Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:25 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Wow,but its alot cheaper to pay them then house them in prison which causes even more crime.I believe the government shouldnt pay them to not commit crimes but instead offer them job 100% guartnee if they dont commit a crime.
From what I understand, that is basically what they are doing. After 6 months in the program, they become peer counselors or fulfill another roll within the organization and get a stipend for that. It looks like the program works, I never thought it would have the success that it has. Richmond has had a high crime rate for decades and if this makes it safer for the public then I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 05:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times
Sooooo, what do I need to do to be given $1000? Should I start shooting people so they'll pay me to stop?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Sooooo, what do I need to do to be given $1000? Should I start shooting people so they'll pay me to stop?
How about you move to Richmond, shoot people and then report back

Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
In Richmond, the city has hired ex-convicts to mentor dozens of its most violent offenders and allows them to take unconventional steps if it means preventing the next homicide.

For example, the mentors have coaxed inebriated teenagers threatening violence into city cars, not for a ride to jail but home to sleep it off — sometimes with loaded firearms still in their waistbands.

And when the elaborate efforts at engagement fail, the mentors still pay those who pledge to improve, even when, like Holmes, they are caught with a gun, or worse — suspected of murder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...74e_story.html

Like Forrest said..........Stupid is as stupid does

Old 05-18-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
In Richmond, the city has hired ex-convicts to mentor dozens of its most violent offenders and allows them to take unconventional steps if it means preventing the next homicide. For example, the mentors have coaxed inebriated teenagers threatening violence into city cars, not for a ride to jail but home to sleep it off — sometimes with loaded firearms still in their waistbands. And when the elaborate efforts at engagement fail, the mentors still pay those who pledge to improve, even when, like Holmes, they are caught with a gun, or worse — suspected of murder.Like Forrest said..........Stupid is as stupid does
You need to quit smacking yourself so much. Most of the unsourced allegations in your link are just not true. I know enough Richmond cops to know that no one in the program ever got away with a homicide by virtue of being a participant - that is just stupid.

Here is a complete report on the program
http://www.nccdglobal.org/sites/defa...evaluation.pdf

Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,744,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How do you sign up? I'd be very happy to not shoot anyone for $1000 a month.

Could we make that retroactive? I've never shot anyone and I'd like to have some back pay for that.
I'm with you, 40 years never convicted for a felony, damn I can pay off this house.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:27 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Even better, how about a City-Data program paying certain posters not to post?

I'd be a millionaire.....

Old 05-19-2016, 07:31 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How do you sign up? I'd be very happy to not shoot anyone for $1000 a month.

Could we make that retroactive? I've never shot anyone and I'd like to have some back pay for that.
Yeah, give me my $352,000.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
this is stupid and smart at the same time! haha
City pays criminals to NOT commit crimes - CNN Video

"Homicides by firearm have declined dramatically since the Office of Neighborhood Safety in Richmond, CA, started its Operation Peacemaker initiative in 2009. "

and Counselors who help the gang members their requirement was to have a "felony" on their record.
Crime pays these days
if US Military doesn't negotiate with terrorists. why should this be allowed.
A better way would be a "partially refundable fine" where the refund comes from going some length of time with no new offense. No perverse incentive, best of both worlds.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times
Why not just put a bullet to the back of the head? I'm pretty sure .308 WIN can be had for a lot less than a $1000 per offender
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events