U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,221 posts, read 7,405,156 times
Reputation: 17867

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You may not give a pass to cancer survivors or soldiers who've had their genitals blown off by roadside bombs. I do.

Yes, I'm sure JAMA or the NEJM does have more indepth reading material on the matter but I am talking about CD, nothing else. There are many intelligent, mature people here who I've learned much from or at least enjoyed a productive conversation with. Maybe some day we'll have such an occasion. Cheers.

Perhaps you should be more respectful and give me one of those passes - I am, after all, a cancer survivor. Colon. Had part of my plumbing resected in 2009. But I don't ask for special treatment because of something over which I had no control.

I have known a few cancer survivors who weren't changed into heroes because of their malady. As for soldiers, I give them all due respect for the job they do. Even the ones who managed to come through it unscathed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM
 
Location: League City
3,267 posts, read 6,285,091 times
Reputation: 3752
This isn't special treatment, it's basic human dignity. Sheez. Not all males find the story amusing. I promise you that. A joke or two is expected, but this thread feel makes me feel like I have regressed back to jr high. After the initial wincing from reading the story, I'm happy for the guy. You lose the one thing that makes you a man (or a woman, I doubt people would rattle off jokes about feminine cancer but for some reason male genitals are always fair game) and it's got to really hit you mentally. Anyway, I wish him well. Carry on Mr Thomas Manning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 12:07 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Perhaps you should be more respectful and give me one of those passes - I am, after all, a cancer survivor. Colon. Had part of my plumbing resected in 2009. But I don't ask for special treatment because of something over which I had no control.

I have known a few cancer survivors who weren't changed into heroes because of their malady. As for soldiers, I give them all due respect for the job they do. Even the ones who managed to come through it unscathed.
I think you confuse respect for one's condition and respect for one's words. They are not one and the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This isn't special treatment, it's basic human dignity. Sheez. Not all males find the story amusing. I promise you that. A joke or two is expected, but this thread feel makes me feel like I have regressed back to jr high. After the initial wincing from reading the story, I'm happy for the guy. You lose the one thing that makes you a man (or a woman, I doubt people would rattle off jokes about feminine cancer but for some reason male genitals are always fair game) and it's got to really hit you mentally. Anyway, I wish him well. Carry on Mr Thomas Manning!


I wonder how well these jokes would have been received if we were talking about breast reconstruction surgery for women who've survived breast cancer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,221 posts, read 7,405,156 times
Reputation: 17867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think you confuse respect for one's condition and respect for one's words. They are not one and the same.
Au contraire. It was you who gave a pass to cancer survivors and soldiers who lost their genitals, carte blanche without knowing them or what words they may have used relative to their loss.

What words I said that offended you in this thread, I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing that while I didn't make any tawdry comments about the gentleman and his loss/gain, I also didn't think harshly about the men who did so because their reaction(s) are instinctive.

I think that pretty much all of the sly comments have been made. I have justified my own stance. Now I can leave and find some enlightening, edifying, uplifting thread...if there is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Way up high
14,072 posts, read 20,152,634 times
Reputation: 14320
So does that mean they can remove one and replace it with another??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 07:16 PM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,488,693 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post


I wonder how well these jokes would have been received if we were talking about breast reconstruction surgery for women who've survived breast cancer?
But we aren't so what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,524,514 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So does that mean they can remove one and replace it with another??
Jokes aside, I think it could be psychologically troubling for a man's wife.

Is the patient still alive when they remove the 'organ' to be transplanted?

I'm happy the cancer patient is doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 PM
AFP
 
6,073 posts, read 3,635,398 times
Reputation: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post


I wonder how well these jokes would have been received if we were talking about breast reconstruction surgery for women who've survived breast cancer?
We don't know the interesting thing is to my knowledge men aren't complaining about the jokes.

On a personal note my mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and had a bilateral mastectomy four days after her diagnoses about six weeks ago and honestly she coped in part by cracking silly jokes about it(that is how some people cope with stressful or uncomfortable situations).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 AM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But we aren't so what's your point?
Comparing two similar situations often gives us a look at inequities in responses. I don't think its funny to make fun of people who've lost their genitals or breasts (or any other body part really). I think people would be appalled if the loss of breasts were joked about but somehow its okay to do it to men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top