U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 AM

16,143 posts, read 8,962,620 times

Advertisements

I will repeat myself. This young woman did not post her photo to social media and did not ask for the interwebs to nitpick her fashion choices, her weight, or her body type. Just imagine if one of your teenage missteps had been broadcast to the entire world via the internet. Give it a rest. She is not deserving of being put under the microscope this way. And, yes, I'm mortified to have participated. I respectfully ask the moderators to put an end to the nonsense, deleting the thread if they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 AM

8,154 posts, read 4,019,091 times
The amount of pearl clutching in this thread is astounding.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:57 AM

879 posts, read 652,812 times
She looks fine to me. I suspect a size 6 girl could wear that dress and nobody would say a word about it, which doesn't seem fair.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:10 PM

14,560 posts, read 11,645,504 times
a big hulabaloo about nothing, the dress was quite appropriate. and she wasnt a child.. Id love to see exactly what the school code was..for dress..

Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 PM

9,269 posts, read 4,047,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
IMHO, it wasn't particularly revealing- she just has breasts.

I have run up against this one myself. It's 110 degrees outside and the ladies that are small-chested can wear whatever they want, but a hint of cleavage will get you sent home according to corporate dress code.

I used to buy minimizer bras (these essentially strap your breasts down like duct tape. Not real comfy) because I didn't want to wear a burka or a turtleneck to work in the Vegas summers.

Apparently other girls wore backless dresses and thigh high slit dresses to this prom. The dress she wore does not look particularly "revealing" to me. She just has boobs.

Your thoughts?

This Girl Was Kicked Out of Her Prom Because of This "Revealing" Dress

Compared to what I have seen at proms out there her dress is downright modest. Public schools, like our current government, is just getting completely out of hand with their rules.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:33 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,103,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't see anything inappropriate about that dress.

Unless you are coming from the perspective of a 5lut-shaming Christian fundamentalist.

And unless she decides to go bungee jumping on prom night, she is not going to have a wardrobe malfunction.
I'm a Christian and I have no problem with that dress.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:55 PM

397 posts, read 272,982 times
IMHO, the parents should have had better judgement. The dress could be fine for a woman, but not for a teenager. None of us should wear clothes just because we can fit into them. They should be age-appropriate. This goes also for older women dressing as teens- and little girls wearing heels. By the way- she looks lovely. I just looked at a documentary on brain development and development of good judgement; understanding consequences of actions, etc. Teens do not need to be put in situations that might require maturer decision making than is age expected of them. Let them just enjoy life. My take.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:04 PM

14,560 posts, read 11,645,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
IMHO, the parents should have had better judgement. The dress could be fine for a woman, but not for a teenager. None of us should wear clothes just because we can fit into them. They should be age-appropriate. This goes also for older women dressing as teens- and little girls wearing heels. By the way- she looks lovely. I just looked at a documentary on brain development and development of good judgement; understanding consequences of actions, etc. Teens do not need to be put in situations that might require maturer decision making than is age expected of them. Let them just enjoy life. My take.
did your parents have a say in what you wore at that age.... I had very short mini dresses which to me now seem a lot more revealing than this girls dress....

Old 05-22-2016, 01:24 PM

33,058 posts, read 30,327,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Oh?

Then this dress, being described as not suitable to view at work, is suitable for prom, by your logic:

http://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5...sive-photo.jpg
That dress is AWESOME

Old 05-22-2016, 01:52 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,680,240 times
Our country's obsession with what women wear has gotten out of control. The judgment of being a 5lut if you show too much or being a prude if you cover everything up. Especially breasts, our society doesn't know how to handle them as evidenced by the way so many flip out over those who breast feed in public.

It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or