Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
So who was the lobbyist that pressed this issue to the senate that it was a good idea to further harass the public?

We have a business and the amount of junk calls we get is crazy. It doesn't matter if you tell them you are on the do not cal list or if you ask them to be removed from their list they just keep calling.
Whenever we get a sales call on the business line my wife sets a static ring tone to that number so when they call back and we hear static then we know it is not business.

What a pain.
Agreed, very annoying. I only occasionally get these but when busy both with in person guests and legit calls coming in its aggravating to get one that starts with an obvious recording "Hi, this is John calling and you are qualified...blah, blah". It usually happens only when busy too, like they have an uncanny ability to call just then.

Best response: CLICK!

Last edited by D. Scott; 05-21-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 03:59 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Search the congress members who approved this. Write down their phone numbers. Give that number to the robo-caller.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
I think logic is lost on most people. It's not new information that cell phones have been eating away at land line use. If you don't want debt collectors calling you, it's pretty simple pay your bills.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I don't answer any phone number I don't recognize.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think logic is lost on most people. It's not new information that cell phones have been eating away at land line use. If you don't want debt collectors calling you, it's pretty simple pay your bills.
If you think debt collectors only call people who really DO owe money, you've lived a charmed life.

They call any name that sounds even close to the person they're looking for. They call relatives. They call employers. They call complete strangers. The majority of the time, the collectors are third parties who have purchased the debt note, not even the people the money is owed to. The actual debtor is unknown to them and they're on a fishing expedition. Even people who DO have unpaid debts continue to be called years after the statute of limitations on their debt has long run out, in the hope they have finally come into money and will pay it.

I've gotten calls for years for a person with my last name and the first name "George." I don't know a single person with that name. My problem is, the first time one company called, I answered the phone. Talking sense to them made no difference. They now know that a human does live at my address, so they continue to call. I know many other collectors are after George, too, because they leave messages on my machine. But they actually cease if I NEVER acknowledge them.

The only way to stop most of these companies is NEVER to pick up when they dial you. That's the only sure way of getting them to take your number off their computerized dialing machines. If they get a human to harangue, they suspect you might pay up even if you aren't the debtor just to get some peace and quiet. That's why they often reduce the amount owed to less than $200 no matter what the amount of the original debt was.

I have read that legally you can get a debt collection company to stop calling you if you are not the debtor by having an attorney send them a "cease and desist" letter, threatening them with legal action. But here's the Catch-22: If you say you aren't the debtor, the collection agency won't provide you with their name and address. They will only identify the entity claiming the debt, so you can't figure out what company it is that is harassing you. You can only know who your harasser is if you admit to being the debtor, but you might be victimized even if you are innocent.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:50 PM

924 posts, read 751,259 times
Quote:
I wish it were that simple, but it's not. My sister's husband ("Ryan" used to list my mom and I as references when he applied for student loans (and, I think a car loan once). So when he messed up with payments, the companies would call us looking for info on him.....for whatever reason, they couldn't figure out how to get ahold of "Ryan".

Old 05-21-2016, 06:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl
Congress is set this summer to start allowing debt collectors to inundate your cell phone with Robo-Collection calls.
No need to. They already do hound ppl on thier mobile #s!!

Old 05-21-2016, 08:49 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I have been getting them for 3 years. Nothing new here. But I have a list of "Known" friends and so if it's a number I don't know, I let it go to voicemail and only check it when I make a call to a friend...

Old 05-22-2016, 07:35 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, first of all, this isn't a current event for the move that Congress did happened in November of 2015.

Secondly, people may find this more recent article of interest:
FCC aims to stop rise in robocalls to those with student loans | The Seattle Times

Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Shortly after receiving a cell phone for their twelfth birthdays, my kids began fielding phone calls from debt collectors. I've had to call many debt collectors to tell them that they are calling a minor's phone and that none of the people in up our household have any connection to the non-payer they're trying to track down. My now seventeen-year-old has been taking (sometimes threatening) calls for the same deadbeat for five years running despite our repeated attempts to stop them. The number just keeps being sold to the next fly-by-night debt collector trying to eek out a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events