U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times

Advertisements

I don't know why this is so hard for some to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq2NlX4sNDY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 AM

18,888 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Because, the NPS states, "Our goal is to maintain the ecological processes of Yellowstone". Which ecological process of Yellowstone is humans killing wildlife?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 AM

8,975 posts, read 3,118,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
The NPS folks did exactly the right thing. You see a cute baby animal die and freak out and start accusing people of not "trying to save it".

Do you suggest they do the same with every baby animal in the wild that's been rejected by its herd? Do you know about brucellosis? Quarantines? The fact that bison are considered far too dangerous to keep as pets or captive animals? Would you rather they left the thing to get hit by a car or injure a person? Even if the facilities existed or the $$ was there to keep it in quarantine and keep it alive long enough to go to a "rescue" It would never survive in the wild after being had-raised and bison are huge, dangerous animals that aren't suited to captivity. They get sick, they die, or they end up hurting themselves or the misguided humans who think everything furry just needs love and food.

They likely would have left it to starve or be killed by predators (which is what happens 100% of the time when a baby bison is rejected by the herd) if it hadn't imprinted on humans and already started exhibiting dangerous behavior, but that's the fault of the idiots who put it in their car, not the Rangers who devote their WHOLE LIVES to the parks and the preservation of these animals.

I've spent a huge amount of time in our parks, studying the animals and the natural ecosystems, as an earth scientist and an outdoor enthusiast who comes from a long line of Rangers and forest service, and it pains me to read these armchair "I know better than the experts" comments coming from so many people. You don't. Respect their knowledge, experience, and decision-making. Stick to whatever it is you know about and let these deeply devoted folks do what they know.
Excellent post.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:55 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,439,256 times
Quote:

You'd think they massacred an entire herd. It was just one calf and they were humane. They could have just let it continue to roam until it starved or was killed. They are not a zoo nor are they responsible for providing animals to zoos or farms.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:

Of those in the public, who has a biology degree (to say nothing about how those who go after such degrees are viewed these days)?

One of the things I try to get across to underwater visitors is not to tease pufferfish to blow up. To a tourist, it is "fun" to see such a display. One has to understand, though, that the fish is not an actor, is not showing off to the passerbys. He's scared to death and this is defensive reaction, a reaction that will exhaust him.

Curiously enough, I learned that last item as a child......reading it in a Ranger Rick magazine.....but who reads such stuff today?

Long story short, it appears that unless one is actually working in a field, has studied extensively in a field, they are not likely to know the reality of this or that field.

What they know of this or that field, if they are not in it, will come from TV.......and we know that TV is often wrong.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,522,928 times
Okay, so the herd rejected the baby, but I don't understand why the Rangers did not follow their own protocol and just leave the baby and let nature take its course.

A family of bears, mountain lions, wolves etc missed a meal in lieu of euthanasia?

A family of eagles, hawks, buzzards ravens missed out on picking his bones. Several insect families missed out on decomposing, and the earth missed out on becoming richer soil through a natural process.

I'm not criticizing, just questioning why they wouldn't proceed following their established protocol, especially if they are citing that protocol as a reason for un-naturally killing the calf.

In the end, its no big deal. Tourists need to mind their business, and leave other creatures babies alone.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:30 AM

6,298 posts, read 3,477,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Okay, so the herd rejected the baby, but I don't understand why the Rangers did not follow their own protocol and just leave the baby and let nature take its course.

I'm not criticizing, just questioning why they wouldn't proceed following their established protocol, especially if they are citing that protocol as a reason for un-naturally killing the calf.
The calf started hanging around by the roadside and approaching cars. This could have lead to an auto accident, or to another clueless tourist being accidentally injured by the calf.

If the calf had wandered off after the herd instead of hanging around the roadside, the rangers would have let it be.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:31 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,522,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The calf started hanging around by the roadside and approaching cars. This could have lead to an auto accident, or to another clueless tourist being accidentally injured by the calf.

If the calf had wandered off after the herd instead of hanging around the roadside, the rangers would have let it be.

Makes sense. Thanks for the feasible explanation.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:50 PM

18,888 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

A family of bears, mountain lions, wolves etc missed a meal in lieu of euthanasia?

A family of eagles, hawks, buzzards ravens missed out on picking his bones. Several insect families missed out on decomposing, and the earth missed out on becoming richer soil through a natural process.

In the end, its no big deal. Tourists need to mind their business, and leave other creatures babies alone.
Very wise post.

The park service is inconsistent nowadays. And of course, we can all thank them for the controlled burns they have set on windy days that then get out of control.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 PM

13,407 posts, read 5,207,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The park service is inconsistent nowadays. And of course, we can all thank them for the controlled burns they have set on windy days that then get out of control.
It was the absence of those burns that turned minor fires into wildfires. Also certain tree cones don't burst without burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or