U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't see anything inappropriate about that dress.
Unless you are coming from the perspective of a 5lut-shaming Christian fundamentalist.
And unless she decides to go bungee jumping on prom night, she is not going to have a wardrobe malfunction.
She already had a wardrobe malfunction before she ever left her home to go to prom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:06 PM

14,559 posts, read 8,386,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Cleavage is fine for a grown woman, not a teenager in school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
An 18 year old female graduating senior in high school is a woman, you know. She can sign contracts, buy a house, a car, and get married. The wisdom of making those decisions at that age can be debated, but it is still legal to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
So what. She still has to abide by the school dress code if it is a school function. She's also legally able to buy a gund an cigarettes (except in CA or HI) but they wouldn't allow those at prom just because as an adult American citizen she has that right. Fifty year-olds can't just wear whatever they want at work either. Same thing. Places have dress codes regardless of your age.
Since you were suggesting that she was not a grown woman, I was explaining to you that she actually is (although definitely on the young end of it), so that point is a big FAIL. Also FAIL on the dress code idea, since the school wasn't specific about that.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:26 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
I was really hoping that this thread would have vanished by now, because I'm appalled that this young woman is having her intent questioned, her body scrutinized, and her fashion sense degraded here on C-D and elsewhere on the internet. She's a teenager who should have room to make missteps without the whole world chiming in. Right now, I'm extremely grateful to have been raised in a time when my own embarrassing moments were confined, for the most part, to just those present. Sadly, that's not so for this generation of young people. One wrong move and the whole darn internet has an opinion. I feel for this young woman. It's a cruel, cruel world.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-22-2016 at 10:59 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 12:45 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,127,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
On the other hand, I wish girls could be "girls" for just a little longer.
Do you remember high school? At the age when they graduate, girls haven't been little girls for half a decade.

The outfit is not only fine but, I think, more modest than the average of what girls wear at senior prom.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 AM

9,230 posts, read 10,860,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Do you remember high school? At the age when they graduate, girls haven't been little girls for half a decade.

The outfit is not only fine but, I think, more modest than the average of what girls wear at senior prom.
And much more formal than what I've seen in the last several years. 30 plus years ago I wore a dress with spaghetti straps (clutch those pearls!) to prom. Christian school. Nobody batted an eye. I honest to God don't understand the negative reaction to this girl's dress. Because she has cleavage? Cleavage happens. At 18 I had none, even in my spaghetti strapped formal dress! But since she does, I suppose she should have worn a dress with a neckline that hits just below the chin.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:30 AM

10,377 posts, read 5,864,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was really hoping that this thread would have vanished by now, because I'm appalled that this young woman is having her intent questioned, her body scrutinized, and her fashion sense degraded here on C-D and elsewhere on the internet. She's a teenager who should have room to make missteps without the whole world chiming in. Right now, I'm extremely grateful to have been raised in a time when my own embarrassing moments were confined, for the most part, to just those present. Sadly, that's not so for this generation of young people. One wrong move and the whole darn internet has an opinion. I feel for this young woman. It's a cruel, cruel world.
Being denied at her prom is bad enough, I hadn't even thought about this angle although it appears the post supoorting her are outnumbering those that are critical by a large margin. Put me in the first camp, I think it's terrible what they did to that poor girl.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:54 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Being denied at her prom is bad enough, I hadn't even thought about this angle although it appears the post supoorting her are outnumbering those that are critical by a large margin. Put me in the first camp, I think it's terrible what they did to that poor girl.
Absolutely. It's clear from the many on-line stories that she did not post the photo to garner attention and support. A friend's mother, who really should have known better, posted it to her own Facebook page in outrage, and the story took off from there. I feel terrible for the young woman pictured! How awful to have complete strangers picking you apart through the anonymity of the web.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-23-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 AM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times
Regardless of what one thinks about how revealing the dress is, they should not have been turning people away at the door unless they had a very clearly delineated standard for doing so that was communicated in advance.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
I saw more revealing dresses at my high school prom some 55 years ago. I saw a lot more skin after the dance.

I am always amazed by the insane indignation of the prudes outraged by a beautiful young woman showing some skin at a formal dance. If they do not like what they see the prudes can just close their eyes or look the other way. The religious prudes can always blame their God for making the woman look like a woman.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,509,498 times
I think this is fueled by envy. Women are envious because they are no longer young and attractive. Men are envious because young and attractive women no longer pay any attention to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or