U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Secure, Undisclosed
1,968 posts, read 1,196,984 times
Reputation: 3623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

...a recent poll found that just one in three Americans are very confident that the food they buy is safe although the vast majority are at least somewhat confident that their food is safe...

...The FDA is just another example of money wasted paying slackers who do no work, a fake job for relatives of government lackeys!
(Yawn...)

Statistically, 50% of Americans have an IQ at or below 100. Hence, I have little interest in what a poll found 33% of them were confident about.

I'm familiar with a lot of employees from a lot of different government agencies. I've found that FDA employees, on average, are among the hardest working (read: most overworked) employees in the government. Of the several hundred FDA employees I know personally, only one is a relative of another FDA employee (who is now retired). My personal experience is that the 'slacker' contingent at FDA was significantly less than 10% - and well below that of most government agencies I worked with.

You might not like what the congress orders them to do, such as leave aspartame on the market or allow GMOs to be marketed. But before you throw rocks at their glass house, you might want to read up on exactly what they do and how they do it. (Suggestion: Take several science courses first, because they all did.)

You might also want to re-think your selection of who represents you in the legislature, because your representatives are the ones who tell FDA what to do. And like all government bureaucracies, the FDA just does what they're told (and funded) to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:12 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,016 posts, read 16,576,367 times
Reputation: 28865
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I I recall buying a healthy brand of chips not too long ago, And upon opening it it smelled like paint thinner.
Just out of curiosity, what chipmaker discovered a way to make deep fried starch healthy?

Also, my guess is that the smell was ammonia which means those chips were decomposing. Were they well past their sell date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,553 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Reputation: 26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Just out of curiosity, what chipmaker discovered a way to make deep fried starch healthy?

Also, my guess is that the smell was ammonia which means those chips were decomposing. Were they well past their sell date?
The problem may have been the packaging, not the product:

http://www.iopp.org/files/public/Odo...gMaterials.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,077 posts, read 11,487,748 times
Reputation: 17254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
(Yawn...)

Statistically, 50% of Americans have an IQ at or below 100. Hence, I have little interest in what a poll found 33% of them were confident about.

I'm familiar with a lot of employees from a lot of different government agencies. I've found that FDA employees, on average, are among the hardest working (read: most overworked) employees in the government. Of the several hundred FDA employees I know personally, only one is a relative of another FDA employee (who is now retired). My personal experience is that the 'slacker' contingent at FDA was significantly less than 10% - and well below that of most government agencies I worked with.

You might not like what the congress orders them to do, such as leave aspartame on the market or allow GMOs to be marketed. But before you throw rocks at their glass house, you might want to read up on exactly what they do and how they do it. (Suggestion: Take several science courses first, because they all did.)

You might also want to re-think your selection of who represents you in the legislature, because your representatives are the ones who tell FDA what to do. And like all government bureaucracies, the FDA just does what they're told (and funded) to do.
That's very true. Aspartame may actually be safer than sugar. At the very least, the FDA sets the maximum level for consumption at 1/100 of the level likely to cause harm. That means a 165 lb. person would have to consume 19 cans of soda a day to reach 1/100 of the dangerous dose. The only people who have a problem with it are phenylketonurics, and they are generally bright enough to avoid aspartame/Nutrasweet/Equal.

As for GMOs, they are just food like everything else. People have been eating them for 25 years now with no adverse effects. You hear a lot of noise from the Frankenfoodie crowd, but it's just mythology. When you actually test GM foods you find no evidence of adverse effects. BTW, GMOs are not regulated by the FDA, they are regulated by USDA, and all of them have to be rigorously tested before being approved for human consumption. The tests are so restrictive that cashews, tapioca and cinnamon would never pass.

BTW, did you know that the scientist whose research showed a possible problem with gluten intolerance has continued his work? It turns out the problem was probably not gluten, it was short chain, poorly digested sugars. Science marches on.

There probably is no such thing as gluten intolerance, study shows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 PM
 
3,211 posts, read 2,821,235 times
Reputation: 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Any scientific support for your theory? No, because that's not the way it works.
It didn't need scientific support. It is a theory. It's my personal theory I've developed after watching some of the old timers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,553 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Reputation: 26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
It didn't need scientific support. It is a theory. It's my personal theory I've developed after watching some of the old timers.
It's a theory not supported by science. There is a reason that we should keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot and refrigerate uneaten food promptly. Room temperature favors rapid growth of bacteria that can cause illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Status: "King of the World" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Itinerant
5,202 posts, read 3,754,680 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's a theory not supported by science. There is a reason that we should keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot and refrigerate uneaten food promptly. Room temperature favors rapid growth of bacteria that can cause illness.
Well, it kind of is.

Vaccination is the inoculation of a person by exposure of that person to a pathogen or fragments of a pathogen that is insufficient to cause a full infection, but stimulates an immune response.

Exposure to pathogens incidentally by sub standard food hygiene may provide an inoculation effect for those person with poorer hygiene. Thus if a pathogen is present in some food that has a suspect infectious quantity of pathogen, the person who has been self innoculating by poor food hygiene may have a stronger immune response to that pathogen in the same way that a vaccination provides.

Of course the exposure needs to provide an immune response to the same pathogen present in an infectious quantity.

I mean it's an entirely in vivo and chaotic means to provide some form of self vaccination of food borne diseases, but there are rational reasons to suspect it may provide some benefit.
__________________
My mod posts will always be in red.
The Rules Infractions & Deletions Who's the moderator? FAQ What is a "Personal Attack" What is "Trolling" Guidelines for copyrighted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,553 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Reputation: 26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well, it kind of is.

Vaccination is the inoculation of a person by exposure of that person to a pathogen or fragments of a pathogen that is insufficient to cause a full infection, but stimulates an immune response.

Exposure to pathogens incidentally by sub standard food hygiene may provide an inoculation effect for those person with poorer hygiene. Thus if a pathogen is present in some food that has a suspect infectious quantity of pathogen, the person who has been self innoculating by poor food hygiene may have a stronger immune response to that pathogen in the same way that a vaccination provides.

Of course the exposure needs to provide an immune response to the same pathogen present in an infectious quantity.

I mean it's an entirely in vivo and chaotic means to provide some form of self vaccination of food borne diseases, but there are rational reasons to suspect it may provide some benefit.
Unfortunately developing such a response carries the risk of having to be sick in order to produce it. Why not just avoid the risk by not eating foods that have not been stored properly?

Only 10 to 100 E. coli O157:H7 cells might be enough to cause an infection which could cause liver and kidney failure.

Also, not everyone who gets infected with some of the organisms that can cause illness gets sick from it. It's possible to give it to someone else who does, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Status: "King of the World" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Itinerant
5,202 posts, read 3,754,680 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Unfortunately developing such a response carries the risk of having to be sick in order to produce it. Why not just avoid the risk by not eating foods that have not been stored properly?

Only 10 to 100 E. coli O157:H7 cells might be enough to cause an infection which could cause liver and kidney failure.

Also, not everyone who gets infected with some of the organisms that can cause illness gets sick from it. It's possible to give it to someone else who does, though.
Sure, not arguing, just pointing out that while it may be reckless it may, in fact, also produce an immune response the same way as a vaccine would.
__________________
My mod posts will always be in red.
The Rules Infractions & Deletions Who's the moderator? FAQ What is a "Personal Attack" What is "Trolling" Guidelines for copyrighted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 AM
 
Location: north central Ohio
7,994 posts, read 3,946,787 times
Reputation: 4762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
(Yawn...)

Statistically, 50% of Americans have an IQ at or below 100. Hence, I have little interest in what a poll found 33% of them were confident about.

I'm familiar with a lot of employees from a lot of different government agencies. I've found that FDA employees, on average, are among the hardest working (read: most overworked) employees in the government. Of the several hundred FDA employees I know personally, only one is a relative of another FDA employee (who is now retired). My personal experience is that the 'slacker' contingent at FDA was significantly less than 10% - and well below that of most government agencies I worked with.

You might not like what the congress orders them to do, such as leave aspartame on the market or allow GMOs to be marketed. But before you throw rocks at their glass house, you might want to read up on exactly what they do and how they do it. (Suggestion: Take several science courses first, because they all did.)

You might also want to re-think your selection of who represents you in the legislature, because your representatives are the ones who tell FDA what to do. And like all government bureaucracies, the FDA just does what they're told (and funded) to do.

Yeah.....RIGHT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top