U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,555,099 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your life story, hope everything is better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I never thought of harming my child, but I can see how if a person did not have any kind of support and was feeling this way that she could easily go off the deep end and not even realize it.
So even after all you experienced, you never thought about hurting your child. Thats because its not a normal feeling that most mother experience no matter what situation they are in.

Quote:
It would seem that most people thought she was a great teacher and upstanding person. Most people who are decent and known to be good don't just kill their children, so that leads me to think that this woman truly wasn't in her right mind.
Not all people who appear decent are actually decent. They did not know what kind of thoughts was going around in her head. Many serial murders was considered good people before they got caught.

Just because someone claim to have the same illness as you did, doesn't mean they are all truthful. Your symptoms make 100% sense, hers doesn't make sense at all. The kind of people that kill or rape when they are not themselves, are the kind of people who dream about it when they are normal.

She is using your real sickness as an excuse for her horrible actions, you should hate her, not symphatize with her.

Quote:
If there were people lined up to say that she was abusive and they worried for her children, it might put more doubt in my head that she was really going through postpartum psychosis.
Actually if she was abusive it would make more sense, not less. If it is due to PP, then why didn't it affect her other days?

This was not a desperate act of the moment, but a planned murder of her own kids. She is not a person who think her kids are aliens, but is someone who trick them to drink poison, who then drowns them and then freaks out because she realizes she is going to prison. Thats is why I see a psychopath, not someone who is suffering from PP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
I'm going to assume that the judge in this case had enough brain power to be able to ascertain whether this woman was being truthful... and her medical professionals were being ethical and honest in testifying on her behalf that she was, in fact, experiencing postpartum psychosis. Still a really bad, horrifying situation.

Thank you for the well wishes. I am 99.9% good.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:52 PM

10,387 posts, read 7,467,722 times
I'm sure my thoughts have already been expressed by so many others. I believe crimes against children should be punishable by death. No reason for those people to be breathing up good air.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:50 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Without more information, it is really impossible to say whether the sentence was light or not.
Good point. Maybe she murdered them in self defense.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:04 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The article said the judge ruled that the two counts would be served concurrently, meaning at the same time. That's 8 years, not 16.
Maybe he was a friend of her lawyer. Or maybe he was sexually attracted to her. We have "a government of men, not of laws." The same crime committed by different people and sentenced by different judges can get anything from a slap on the wrist to capital punishment, depending on whims of the judge.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:10 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
that after childbirth when the hormone levels are really whacked that this can have an extreme mental/emotional effect on some women.
If that's the case, why do we let women take care of their children unsupervised? They should be certified free of postpartum depression before we ever let them be alone with their children.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,311,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A former teacher who laced her two young children's grape juice with windshield wiper fluid, then drowned them in a bathtub promised on Tuesday to raise awareness of postpartum depression before a judge sentenced her to eight years in prison.

Dressed in an all-white suit, her hands cuffed behind her back, Lisette Bamenga spoke quietly to Judge Martin Marcus, who found her guilty in April of manslaughter in the July 2012 deaths of 4-month-old Violet and 4-year-old Trevor. She had been charged with murder, but her attorney argued she suffered from crippling undiagnosed postpartum psychosis. The judge agreed she suffered from an emotional disturbance severe enough to knock down the charges.

Anyone else think she got off easy?

Mom Who Poisoned, Then Drowned 2 Kids Gets 8 Years in Prison - ABC News
No. She had postpartum psychosis. She will need to live with what she did the rest of her life. Postpartum is psychosis is very real; it is not the usual "baby blues", but full of delusions. The person cannot be held responsible for a disease. If people would be more open about postpartum psychosis, and there was less fear of going forward, getting help, this would happen less in our society. Too much stigma in our society about mental illness. AND getting help for mental health is an act of God.

Remember Andrea Yates WAS in a psychiatric institution, she was discharged before she could be truly helped due to her insurance.

A Review of Postpartum Psychosis

Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Good point. Maybe she murdered them in self defense.
That is a possibility but not in the common concept.

Ie, long story short, if a woman was brought up and held in some religious concept that unless her children were perfect, she was going to hell, that might be the only option she believed left to her.

POINT BEING is we weren't at the trial, we don't know the circumstances, all we have are a few lines in a paragraph, a sound bite..................... so how can we really decide judgement at what happens afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Andrea Yates happened in 2001. Eleven years later another lady chooses to do harm. I think in 11 years the nation has saturated the awareness on Post depression. Help was available, she "chose" to end their lives...
Well, that was one of the things with the Yates case. She was pulled out of treatment when the recommendations went against what the man believed. He wasn't going to let someone else tell him how to raise his family......as I recall it was noted in the briefing.

Basically here, do we know that such did or did not happen, do we know that help was available? Do we know that if help was accepted, what that help said?

No.....we don't.....do we?

So how can we judge better than those who had more information?

Old 05-22-2016, 06:31 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,051,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I think its 16 years total, 8 for each. I've heard of lesser sentences for equally awful things. And I have heard of worse for less. Not surprised anymore.

If she was suffering from postpartum, I can't see how she will ever forgive herself.. In prison, out of prison, I doubt she'll have a great life. I would have to be locked up if I found out I killed my own kids. Very sad for both families involved.

Amen! X 1,000.

I know what it is to lose and bury a child. I didn't murder mine, but I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone. I nearly lost my mind when I lost my son, and I've lived long enough (praise God) to know that all of us are capable of anything, given the right circumstances. Does no one here have a 'There but for the Grace of God go I' perspective? 😢

Old 05-23-2016, 08:04 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,120,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If that's the case, why do we let women take care of their children unsupervised? They should be certified free of postpartum depression before we ever let them be alone with their children.
My guess it's not having children it is the medication the doctors put these women on to handle life. Possibly some women are not meant to have children.......... Anti-depressants are known for suicidal thoughts and killing others, yet we think it is women's hormones or the birthing that causes this.

Haldol (antipsychotic), Effexor & Wellbutrin(antidepressants) linked to mother drowning her 5 children
During a two-year period, Yates was prescribed four extremely potent mind-altering drugs intended to help her through two episodes of severe depression that began after the birth of her fourth child. The first of these psychopharmacological cocktails included Haldol, an antipsychotic most often used to treat schizophrenia; Effexor, an antidepressant very similar to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs); and Wellbutrin, a unique antidepressant that has amphetaminelike effects. According to Yates’ husband, Russell, his wife appeared to respond well to this treatment regimen and, after a short time, became her “old self.”

At the onset of the second episode of depression following the birth of her fifth child, and the subsequent death of her father, Yates again was prescribed a psychopharmacological cocktail. This one contained Effexor and, at the end, Remeron. While information about the Remeron dosage was not made public, Yates’ husband has said that his wife was given Effexor at a dosage nearly twice the recommended maximum limit. Just days before the murders, the Effexor was for some reason reduced to just slightly more than the recommended maximum dosage of 225 mg per day and the Remeron was added.

Psychiatrist Peter Breggin, a psychiatrist, court-qualified medical expert and author of numerous books, including Talking Back to Prozac and the recently released The Anti-Depressant Fact Book, tells Insight: “The mixture of Remeron and Effexor would tend to be extremely agitating and certainly could lead to behavioral disturbances. The mixture of Haldol, Wellbutrin and Effexor is unpredictable in its effects. Haldol actually can cause depression, and putting the three drugs together is somewhat experimental.”

Breggin continues “Haldol is a very blunting drug. It’s difficult to come to any definitive conclusions with so little data about her state of mind at the time. However, Haldol is a drug that produces what can only be referred to as a chemical lobotomy that tends to make a person more docile and robotic.”

I wonder what this person in the OP was taking to handle being a mother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or