U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:44 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,149,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've never been on a cruise. Do they discuss this with passengers before sailing? When a cruise ship has several thousand employees, what would be a few more for security to monitor the decks for stupid behaviour like sitting on or hanging over the rails? Or perhaps some technological solution to detect man overboard. If someone sees a person go overboard and the crew is notified promptly, I bet the chances for recovery (if they survive the fall) are high.
The safety precautions are pretty extensive. Before leaving port on the first day, the emergency siren is demonstrated. When it sounds, passengers are required to walk from their cabins via their evacuation route to their muster station, which is either next to their assigned lifeboat or in an area from which there is easy access to this location. (Attendance is taken, and the captain will not dismiss the passengers from the drill until all of them are accounted for.) Crew members demonstrate how to put on a life jacket, and the passengers put theirs on. (Or at least they used to; I don't think they did this on my most recent cruise.)

To be sure, I've never heard anyone say not to climb on the railings. But these railings are high enough that unless the ship is capsizing, or you make it a habit of walking around on stilts, the odds of accidentally falling overboard are only a little better than winning the lottery. Thus, virtually everyone who goes overboard either climbed on the railings (either to commit suicide or in a drunken stupor or on a dare) or was thrown over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Every cruise line gets a nickname based on the typical clientele, (one I worked for was "geriatrics on the sea")

So, how'd you like working for Holland America?

Old 05-16-2016, 12:00 PM

20,720 posts, read 15,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I work on a liveaboard dive boat and we have a briefing before leaving dock where the captain says everyone is welcome to hang out on the dive deck or sun deck any time or even sleep up there but cautions to stay off the rails and not be out there alone, because if you go overboard you may not be missed til next morning and by then the chances for a favorable outcome are slim to none.

I've never been on a cruise. Do they discuss this with passengers before sailing? When a cruise ship has several thousand employees, what would be a few more for security to monitor the decks for stupid behaviour like sitting on or hanging over the rails? Or perhaps some technological solution to detect man overboard. If someone sees a person go overboard and the crew is notified promptly, I bet the chances for recovery (if they survive the fall) are high.
They don't come out and specifically say, "Don't be stupid enough to sit on the railings." I guess they figure that people are smart enough to figure that out. Apparently not everyone is, OR, they aren't that smart when they've been drinking. They have cameras on just about every part of that ship, (except in your state room), and they have crew up 24/7, but you have to recognize just how hard the crew on the ships work. They work extremely long hours, they are always "on" even on their downtime because the guests get to recognize the crew and when the crew actually does get a day off, and they go in to port, you've got guests harassing them about all kinds of woes and troubles as if the crew member a) can do anything about it b) wants to do anything about it on his/her day off. The crew already does so much for all of these guests, they should not have to baby sit grown adults.

Motion detector would get set off all the time over the craziest things because the ship is in constant motion, (except at port). It would probably end up costing a lot of money.

The real solution is: Don't get drunk on a cruise. Seriously. It's not wise to get drunk on a cruise ship not just to prevent yourself from deciding to sit on a rail or try to climb from one balcony to the next, but because you don't know all of those people on board with you, you sure don't want to be drunk out in the town you don't know in a country you don't know with strangers you don't know...there is so much to do on a cruise ship, I have never understood why on earth people would feel the need to treat it like nothing more than a bar back home. It's just stupid to get drunk on a cruise ship.

Considering the number of passengers that go on cruises each year, the number that fall overboard for whatever reasons are such a small fraction that it would not be cost efficient to install any such motion detector and pass those costs on to consumers who are not stupid enough to get drunk and climb on rails, or try to jump across the side of the ship, or any other idiotic stunts.

You might ask how much is a person's life worth...I would ask the same of the person who decided a few $5 drinks were worth their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So, how'd you like working for Holland America?

Guess the other one I worked for, Mr. Smarty.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:20 PM

508 posts, read 305,044 times
Serious question. How much do horse trainers make a year that they have no financial worries?

As for the woman, people commit suicide all the time irregardless of children, marital status, financial status....

Old 05-16-2016, 12:22 PM

11,836 posts, read 7,728,213 times
1st thing to do is check what type of meds the person takes regularly.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM

2,961 posts, read 1,362,517 times
Human behavior is what it is.
You tell people to not do something because it is dangerous. More people will try to "Do It". The challenge is overwhelming.
So do you not tell people and rely on common sense? What is common sense?
YcsMV.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:32 PM

2,961 posts, read 1,362,517 times
Finished my virgin cruise this month of May.
One of things I wanted to know was "How far could I overhang my head over the railing to throw-up?" Discovered that the railing around the ship is high enough to just get my chin over the rail. Walked the entire deck and this is so. I was better to lie in the deck and throw-up near one of the rail's drain openings. At least I wouldn't be accused of thowing stuff overboard-Ship had a ZeroTolerance to throwing "stuff" overboard. Beside, we were passing by Mom's/family beach house. (we had an interior cabin, midships)

Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM

15,871 posts, read 13,463,604 times
Who would want to get hammered on the last night of a cruise? When you have to be up at 6 am slogging through all the bull**** to get off the ship, get your luggage, go through customs and immigration and get to your plane or whatever. Disembarking is a nightmare even if you are a VIP.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 PM

1,504 posts, read 576,916 times
My eldest daughter just lost one of her friends. It was a young lady...smart- confident and fit. She decided to sit on the rail of a balcony- It was only the second story. She toppled backwards and died instantly of a head injury...you want to stay alive...? Never take anything for granted - you must protect yourself at all times.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Guess the other one I worked for, Mr. Smarty.

Given your apparently detailed knowledge of Carnival's clientele, I'm going to guess the line whose ships have those pointy red funnels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or