Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Yes, another one. A 33 year old, mother of 4 kids on a 4-day Carnival Cruise ship at 2 AM "accidentally "fell overboard from the Lido deck. Suspicious? I would say so. Suicide? Who knows? I just have a hard time believing this was accidental. Even if you are dead drunk, wouldn't you have a hard time crawling onto the railing unless you really wanted to? Her hubby is a horse trainer so this can't be financial woes. And leaving 4 kids ? There is more to this story....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 01:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
There is video, and the authorities have not said they think there is any foul play. Until they bring it up, I'll go with just bad judgement/luck on her part.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:03 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, another one. A 33 year old, mother of 4 kids on a 4-day Carnival Cruise ship at 2 AM "accidentally "fell overboard from the Lido deck. Suspicious? I would say so. Suicide? Who knows? I just have a hard time believing this was accidental. Even if you are dead drunk, wouldn't you have a hard time crawling onto the railing unless you really wanted to? Her hubby is a horse trainer so this can't be financial woes. And leaving 4 kids ? There is more to this story....
How Many Cruise Ship Passengers Go Overboard Each Year?

Not all that uncommon. According to this link, 94 out of 200 such incidents since year 2000 have been on Carnival ships. I wonder what percentage of cruise ships are Carnival... Or if there is something about their ships.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:04 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Death by stupid is always a possibility on cruise ships where there's a lot of alcohol. Alcohol can do that. It's not like it's actually hard to climb over the deck railing on a cruise ship and alcohol can make stupid ideas like climbing over the railing sound like a great idea sometimes.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:07 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Links? Was she playing King of the World and fell off?

PhxBarb, I don't think most horse trainers make a substantial living.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Why do people always go for more complex (and convoluted) explanations rather than the simplest one?

People do dumb things. They pet bison at Yellowstone and pose for photos on the ledges of high-rises. Many a last-words are "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!". Every year, college students (often drunk) fall to their deaths off apartment balconies or out dorm windows.

Given the millions of people who take cruises every year, you're amazed that a relative handful take an unintended swim?

Occam's Razor. Sure, it's possible she was offed by her husband (or maybe terrorists, or the mafia, or the KGB, or....). But it is very likely that she was just drunk and/or foolish.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Why do people always go for more complex (and convoluted) explanations rather than the simplest one?

People do dumb things. They pet bison at Yellowstone and pose for photos on the ledges of high-rises. Many a last-words are "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!". Every year, college students (often drunk) fall to their deaths off apartment balconies or out dorm windows.

Given the millions of people who take cruises every year, you're amazed that a relative handful take an unintended swim?

Occam's Razor. Sure, it's possible she was offed by her husband (or maybe terrorists, or the mafia, or the KGB, or....). But it is very likely that she was just drunk and/or foolish.
Exactly.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:26 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Her husband was not on the cruise. Maybe a hit man. I am joking.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
I imagine somebody super drunk would "want" to. Not in a suicidal way, but in a "hey let's see what happens if I do this, wow look pretty water cool waves" way. Drunk people can be pretty reckless and not think at all about consequences of their actions.

This is why I avoid getting super drunk in pretty much all scenarios.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
How Many Cruise Ship Passengers Go Overboard Each Year?

Not all that uncommon. According to this link, 94 out of 200 such incidents since year 2000 have been on Carnival ships. I wonder what percentage of cruise ships are Carnival... Or if there is something about their ships.
Wow if that's true, no more Carnival for me. Was on the fence about them over all the other issues they have had already.

Interesting as I read the article

"Passengers are most likely to go overboard on the last night of their cruise, and many are found to be either drunk, climbing on the railings or jumping between balconies."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events