Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,814,234 times

Advertisements

Frozen food recall covers hundreds of items from many stores

Another great example of the 'safety' of America's food supply!

Protection of Food Supply Faces Problems
For part of the CBS News series "Where America Stands," a recent poll found that just one in three Americans are very confident that the food they buy is safe although the vast majority are at least somewhat confident that their food is safe.

Every year there are 76 million cases of foodborne illness in the United States, resulting in 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths.
Protection of Food Supply Faces Problems - CBS News

The FDA is just another example of money wasted paying slackers who do no work, a fake job for relatives of government lackeys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,950,930 times
When I see statistics like this,

Every year there are 76 million cases of foodborne illness in the United States, resulting in 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths.

I have to wonder if it is because the prep work in the house was not done or if the food was not cooked properly. For instance, how many households properly wash their vegetables before preparing the meal? How many people verify that their poultry is cooked to the proper temperature before serving? Knowing what you are eating and knowing the prep work involved with what you are getting ready to eat is key and I just don't think a lot of families go through this.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
When I see statistics like this,

I have to wonder if it is because the prep work in the house was not done or if the food was not cooked properly. For instance, how many households properly wash their vegetables before preparing the meal? How many people verify that their poultry is cooked to the proper temperature before serving? Knowing what you are eating and knowing the prep work involved with what you are getting ready to eat is key and I just don't think a lot of families go through this.

But are American cooks that much nastier than those in the countries like England with far,far fewer incidents? America's disgusting/putrid factory farms, and food processing plants are the #1 cause of our filthy, pathogen-ridden foods, but lack of enforced regulations and inspections are #2. European countries also do not allow all the hormones, antibiotics, and GMOS, that are in America's food.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:02 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
But are American cooks that much nastier than those in the countries like England with far,far fewer incidents? America's disgusting/putrid factory farms, and food processing plants are the #1 cause of our filthy, pathogen-ridden foods, but lack of enforced regulations and inspections are #2. European countries also do not allow all the hormones, antibiotics, and GMOS, that are in America's food.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. A lot can and should be done to change the process concerning the food we are eating. Until that change comes though, we need to do what we can within our own homes to help protect us and that starts with cleanliness and proper food preparation. My thought is that statistics can always be twisted to push an agenda and I have to wonder how many of those food born illnesses, hospital visits, etc are because of the households (or restaurants) failure to prepare the food properly.

For instance, if I buy a chicken sandwich at a restaurant, but get food poison because the chicken wasn't prepared properly (cross contamination of the cook, undercooked chicken, etc), would my hospital visit fall into that 325,000? The FDA wouldn't have been able to do anything about this. The chicken, bread, vegetables, etc. all passed the proper inspections before arriving at the restaurant, but the restaurant failed to cook and/or prepare the product properly resulting in me getting sick and having to go to the hospital.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I don't disagree with what you are saying. A lot can and should be done to change the process concerning the food we are eating. Until that change comes though, we need to do what we can within our own homes to help protect us and that starts with cleanliness and proper food preparation. My thought is that statistics can always be twisted to push an agenda and I have to wonder how many of those food born illnesses, hospital visits, etc are because of the households (or restaurants) failure to prepare the food properly.

For instance, if I buy a chicken sandwich at a restaurant, but get food poison because the chicken wasn't prepared properly (cross contamination of the cook, undercooked chicken, etc), would my hospital visit fall into that 325,000? The FDA wouldn't have been able to do anything about this. The chicken, bread, vegetables, etc. all passed the proper inspections before arriving at the restaurant, but the restaurant failed to cook and/or prepare the product properly resulting in me getting sick and having to go to the hospital.

You have a legitimate point, except that I would be willing to wager that at no point, was any ingredient of that chicken sandwich even inspected!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,743,468 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn
The FDA is just another example of money wasted paying slackers who do no work, a fake job for relatives of government lackeys!
The FDA doesnt give a rats tail about anyone....... IF THEY DID THEY WOULD DEMAND ASPERTAME BE REMOVED FROM EVERYTHING! (Amoung other things)

Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,629,080 times
I totally agree food safety in the US (and also in other countries, just look at the spoiled meat scandal in Europe) stinks and the FDA is worthless. Currently, quite a few stores are recalling frozen produce because of possible listeria contamination. Prior to the recall notifications, we ate half a package of frozen recalled vegetables and an entire package of recalled fruit, and I am not happy about it because listeria is nasty. But no illness so far, knock wood.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:15 AM

16,372 posts, read 12,367,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
But are American cooks that much nastier than those in the countries like England with far,far fewer incidents?
Well, in fairness, if you're looking at total number of cases they have far, far fewer incidents because they have a much smaller population. You'd have to look at something like number of cases per 1,000.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:19 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,060,633 times
This stuff freaks me out. I'm always so careful preparing food and watch what I buy. I feel like this is happening more and more, but I'm sure the media also just likes the frenzy

Old 05-20-2016, 02:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,505,520 times
Products include organic and non-organic broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, corn, edamame, green beans, Italian beans, kale, leeks, lima beans, onions, peas, pepper strips, potatoes, potato medley, root medley, spinach, sweet potatoes, various vegetable medleys, blends, and stir fry packages, blueberries, cherries, cranberries, peaches, raspberries, and strawberries.

Listeria outbreak spurs CRF to expand frozen food recall | Food Safety News

Recall notice contains list of affected brands.

CRF Frozen Foods Expands Voluntary Recall to Include All Frozen Vegetable and Fruit Products Due To Possible Health Risk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events