U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
She's a senior in high school! I did not purchase my daughter's prom dress. She bought and paid for it herself.
Still a kid and still in her parents' house...and I don't think girls purchasing their own prom dress is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM

15,566 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Still a kid and still in her parents' house...and I don't think girls purchasing their own prom dress is the norm.
Really? My daughter has been working since she was sixteen. I haven't bought her clothes or paid her entertainment expenses for a long time.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM

51,208 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Really? My daughter has been working since she was sixteen. I haven't bought her clothes or paid her entertainment expenses for a long time.
Same here. My daughter had jobs since she started mucking out horse stalls on weekends at 12 to help pay for her riding lessons. By 16 she had a job and had bought her own laptop. She ordered her senior prom dress from a bridal shop, and we split the cost. Still have the dress, too. It's a sleek, unadorned, timeless style.

Most of her friends in high school had jobs, too, and pay for some of their own things. I think that's normal.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 AM

17,615 posts, read 12,203,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And the way such an occurrence would have been handled in my youth or even my children's youth would have been for the teacher to find the sewing kit and help the young woman repair the damage if possible or something similar rather than shaming her for being a "big girl". Which is the real issue here, how the teacher handled it.

It's clear that there are several in this discussion who would have been all over the shaming bandwagon, and that says more about them than it does about the girl or the dress.

I didn't read anywhere that said the wardrobe malfunction occurred while she was at the prom. Your sewing fix might be entirely hypothetical as the lace per the stated account could have come off well before she arrived and thus there would be nothing to sew on. Additionally it really isn't anyone's responsibility at the prom to have a sewing kit on hand to fix such occurances

Old 05-24-2016, 11:51 AM

93 posts, read 59,296 times
No real opinion on the dress but I do find it hilarious that we have women here saying things that if a man said to a woman he would be crucified LMAO!!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:01 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,635,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HUH? Excuse me? Never ever anywhere did I say it is okay to call her fat. I would not do that, and I don't even consider the girl in question to be all that terribly overweight, and I have stated more than once on this thread that I think she looked beautiful.

If THAT is what you got from my post you quoted, you have a reading comprehension issue. Or, more likely, you'te just trying to stir up an argument where none exists. Favorite Internet forum tactic for people, though I don't get why.

DO NOT use my words to make it look as if I said something I didn't say. Thank you.
Okay, I guess I have a reading comprehension issue. Sorry about that.

It is still important to point out the girl's weight or the style of dress as it is displayed on her figure is not the problem - just the neckline specifically and the amount of cleavage it exposed before they altered it.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:21 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
Much ado about nothing...kids should not be ostracized. No kid should be turned away. Chaperons should have had something...like a stole for just such an event.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:18 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Just want to point out that the dress as shown in the picture is apparently the pre-malfunction version. The lace insert is visible as the heart shaped area just below the visible cleavage.

If you remove that, the visible cleavage goes about to her navel. That is why her parents do not want a picture on the internet of the dress without the extra piece of lace.

Whoever altered the dress did not do a good job.

An alternative would have been for the girl to call her mother and have mom repair the dress or bring a wrap.

Do the chaperones for a prom no longer come prepared to deal with minor problems with dresses, like a hem that gets caught in a shoe and pulled loose?

Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Stupid. In Germany they lay out in parks naked. Why are people so afraid of a naked body? This girl isn't wearing anything Grammy award winners don't wear at 8pm on Sunday night. What's next, enacting a nation wide dress code removing cleavage? Again, stupid. Feel for the kid. We have more important issues.

I hope they don't think these dress codes prevent teen sex like Footloose.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:21 PM

17,615 posts, read 12,203,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Stupid. In Germany they lay out in parks naked. Why are people so afraid of a naked body? This girl isn't wearing anything Grammy award winners don't wear at 8pm on Sunday night. What's next, enacting a nation wide dress code removing cleavage? Again, stupid. Feel for the kid. We have more important issues.

I hope they don't think these dress codes prevent teen sex like Footloose.

So as long as a Grammy award winner does something we should all be able to do it? That's strange if they won a Grammy why haven't I?

Also it's funny the girl and her parents are not the ones who raised any issue with what happend. A monther of one of the girl's friends is the one who created the fuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or