U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,209,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
So who was the lobbyist that pressed this issue to the senate that it was a good idea to further harass the public?

We have a business and the amount of junk calls we get is crazy. It doesn't matter if you tell them you are on the do not cal list or if you ask them to be removed from their list they just keep calling.
Whenever we get a sales call on the business line my wife sets a static ring tone to that number so when they call back and we hear static then we know it is not business.

What a pain.
Whatever lobby firm did it should get signed up for a every robo-caller in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,521,138 times
I stopped answering my phone when it's not someone from my contact list.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
If you don't want debt collectors calling you, it's pretty simple pay your bills.
Absurdly simpleton thinking. Because debt collectors dont repeatedly already call and harass people who owe no debt of any kind.

These companies are pretty the bottom tier scum suckers of the financial industry. They will have a record that is maybe 20 or 25 years old that includes a name, an account number and phone number that the individual in question has long moved on from but since that is all they have to work with and because they purchase these accounts for a fraction of a penny often, they have nothing to lose by calling and calling and hoping that they can harass someone, anyone into paying them something.

Being accurate and just flat out decent is not in their wheelhouse. They also count on the average persons ignorance of FDCPA rules to be able to harass and intimidate. They prey on seniors and the destitute that lack the means to secure proper legal counsel to deal with these sharks.

Last edited by Juram; 05-23-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 04:44 PM

7,666 posts, read 3,840,438 times
Not just debt collectors. I go a sales call last night. I told the woman that I was not interested and that I was on the no-call list. She proceded to scream at me that she would call anyone she effing wanted to call. I hung up and she called back several times until I blocked the call. Now I figure she will call from another number.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:26 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,207,444 times
Who says Do Nothing Congress. . . . . .

Mick

Old 05-26-2016, 08:46 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Congress Set to Allow Robocalls to Cellphones | Media Center | NCLC

Congress is set this summer to start allowing debt collectors to inundate your cell phone with Robo-Collection calls.
Like complicated tax returns and regulations is Congress gifting the lawyer lobby/donors so they can make more money, robo calls is a gift to the cell phone companies (from Congress) who will charge consumers more for their program that blocks more calls than the free one.

Right now, for example, Verizon allows 5 blocked numbers for free but if you want to pay for a more expensive program, you can block more numbers. I even suspect it's Verizon making the annoying calls from an assortment of area codes to get you to pay for their more expensive program. Now, they'll just have to put their donat, er trust, in their buddies on Capitol Hill.

We'll just have to get Donald Trump to give us Lindsey Graham's phone number again.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:05 AM

2,877 posts, read 4,389,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

I've gotten calls for years for a person with my last name and the first name "George." I don't know a single person with that name. My problem is, the first time one company called, I answered the phone. Talking sense to them made no difference. They now know that a human does live at my address, so they continue to call. I know many other collectors are after George, too, because they leave messages on my machine. But they actually cease if I NEVER acknowledge them.
I've been getting calls for YEARS (on my cell phone ONLY) from collection agencies for a woman whose first and last name is the same as mine. Everything else is different: our middle initials, our birthdates, our addresses. When I tell the agencies that nothing matches except for our first/last names, they agree to take me off their calling lists. Time passes, and sure enough, a different collection agency will call...this woman does NOT like to pay her bills.

It really bugs me that, unlike landlines, a cell phone's Caller ID only shows the name of the person/organization calling if it's in your contacts list. My elderly parents both have serious health problems, so if I get an unknown call showing any of several area codes in their vicinity, I feel compelled to answer as it could be a health care provider calling with bad news.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM

7,171 posts, read 8,759,533 times
Maybe the cell phone numbers of Congressional Members needs to be provided to these collectors as a good faith gesture that they won't abuse the privilege....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or