U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:02 PM

10,328 posts, read 12,417,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
School food sucked when I was a kid. I'm in my late forties. It sucked when my kids went to school as well. They are in their twenties. Where the hell did you go to school, that you got edible food?
Same here. They had "murder burgers" and "suicide fries" as we referred to them. One kid once found a TOOTH in his meatball. (Not his tooth either) At least we never dealt with this level of insanity mentioned in the artice. Kids still had childhood. Playing outside and coming home with bumps, bruises and grass stains. Im glad I was able to experience things like this despite a difficult upbringing with no parents or siblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000
Interesting how older folks here think everything went to crap in the US rather recently
That started happening in the 80s SLOWLY mick

Old 06-05-2016, 02:44 AM

2,751 posts, read 981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Interesting how older folks here think everything went to crap in the US rather recently . . . . because we #1 in the olden days before the libruls took over. Oh, really?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...gAHW_blog.html

Mick
I suppose you do not understand that other nations, such as China, cannot be meaningfully compared with/to the US as China does not have the same type of school system. That is, in many nations, children who will not be going forward on a path to university are weeded out early and sent to vocational schools. In the US, we keep all of our kids in the same schools and their scores are counted together, which obviously brings down the US averages.

Yes, there is plenty wrong with our schools in the US. But, we don't need to look at comparisons with other nations that have little meaning.

Let's just look inward and figure out what's wrong with education in the US.

Here's a clue:

The breakdown of the American family.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 7 hours ago)

17,379 posts, read 8,548,684 times
This happens in both liberal and conservative areas and schools, and has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the current climate and trend where people are committed to feigned outrage over minutiae, pushing for some punitive outcome, while ignoring major issues that can impact all of us in a dangerous way. I think our politicians were the first to start to do this (on both sides of the aisle) and the media fueled it. Now it's every man's game.

I served on a school board and I can tell you that while most parents are well meaning, the loudest will come to the meetings, often being demanding and acting like they represent the masses. They're also the same ones in the Principal's office every other week. And sometimes, the way 'situations' are dealt with is to acquiesce to the aggressive demanding parent just because they're like relentless pitbulls who get hold of a steak and are not going to let go of it. I've seen a Principal take the rational stand of, "Mrs. XX, they're little boys, and boys have behaved this way for all of time, so throwing a sweater into a tree, while inconvenient, isn't worthy of action beyond a stern talking to", only to have said parent threaten they'll file a lawsuit and go to the media if the kid isn't punished more than that. Not to mention they seem to round up other parents quickly to support them. And this was back in the '90s. It's only gotten worse.

Behind nearly every idiot school rule is some idiot parent and posse that they just want to shut up and go away.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM

18,895 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This happens in both liberal and conservative areas and schools, and has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the current climate and trend where people are committed to feigned outrage over minutiae, pushing for some punitive outcome, while ignoring major issues that can impact all of us in a dangerous way. I think our politicians were the first to start to do this (on both sides of the aisle) and the media fueled it. Now it's every man's game.

I served on a school board and I can tell you that while most parents are well meaning, the loudest will come to the meetings, often being demanding and acting like they represent the masses. They're also the same ones in the Principal's office every other week. And sometimes, the way 'situations' are dealt with is to acquiesce to the aggressive demanding parent just because they're like relentless pitbulls who get hold of a steak and are not going to let go of it. I've seen a Principal take the rational stand of, "Mrs. XX, they're little boys, and boys have behaved this way for all of time, so throwing a sweater into a tree, while inconvenient, isn't worthy of action beyond a stern talking to", only to have said parent threaten they'll file a lawsuit and go to the media if the kid isn't punished more than that. Not to mention they seem to round up other parents quickly to support them. And this was back in the '90s. It's only gotten worse.

Behind nearly every idiot school rule is some idiot parent and posse that they just want to shut up and go away.
All very true.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
My wife taught second grade for about 25 years. Over the years she collected a large tub of Tinker Toys which were the first thing the kids went to during Free Play periods or when they had to have recess inside.

The girls built houses and the boys built guns.

When somebody came to the door, the rule was, "Disassemble Immediately ", so they acted like Special Forces Warriors on a weapons drill. Then one of the kids came up with a brilliant idea.

Instead of taking apart his Tinker Toy gun, he added wheels and it became a Tinker Toy truck.

It caught on and all the boys started doing it. Before they took the wheels off to turn it back into a gun, they would take time to drive their trucks around the table and try to smash the girls' houses. So the girls started building guns to fight back. Some of them put wheels on their houses and built guns on them. They now had Tanks and Artillery.

It was interesting to watch this interaction and escalation until somebody discovered how to turn a Tinker Toy gun into a "real gun" that used a rubber band to shoot paperclips.

Tinker Toy guns, Tanks, and Artillery were banned. They could still build Tinker Toy houses and Tinker Toy vehicles and the boys would still smash the girl houses with their vehicles, but nobody got "an eye put out" from a paperclip, and the world was safe from Seven Year Old Kids brandishing Tinker Toys.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 06-05-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 7 hours ago)

17,379 posts, read 8,548,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
My wife taught second grade for about 25 years. Over the years she collected a large tub of Tinker Toys which were the first thing the kids went to during Free Play periods or when they had to have recess inside.

The girls built houses and the boys built guns.

Tinker Toy guns, Tanks, and Artillery were banned. They could still build Tinker Toy houses and Tinker Toy vehicles and the boys would still smash the girl houses with their vehicles, but nobody got "an eye put out" from a paperclip, and the world was safe from Seven Year Old Kids brandishing Tinker Toys.

Mine used to bite their sandwiches into the shape of a gun.

How about the little boys who simply curl their outer three fingers, point their index, and raise their thumb while making a shooting noise?

It's all a natural part of play as a boy. Kids aren't being allowed to be kids anymore.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:22 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
How about the little boys who simply curl their outer three fingers, point their index, and raise their thumb while making a shooting noise?
We used to shoot rubber bands that way.

One of my favorite "guns" was a clothes pin gun that shot matches. I don't remember how to make one, but it shot wooden matches that would light on impact as long as it landed on an abrasive surface like a wall or the sidewalk. Getting the clothes pins were no problem, but nobody would sell us matches so we had steal them from the kitchen and usually got caught.

I dreamed about getting a key chain cap gun sold from adds in comic books. I heard you could shoot steel phonograph needles with it. But it cost $5 and I could never afford one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or