U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 02:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 10,327,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yes. Sick about this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 10,327,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How could they not have thought the mother might become alarmed, and charge them? They could have been seriously injured or killed! Aren't there signs all over that say "Do not approach the wildlife" or something of that sort?
Yes. I've never been to Yellowstone but every national (and state) park I've been to has signs all over the place regarding wildlife.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 AM

3,477 posts, read 4,362,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Yellowstone and other national parks are great places for people watching. If you're looking for stupid people, you won't have to wait long.
If you're people watching in National Parks you're doing it wrong ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes! This!
But I've got to disagree with you in part about Yellowstone. I love the place. But to really enjoy it, you do need to be willing to hike at least a half-mile or so away from the major sights. Once you're a couple of miles into the backcountry, the park changes utterly. (Going during the less busy seasons helps a lot, too.)
I totally agree! Once you put about half a mile between you and the nearest paved road (especially if it's a half mile mostly uphill) there are far fewer people and the ones that there are MUCH more pleasant. I'm not a huge outdoorsperson, but you can tell when you've escaped the crowds once the people you pass start saying "hi".

I've only been to Yellowstone once, and even then it was before summer season started, but I didn't think it was that overrun by tourists. Yosemite, which I've probably been to a dozen times, is way worse. It is both my favorite (off-season or back country) and least favorite (in the valley during the summer) National Park for basically this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Musta been city folk...
And from somewhere warm. I read that the temperatures were in the 40s.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 AM

3,138 posts, read 3,962,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Yellowstone is the worst experience I have ever had. I can not believe how stupid people are.

Things I saw just in 1 day.

1. Some one dropped their hat on the banks of grand prismatic spring so they jumped off the trail into the spring run off. Even though it explicitly states what a delicate habitat it is. Not a kid, an older woman....

...The point of Yellowstone is not as a refuge or a zoo but a window in to an untouched world where we don't meddle.
I wondered what Grand Prismatic Spring was, so I googled it, and found this lovely moment: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...8238348b2.html

Personally, I'd love watching those guys' heads disappear into a ruby-toned spray, back in the parking lot (where their surprise summary removal from the World of the Living would not further damage the ecosystem).

Old 05-17-2016, 07:12 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,838,298 times
It's probably for the best that the family's original plans to instead visit Wolverine National Park fell through...

Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 AM

19,290 posts, read 20,172,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes. I've never been to Yellowstone but every national (and state) park I've been to has signs all over the place regarding wildlife.
The problem is that those signs are only printed on English. Although the nationality of the calf kidnappers was not reported, they were identified as foreign. I'm guessing Chinese...

https://www.rt.com/viral/340369-yell...oved-to-death/

Chinese Tourists in Yellowstone - KULR8.com | Local News, Weather & Sports | Billings, MT

This business near Yellowstone caters to Chinese tourists

Old 05-17-2016, 07:51 AM

6,316 posts, read 3,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The problem is that those signs are only printed on English. Although the nationality of the calf kidnappers was not reported, they were identified as foreign. I'm guessing Chinese...
They put a picture on them of a person being attacked by an animal, though, to make the message fairly plain even to those who don't speak English.

And the times I've visited the park, the tourists I saw blatantly ignoring the signs were Americans, so they don't have that excuse.

Some people seem to have only one lens through which to view animals (pets/zoo animals), and can't seem to grasp that in the National Parks there's no effort made to insure the long-term health and well being of each individual animal (nor should there be - it's wilderness, not a zoo).

Old 05-17-2016, 07:52 AM

6,316 posts, read 3,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's probably for the best that the family's original plans to instead visit Wolverine National Park fell through...
Thanks for the laugh! Your post made my morning.

Last edited by Aredhel; 05-17-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM

21,023 posts, read 25,829,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
............signage to tell them what do do in the various circumstances when encountering wildlife ...........
Ah yes, signs. The last time I stayed in Yellowstone, there was a large bison laying down right next to the sign that said something about staying away from the bison and that they were dangerous. A tourist was boldly walking up very close to the bison to snap a photo. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera or I would have gotten a nice shot of the tourist standing a couple of feet away from the bison, the snoozing bison, and the sign, right there within inches, that clearly stated not to get near the bison.

Lucky for that idiot, it was a bison who lived right on the hotel grounds so he was accustomed to tourists and he was too tired to bother getting up. At least the tourist had enough sense to not try to pet him, because I think that would have changed the situation.

Signs and rules don't apply to special people. Just ask them. They will tell you so.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM

19,290 posts, read 20,172,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Ah yes, signs. The last time I stayed in Yellowstone, there was a large bison laying down right next to the sign that said something about staying away from the bison and that they were dangerous. A tourist was boldly walking up very close to the bison to snap a photo. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera or I would have gotten a nice shot of the tourist standing a couple of feet away from the bison, the snoozing bison, and the sign, right there within inches, that clearly stated not to get near the bison.

Lucky for that idiot, it was a bison who lived right on the hotel grounds so he was accustomed to tourists and he was too tired to bother getting up. At least the tourist had enough sense to not try to pet him, because I think that would have changed the situation.

Signs and rules don't apply to special people. Just ask them. They will tell you so.
They'll also demand gluten-free food and peanut-free snacks -- for their comfort animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or