U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,322,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
You prove my point exactly. Why even bother to start a business? Startup is very expensive all by itself without layers of governmental regulations thrown in. Why not pass legislation that says companies are guaranteed a gross income that offsets all regulatory induced expenses? Why shouldn't the owner, who is taking all the risks, be guaranteed a living income whether or not his company is successful? Is the entrepreneur any less a working person than the employees he hires?

If you think about it, really, who are the greedy ones here? The person busting his tail and taking all the risk or the person demanding gimme, gimme, gimme?
If you need to have people working at sub minimum wage (divided out hourly) to make your business work, then your business model needs to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM

7,045 posts, read 3,701,331 times
I'm sure many plantation owners were distraught over the loss of unpaid slave labor and worried how they were ever going to maintain their mansions if they had to actually pay for the labor of others. How dare the government interfere with the free market and their right to imprison darker skinned people and work them 16 hours a day for a cup of rice!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
You prove my point exactly. Why even bother to start a business? Startup is very expensive all by itself without layers of governmental regulations thrown in. Why not pass legislation that says companies are guaranteed a gross income that offsets all regulatory induced expenses? Why shouldn't the owner, who is taking all the risks, be guaranteed a living income whether or not his company is successful? Is the entrepreneur any less a working person than the employees he hires?
If you think about it, really, who are the greedy ones here? The person busting his tail and taking all the risk or the person demanding gimme, gimme, gimme?
you might want to look at the topic of this thread. It is about increasing the salary level required for calling an employee a 'manager' and exempting them from overtime. The reason that is being done is because there are currently salaried people who earn less than the minimum wage when dividing their 'salary' by their hourly wage. If a business owner has to resort to those kinds of shenanigans in order to make a profit they have far more serious problems than 'government regulation'

Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 AM

1,296 posts, read 768,263 times
I'm well aware of the topic of thread, more than most posters seem to be. I've also posted this link earlier - http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/49021...#sp=show-clips and guarantee most didn't bother to watch. I mean really, how could the vice-president of White Castle possibly know anything about running a business, right? Why not explain your business model to him?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 AM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of the topic of thread, more than most posters seem to be. I've also posted this link earlier - http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/49021...#sp=show-clips and guarantee most didn't bother to watch. I mean really, how could the vice-president of White Castle possibly know anything about running a business, right? Why not explain your business model to him?
iI watched it but I'm not sure why you offer the VP of White Castle as an expert. They clearly have problems, they are not doing very well, they have been blamed Obamacare, minimum wage hikes and everything else they can think of but bottom line is that to a a good number of people their food just plain sucks.

"White Castle is stuck in limbo–or, perhaps, burgertory. Stray from the past and you risk losing cult followers. Fail to change and you risk getting left behind."

Fast food stores brought on this change all by themselves the evil government was not out to get them. For decades they have played fast and loose with the definition of exempt employee and manager. A manager is supposed to have supervisory duties and the ability to make autonomous decisions but in many fast food shops virtually everyone is a manager and they have no managerial duties, it's done so that they can work them as many hours as they like without ever worrying about paying overtime.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM

12,640 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Quote:

As someone stated; if your business model cannot support paying employees, then you have a poor business model.

Almost anyone can make money with a business with free labor, that is not challenging at all.

The only thing many businesses were doing was extracting reduced cost labor from people by classifying them exempt. The gov corrected a lot of this so it does not happen.

All people like you want is to extract reduced cost labor from someone. You want to pay a flat rate based off of 2080 hours a year, but you want 20% more hours out of it because either you are greedy and want money for yourself, or your business is so poor that you cannot afford to properly pay for the labor needed to keep it going.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM

1,296 posts, read 768,263 times
"As someone stated; if your business model cannot support paying employees, then you have a poor business model."

No, if your business cannot support paying employees, then you don't NEED employees.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,017,127 times
Quote:
You prove my point exactly. Why even bother to start a business? Startup is very expensive all by itself without layers of governmental regulations thrown in.
You keep forgetting that your competition will also have to pay those higher wages. This will allow everyone to charge more.

There might be some dropoff in the size of the pie based on the price point. And there might be a larger pie if the wage increases give people spending money.

You still need to run your business well. Nothing can take the place of that. But with a level playing field sales can be plenty relative to costs.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So I guess putting employees on a salary so they are exempt from overtime and then working them so many hours that they are earning less than minimum wage is perfectly ok with you? Sort of figures...
You know... that is already illegal. If these employees cannot defend themselves enough to push through a complaint against that illegal practice, they are not going to be able to push through a complaint about being illegally classified as exempt and this real revision will mean nothing to them anyway.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM

7,045 posts, read 3,701,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
You know... that is already illegal. If these employees cannot defend themselves enough to push through a complaint against that illegal practice, they are not going to be able to push through a complaint about being illegally classified as exempt and this real revision will mean nothing to them anyway.
No, it is not already illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or