U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:27 PM

19,885 posts, read 36,416,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
From a couple of previous posts quoting a news article on this:

The teen’s father told WATE 6 that an alteration to her dress broke after this picture was taken, causing the dress to be much more revealing once she was at the prom.

Is it anyone else's responsibility? No, of course not. But it is the way it would have been handled before fat shaming became okay. See, the thing is, used to be there were other socially acceptable targets to be prejudiced against, but as one by one they either are no longer acceptable to be prejudiced against or they are ground into the dirt (smokers come to mind), new targets must be found, because for some people the need to be prejudiced will always be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Another big ole girl not accepting the fact that her oreo eating self can not fit into something that snug!!
Thank you for making my point for me so graphically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 12,234,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
From a couple of previous posts quoting a news article on this:

The teen’s father told WATE 6 that an alteration to her dress broke after this picture was taken, causing the dress to be much more revealing once she was at the prom.

Is it anyone else's responsibility? No, of course not. But it is the way it would have been handled before fat shaming became okay. See, the thing is, used to be there were other socially acceptable targets to be prejudiced against, but as one by one they either are no longer acceptable to be prejudiced against or they are ground into the dirt (smokers come to mind), new targets must be found, because for some people the need to be prejudiced will always be there.

The statement does not indicate that the issue occurred after she arrived at the prom. It says after the picture was taken, causing the dress to be much more revealing once at the prom. Never mind it's no ones responsibility to carry a sewing kit around

Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,555,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
She wasn't kicked out nor did she complain maybe you should understand what happend before commenting
But despite looking "like a princess," she was turned away from the school dance because her dress - an off-the-shoulder embellished tulle gown - was deemed "too revealing."

Turned away for looking like a S*ut. Got it. I bet she feels great about herself after that. I think it's a horrible thing to do over some cleavage.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM

199 posts, read 113,788 times
I have seen much more revealing than that! She looks nice, she just has a very ample bosom!!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 12,234,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
But despite looking "like a princess," she was turned away from the school dance because her dress - an off-the-shoulder embellished tulle gown - was deemed "too revealing."

Turned away for looking like a S*ut. Got it. I bet she feels great about herself after that. I think it's a horrible thing to do over some cleavage.

She wasn't turned away. There are pictures of her in the prom, do you just read something and believe it instead of thinking?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,226,429 times
I'm a very conservative guy and even I don't think that looks bad.

I'm sure majority of the other girls looked worse and trashier.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:36 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,226,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
She wasn't turned away. There are pictures of her in the prom, do you just read something and believe it instead of thinking?

The actual situation was that the teacher told her to cover up and said 'us larger women can't do things like that'

Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 PM

51,337 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Sort of like calling someone an idiot, right? For example, at Harvard you might be considered an idiot, but at a preschool you wouldn't. Sort of like that. Depends on where you are and who you are being compared to. Vague, opinion based, I get it.
I think most of society would agree that "fat" is not usually meant kindly.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 PM

51,337 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Genuine fat hating, nothing else.
Exactly. So much of it in this thread. Just plain old-fashioned meanness.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,555,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think most of society would agree that "fat" is not usually meant kindly.
I agree, either is retard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or