Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
But the workers will be two part timers with No Benefits that a FullTimer Would get .
So what occurs is....

You and all the other folks go out to hire all these part timers....and discover...oh look, theres a ton of training costs, you need 3 people, not 2-cause if you think you're going to replace the 55-60 hr guy with 2 20 hr guys who are new you have some math problems. Except....suddenly theres more demand for these folks (if we assume you were correct about replacing them-ignoring all the other pesky reality issues....) and wages go up.

huh. OR the more likely result?

You pay them more-and they make more then the salary minimum. OR you work them 40, and hire a part timer to take the extra shifts.

Whats wrong with people that they think its reasonable to hire some guy at 24K, and work him 60 hrs a week?

Whats wrong with people that they have to make up truly insane "theories" about things just to justify the nonsense that these folks making a salary should make so little per hour. 60hr work weeks, at 24K is about $8/hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You pay them more-and they make more then the salary minimum. OR you work them 40, and hire a part timer to take the extra shifts.

Whats wrong with people that they think its reasonable to hire some guy at 24K, and work him 60 hrs a week?

Whats wrong with people that they have to make up truly insane "theories" about things just to justify the nonsense that these folks making a salary should make so little per hour. 60hr work weeks, at 24K is about $8/hour.
Some people have a very demented outlook towards the working class in this country. They view people as an exploitable resource to be taken advantage of and then disposed of, as any company may see fit.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
it sounds nice... then you realize that if employers don't want to pay overtime, they can just hire 2 "half time" people at no benefits to replace one full time person who works over time
Huh? This is about the practice of businesses calling people 'managers' so that they are exempt from overtime, it's one of the reasons that fast food places have such an absurd number of managers, i.e. shift manager, kitchen manager, counter manager, etc. They put them on salary and work them more than 40 hours a week, it's been going on forever. I had a job in retail in the 70's where I was called a 'manager' but I had no authority or control over other employees, I regularly worked 50 + hours a week and was exempt from overtime, when you divided the hours I worked into my "salary" I was earning slightly less than minimum wage.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And the next rule will require the same relative benefits for part timers.
OMG imagine that, giving part time workers benefits! Maybe we just shouldn't pay them, we can just make them work for free and if they refuse we will put them in jail.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
But this one doesn't! How it wasn't tucked in somewhere in the 503 pages of this bill no one wants to say. Too bad for the mom & pop shops. This guy says it better than I can ...
If mom and pop can't run a business without getting people to work 50 or 60 hours a week for 23k a year they really need to find some other way to support themselves.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Haven't personally met a salaried worker that made less than 25k. Actually, I haven't met a salaried worker that pulled in less than 35k really.
This reason is exactly why I've turned down managerial positions. Absurd amounts of work for a little more money and no hourly compensation beyond 40. Divided out, management in many places make LESS than their hourly counterparts.
Stop by your local fast food joint and ask the shift manager what they make. Most of them are paid exactly the minimum that allows them to be exempt from overtime.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Stop by your local fast food joint and ask the shift manager what they make. Most of them are paid exactly the minimum that allows them to be exempt from overtime.
Yeah I never thought about that before. All of these "Managers" in retail and fast food environments. Yep, I see this crap now.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
And every last one of them is free to leave if they choose to.

I know, you wish for a world where the government controls every aspect of our lives, where businesses that are just trying to make it don't deserve to be in business because that huge government makes unreasonable rules that put burdens on their bottom line, and where everyone gets a high salary and full benefits even if they are so low-skilled a cat could do their job.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And every last one of them is free to leave if they choose to.
I know, you wish for a world where the government controls every aspect of our lives, where businesses that are just trying to make it don't deserve to be in business because that huge government makes unreasonable rules that put burdens on their bottom line, and where everyone gets a high salary and full benefits even if they are so low-skilled a cat could do their job.
So I guess putting employees on a salary so they are exempt from overtime and then working them so many hours that they are earning less than minimum wage is perfectly ok with you? Sort of figures...

Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,070 times
Quote:
If mom and pop can't run a business without getting people to work 50 or 60 hours a week for 23k a year they really need to find some other way to support themselves.

You prove my point exactly. Why even bother to start a business? Startup is very expensive all by itself without layers of governmental regulations thrown in. Why not pass legislation that says companies are guaranteed a gross income that offsets all regulatory induced expenses? Why shouldn't the owner, who is taking all the risks, be guaranteed a living income whether or not his company is successful? Is the entrepreneur any less a working person than the employees he hires?

If you think about it, really, who are the greedy ones here? The person busting his tail and taking all the risk or the person demanding gimme, gimme, gimme?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events