U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2016, 09:44 AM
 
Location: SC
8,382 posts, read 5,030,059 times
Reputation: 12034

Advertisements

Congress Set to Allow Robocalls to Cellphones | Media Center | NCLC

Congress is set this summer to start allowing debt collectors to inundate your cell phone with Robo-Collection calls.

Unfortunately the debt collector (DC) business is not the most diligent when it comes to who they call to collect a debt. For the past two years I had been dealing with a DC who was calling my phone almost daily, through various phone numbers to collect a debt for someone I had never heard of. No matter how many times I told them I was not who they were looking for, the would continue calling anyway.

I finally got them to stop by having my provider do "something" (I don't know what) to block their calls.

Between congress now saying that it is OK for DCs to robo-call you without your permission, and the huge number of calls I expect scammers to start making under cover of this new law, get prepared for your phone to ring off the hook.

Budget Deal Gives Debt Collectors Authority to 'Robocall' Cellphones - NBC News

Congress could end cell phone robocalls

FCC Proposes New Rule That Limits Harmful Impact of Robocall Debt Collection Loophole | Consumers Union...these new rules "allow robocalls not only to those who owe debt, but also their family, references, and even to someone who happens to get assigned a phone number that once belonged to someone who owed debt"

For those here who do not read - but feel justified in making comments anyway... I am not speaking of people who owe a debt and refuse to pay it. I am referring to those who the DC has determined is the person they want to harass even though they owe nobody anything.

Thanks again to congress - for always looking out for the people! I am going to write the FCC and suggest that they add a new rule that Robo-callers be fined if they use spoofed or incomplete information on caller ID systems. Good luck to us all in keeping our sanity after this gift from congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,685 posts, read 5,888,940 times
Reputation: 12037
It's easy to block numbers with a smart phone. I used to get a lot of calls from debt collectors looking for in- laws, but not any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
7,757 posts, read 5,336,975 times
Reputation: 9393
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It's easy to block numbers with a smart phone. I used to get a lot of calls from debt collectors looking for in- laws, but not any more.
Unfortunately, they often have a gazillion different numbers. Block one, they'll call from a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,328 posts, read 12,421,365 times
Reputation: 15400
Just ignore if you do not owe any money in collections. Its good practice anyway as numerous phone scammers call people with everything from "pay up or be arrested" for phony IRS debts or warrants, impersonations of credit card account reps and utilities reps, and some even call people demanding ransom for "kidnapped" family members. (happened a lot here in NY) I get calls several times a week that never leave a voicemail. Reverse number search later reveals a history of scams or a name I do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 09:07 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,003 posts, read 16,133,914 times
Reputation: 9676
If the number is not in my contact list it goes to a No-Ring RingTone.

If its Important they will leave a voice mail. No Voice Mail or a VoiceMail from some collector, scammer, etc.

I might call back (from my records of number the Credit Card they say they are calling from). You NEVER call back the number they are calling from, or number they give you. Only call back the number from your real bill or the real website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,423 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Reputation: 28966
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Congress Set to Allow Robocalls to Cellphones | Media Center | NCLC

Congress is set this summer to start allowing debt collectors to inundate your cell phone with Robo-Collection calls.

Unfortunately the debt collector (DC) business is not the most diligent when it comes to who they call to collect a debt. For the past two years I had been dealing with a DC who was calling my phone almost daily, through various phone numbers to collect a debt for someone I had never heard of. No matter how many times I told them I was not who they were looking for, the would continue calling anyway.

I finally got them to stop by having my provider do "something" (I don't know what) to block their calls.

Between congress now saying that it is OK for DCs to robo-call you without your permission, and the huge number of calls I expect scammers to start making under cover of this new law, get prepared for your phone to ring off the hook.

Budget Deal Gives Debt Collectors Authority to 'Robocall' Cellphones - NBC News

Congress could end cell phone robocalls

FCC Proposes New Rule That Limits Harmful Impact of Robocall Debt Collection Loophole | Consumers Union...these new rules "allow robocalls not only to those who owe debt, but also their family, references, and even to someone who happens to get assigned a phone number that once belonged to someone who owed debt"

For those here who do not read - but feel justified in making comments anyway... I am not speaking of people who owe a debt and refuse to pay it. I am referring to those who the DC has determined is the person they want to harass even though they owe nobody anything.

Thanks again to congress - for always looking out for the people! I am going to write the FCC and suggest that they add a new rule that Robo-callers be fined if they use spoofed or incomplete information on caller ID systems. Good luck to us all in keeping our sanity after this gift from congress.

Lol, they're not coming to MY phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,423 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Reputation: 28966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Unfortunately, they often have a gazillion different numbers. Block one, they'll call from a different one.

Nothing gets through my phone unless it's in my contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Secure, Undisclosed
1,967 posts, read 1,194,895 times
Reputation: 3595
They are welcome to call my glove box as often as they would like - that's where I leave my cell phone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 02:10 PM
 
200 posts, read 375,232 times
Reputation: 251
Phone calls don't bother me when its time for me to go to bed or to study or whatever i set my phone on do not disturb. I know who my bills are and who i owe money too.



The one thing that really bugs me is how much snail mail i get on a regular bases. If i don't throw it away or shred it i have enough to fill up a grocery bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Cape Cod
9,806 posts, read 7,116,916 times
Reputation: 17922
So who was the lobbyist that pressed this issue to the senate that it was a good idea to further harass the public?

We have a business and the amount of junk calls we get is crazy. It doesn't matter if you tell them you are on the do not cal list or if you ask them to be removed from their list they just keep calling.
Whenever we get a sales call on the business line my wife sets a static ring tone to that number so when they call back and we hear static then we know it is not business.

What a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top