U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 PM

30,510 posts, read 9,116,959 times

Advertisements

For crying out loud there were probably 200 chairs on that deck, and she she's hanging around the railing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 PM

20,677 posts, read 15,457,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Maybe they should just electrify the railings on cruise ships and on high hotel balconies where alcohol and stupid people don't mix? A good jolt will make them think twice about climbing the railing for any reason.
I would almost be for that except for the fact that birds will get electrocuted when they land on the railings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
What a way to die...bobbing about treading water with no land in sight for a thousand miles....horrific...that is right up there with being buried alive.
IF she was even conscious after smacking the water that hard...and managed to flail her way back up to the surface after a dive like that...then yes, I can't imagine a more lonely horrible feeling than bobbing in the dark water watching your cruise ship sail away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
those ships should all have some kind of netting to prevent such tragedies..they certainly have enough money to do so..corporate greed will prevent that though..
It has nothing to do with corporate greed. Not everything is about corporate greed. Why do people NEVER take in to account other reasons why their solutions would not work? Do you think the cruise lines have NEVER thought of any of these solutions before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
The overwhelmingly vast majority of cruisers do not require safety netting in order to stay alive while at sea. In addition to obstructing views, they could create a huge hazard for sea birds. Darwin's law dictates that a small percentage of human beings will defy all odds and find a way to end their lives prematurely. I do not think this can be helped, nor do I think that we can try much harder than we already do through nannyism to stop people from doing dumb things that sometimes have terrible consequences. It is not an issue of greed. It's an issue of stupidity.
THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Never been on a cruise, and I never plan on taking one. There's always the chance of this type of thing happening (going overboard, possibly accidentally) and I have also heard of numerous cases of people on cruises being severely affected by food poisoning.

Sure, food poisoning can happen elsewhere, but I'd be a lot more confident in food that's been freshly prepared than food that's been on a cruise ship for days on end (unless it's been securely frozen on the ship)...
The ships are very strict about safety and they don't bend the rules on anything. I'd be more worried about catching something from another pax than the food. Those chefs onboard take great pride in their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Usually the culprit is norovirus which can be spread through food but also from contact with any infected surface. The issue is primarily due to infected people not washing their hands before dealing with food or anything else after using the bathroom, and it is spread through vomit as well. The virus is nasty and can actually be spread via aerosolized vomit particles (I know, gross) so bathrooms or anywhere else where someone can or will throw up in public are easy contaminants. Norovirus is rampant in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc but you hear about it most often on cruises because the captains have to report epidemics to the CDC when only a small number of people are reporting being sick (2%). There are stricter rules regarding reporting norovirus on ships but in reality the rate of infection and incidence is low/normal. Norovirus is often responsible for a lot of stomach bugs especially in the winter months, it's not just a cruise thing. Also regarding cruises, many have buffet options for meals which makes spreading the virus easier because everyone is touching the utensils. Often in outbreaks the staff will serve passengers or close buffets all together. From what I hear and experiences I've read crews handle norovirus outbreaks pretty well.

There is nothing wrong with food on cruise ships. If I were to guess the issue and cause for initial outbreaks often is the passengers. Many people are unhygienic and don't wash their hands. It's likely they bring it onto the ship from an outside source in the first place, and once on the ship it's very easy to spread because the virus is highly contagious and virulent. Once on the ship for one trip, it's very hard to kill and very easy to spread and lasts for a while on surfaces so it can reappear in the very next voyage. Ships run on tight schedules and you can't exactly take a full day for cleaning between voyages without pissing off a lot of people.

I've been on two Royal Caribbean cruises and as far as I know, no norovirus or any other issues, including people falling overboard, on either. The experiences were actually pretty great. However, I am aware bad experiences and incidents do happen. I just think you tend to hear about the bad far more often than the good or the uneventful (obviously). Think of how many cruises there are on the oceans right now. All the lines and voyages and different ships.
Again, THANK YOU! I can't even tell you how many times I had to explain this while working at the cruise lines. WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE! Remember that little trick you learned when you were young? If you're on an enclosed environment and you touch railings, elevator buttons, door knobs, backs of chairs, tongs, etc, and then you go sit down to eat without washing your hands, well guess what? You just may be the next contestant for Norovirus.

Norovirus happens all over the place, but you only hear about it on cruise ships because the media likes to hype everything up to be bigger than it is, and they always find the ONE pax who wants to sue the cruise lines because they, the pax themselves, didn't use basic hygiene. Your mother told you to wash your hands before you eat for a reason! Your mother told you not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth after touching things in public, for a reason! Those aren't old wives tales, those are actual lessons you needed to know to prevent illnesses!

And again, considering just how many people cruise every single year compared to those who fall off the ships, there is absolutely no reason necessary for the cruise ships to start altering things, costing paying customers more, causing problems for wildlife, and actually destroying the appearance of the ships for the few knuckleheads who were never taught: Don't sit on a balcony. Anywhere! Ever. Most especially on a MOVING SHIP.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:12 PM

10,291 posts, read 4,132,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Again, THANK YOU! I can't even tell you how many times I had to explain this while working at the cruise lines. WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE! Remember that little trick you learned when you were young? If you're on an enclosed environment and you touch railings, elevator buttons, door knobs, backs of chairs, tongs, etc, and then you go sit down to eat without washing your hands, well guess what? You just may be the next contestant for Norovirus.

Norovirus happens all over the place, but you only hear about it on cruise ships because the media likes to hype everything up to be bigger than it is, and they always find the ONE pax who wants to sue the cruise lines because they, the pax themselves, didn't use basic hygiene. Your mother told you to wash your hands before you eat for a reason! Your mother told you not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth after touching things in public, for a reason! Those aren't old wives tales, those are actual lessons you needed to know to prevent illnesses!

And again, considering just how many people cruise every single year compared to those who fall off the ships, there is absolutely no reason necessary for the cruise ships to start altering things, costing paying customers more, causing problems for wildlife, and actually destroying the appearance of the ships for the few knuckleheads who were never taught: Don't sit on a balcony. Anywhere! Ever. Most especially on a MOVING SHIP.
When you take into consideration that these floating cities, full of mixed passengers and staff, are going 7-9 months out of the year, non stop, every week, these incidences are REALLY small. I don't think people remember that these ships are going all day, everyday, not just when you are on your cruise, it's a massive industry.

Cruising is the cheapest way for me to go home, Bermuda. I've never once seen anyone sit on a railing, I've never gotten sick and LOVE cruising and will continue to do so.

You can't fix stupid.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,658,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I agree. Plenty of affluent/rich/well to do people are financial messes. Having a prestigious job doesn't mean no financial issues.
Exactly, dumb comment to make by the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WOW!

Horse trainers are immune from financial woes?

Who knew?
LOL. Years ago a friend of mine who is a teacher suspected possible abuse in the home of a student by the mother. Another teacher said "Oh no, she dresses so nice"

So I guess only people with certain jobs can have financail woes and a well dressed parent can never be abusive.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 PM

5,852 posts, read 8,441,366 times
Karl Broberg, husband, is the leading trainer of thoroughbred horses in this country.

He has many wins (more than anyone) in his career.

Karl is currently the leading U.S. trainer in terms of wins this year (126). He had 10 horses entered Saturday at Prairie Meadows, Evangeline Downs, Louisiana Downs, and Lone Star Park, but had rushed home to be with his family.

Thoroughbred Racing Times

Old 05-16-2016, 08:30 PM

397 posts, read 762,953 times
I suppose they should get rid of the railings and have something 20 foot high so it would need to be deliberate.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,658,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Karl Broberg, husband, is the leading trainer of thoroughbred horses in this country.

He has many wins (more than anyone) in his career.

Karl is currently the leading U.S. trainer in terms of wins this year (126). He had 10 horses entered Saturday at Prairie Meadows, Evangeline Downs, Louisiana Downs, and Lone Star Park, but had rushed home to be with his family.

Thoroughbred Racing Times
So what? Celebrities have financial issues. A famous baseball player(whose name escapes me at the moment) was locked out of his own home by the bank. He had millions but was in debt and way behind on his mortgage.

It's foolish to assume to someone who appears to be wealthy or famous can't have financial issues.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 PM

32,605 posts, read 17,677,007 times
Default Woman "falls" over side of Cruise ship

It's not so easy to fall overboard on a cruise ship. The railings are high enough that it would take some effort.

On a naval ship? Much easier, but the sailors are young and not so clumsy so it doesn't happen often.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 PM

11,902 posts, read 9,633,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It bothers me that so many people always like to place blame on anyone but the idiots who got themselves killed in situations like this. Common sense says not to sit on a railing or lean over a railing on a cruise ship or any other large boat in the middle of the freakin' ocean. Just like common sense would tell you not to lean over a balcony or sit on a railing 60 stories up in a high rise hotel in Manhattan. There is no difference between this and a cruise ship. Water is NOT a softer landing. It is NOT a fun trip down, and you will probably die. If you don't die on impact, you will die lonely, eventually drown due to exhaustion, in the middle of the ocean, watching the ship sail away and likely see nothing but more and more waves as far as your eyes can see for the rest of your now short life.

Yet there are always people who love to blame the ship, or other passengers, or the captain, or the crew, or society. Never the victim though - yes she's a victim but she's a victim of herself. She's a victim of her own stupidity, her own bad decision. Does this mean I'm happy she's dead and am sitting there laughing not feeling at all bad for her? Of course not. It's sad. She left behind 4 kids and a husband. She was young - 33. But let's not pretend that what she did wasn't completely idiotic and wasn't her own fault - it was. The crew shouldn't have to tell you not to lean over or sit on a railing at night over the open ocean. The crew shouldn't have to install a giant net for the occasional idiots who will tempt fate and ignore common sense.

There is no one to blame but this passenger herself. Simple as that. Harsh fact? Maybe. But fact nonetheless.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,031,741 times
It's always the routine reaction here especially in the USA that it is someone else's fault when bad things happen. Personal responsibility takes a backseat. I have taken my kids on cruises when they were tweens and teens. They had enough common sense not lean and not to sit on a rail. I have seen people of a ages on many cruises and they seem to survive with no problems due to exercising BASIC common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or