U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,164,426 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how you can just "fall off" unless the railings are too low. What are they, thigh high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,572,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Wow if that's true, no more Carnival for me. Was on the fence about them over all the other issues they have had already.

Interesting as I read the article

"Passengers are most likely to go overboard on the last night of their cruise, and many are found to be either drunk, climbing on the railings or jumping between balconies."
I've been on a few Carnival cruises and somehow managed to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
People getting tanked and then falling over the rails on Oceania or Windstar or Celebrity. It's not something faulty with the ships, it really is the type of people that choose the line based on what kind of deals and low prices they can find.

Cheap cruise? Cheap people.

Disclaimer: That is not to say that every single person who chooses Carnival is a cheap drunk who doesn't make wise decisions, so don't get indignant. If you've got any cruising experience, you know I'm right.
This makes a lot of sense. I've been on RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival. We were actually worried about booking a Carnival cruise the first time because we knew the reputation. But we did go ahead and book a 7 day cruise on one of their larger, newer ships with friends. We ended up having a fantastic time. I'd been on a RCCL years earlier, then did 2 Celebrity, then 2 Carnival and then another RCCL. We actually were surpised to find that we thought the food was better on Carnival than on RCCL. Our last Carnival cruise was about 7 years ago, so maybe the food has gone downhill since then. But we found RCCL's restaurant where you pay extra was comparable to the food we got on Carnival every night with no upcharge.

Oh, and if this woman was travelling with her 4 kids, she may have jumped overboard to escape.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:21 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
People often fall over side on our local cruise ships. Attempting suicide is seldom the reason, but instead this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"Hey, hold my beer and watch this!"
or this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's not like it's actually hard to climb over the deck railing on a cruise ship and alcohol can make stupid ideas like climbing over the railing sound like a great idea sometimes.
Or thirdly. "I argued with my wife/husband and I need a cool-off. Hmm, maybe I should just kill myself *hic*. Of course not but this railing is quite slippery. Whoops, help meeeeeeeeeeeeee *splash*.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
falling from the top deck, it's doubtful she would have survived the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
How Many Cruise Ship Passengers Go Overboard Each Year?

Not all that uncommon. According to this link, 94 out of 200 such incidents since year 2000 have been on Carnival ships. I wonder what percentage of cruise ships are Carnival... Or if there is something about their ships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Carnival is known as the Party cruise line. It has a high percentage of young cruisers as well as shorter duration cruises.

I would be willing to bet you could correlate the 200 incidents with a high percentage of drunken passengers.

Carnival owns many lines and has more than double the number of ships as the next closest (RCCL) cruise company. Coincidently, their market share of world wide pax is 47%.

Carnival Corporation's market share

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I imagine somebody super drunk would "want" to. Not in a suicidal way, but in a "hey let's see what happens if I do this, wow look pretty water cool waves" way. Drunk people can be pretty reckless and not think at all about consequences of their actions.

This is why I avoid getting super drunk in pretty much all scenarios.

not that I'm judging, but just curious as to which scenarios are open to getting super drunk...I may need to consider adding more items to my list of activities.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 AM

20,596 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
falling from the top deck, it's doubtful she would have survived the fall.

Carnival owns many lines and has more than double the number of ships as the next closest (RCCL) cruise company. Coincidently, their market share of world wide pax is 47%.

Carnival Corporation's market share

Keep in mind that other companies are under the Carnival umbrella. Carnival owns Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn. They all operate as their own company, but Carnival overall owns all of them.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Keep in mind that other companies are under the Carnival umbrella. Carnival owns Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn. They all operate as their own company, but Carnival overall owns all of them.

hence their large market share...no doubt all the other lines under Carnival get rolled up when they talk about the number of lost pax

Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 AM

7,045 posts, read 3,701,331 times
I work on a liveaboard dive boat and we have a briefing before leaving dock where the captain says everyone is welcome to hang out on the dive deck or sun deck any time or even sleep up there but cautions to stay off the rails and not be out there alone, because if you go overboard you may not be missed til next morning and by then the chances for a favorable outcome are slim to none.

I've never been on a cruise. Do they discuss this with passengers before sailing? When a cruise ship has several thousand employees, what would be a few more for security to monitor the decks for stupid behaviour like sitting on or hanging over the rails? Or perhaps some technological solution to detect man overboard. If someone sees a person go overboard and the crew is notified promptly, I bet the chances for recovery (if they survive the fall) are high.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I work on a liveaboard dive boat and we have a briefing before leaving dock where the captain says everyone is welcome to hang out on the dive deck or sun deck any time or even sleep up there but cautions to stay off the rails and not be out there alone, because if you go overboard you may not be missed til next morning and by then the chances for a favorable outcome are slim to none.

I've never been on a cruise. Do they discuss this with passengers before sailing? When a cruise ship has several thousand employees, what would be a few more for security to monitor the decks for stupid behaviour like sitting on or hanging over the rails? Or perhaps some technological solution to detect man overboard. If someone sees a person go overboard and the crew is notified promptly, I bet the chances for recovery (if they survive the fall) are high.

I've been on a couple cruises and while they went over the emergency situations right away and in great detail, I can't recall them ever coming right out and telling us not to sit or hang off the deck railings! You'd think they would be quite explicit on those precautions.

Perhaps having a tether hooked to each passenger when they are outside might be the way to go.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 AM

11,895 posts, read 9,616,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not that I'm judging, but just curious as to which scenarios are open to getting super drunk...I may need to consider adding more items to my list of activities.
Parties, out with friends, concerts, holidays... cruise ships.

... Too soon?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:36 AM

2,850 posts, read 765,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Why do people always go for more complex (and convoluted) explanations rather than the simplest one?
Like: 'Gravity Sucks!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or