Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 12:48 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
She wouldn't have gotten kicked out if she was thin, or even a normal weight. It's not just her bust, she has fat hanging out all over. Gross. I wore a way sluttier getup to my prom in 2000 and had no issues whatsoever. I was a size 2 and could actually pull it off.
Someone earlier mentioned how badly she felt for that poor girl, not only going through this but she has no doubt faced nasty comments about her weight her entire life.

This would be like one of those comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:54 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Someone earlier mentioned how badly she felt for that poor girl, not only going through this but she has no doubt faced nasty comments about her weight her entire life.

LOL, I ignored that comment, as the poster mentioned that she wore a "way sluttier outfit" to prom. Just too easy, even by my low internet standards.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
LOL, I ignored that comment, as the poster mentioned that she wore a "way sluttier outfit" to prom. Just too easy, even by my low internet standards.
Oh I'm cool with slutty, I just don't like fat girl comments. There is no crueler place to be than to be an overweight teenage girl.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Oh I'm cool with slutty, I just don't like fat girl comments. There is no crueler place to be than to be an overweight teenage girl.
For me it's the "I wore the same thing, but *I* could pull it off" BS.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Quote:

You may not like it but it's the TRUTH. It's not like it's going to get any easier for her as she gets older. Weight discrimination is rampant in society. Thin women on average are paid $23,000 per year more than their NORMAL weight counterparts. Life ain't fair. Deal with it. I was a little chunky at one point in college. I was never treated like such garbage. What did I do? Sit and cry like a douche in a pint of Ben and Jerry's? No, I hired a personal trainer and hit the gym. Unless she has a legit medical condition, there's no excuse. When you're fat you should cover up. You should not wear what's in fashion, because that fashion was designed for size 0, not 28. At that point, you should just focus on holding in the rolls and invest in Spanx and lots of black monochrome. Source: society in general and every fashion designer I know. Don't blame me for being the bearer of honesty. This thread could use it. Also, anyone who acts like being that fat is okay ought to have their head examined. It's unhealthy and not something to encourage.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-23-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:

I mentioned that I felt compassion for her, because a friend's mother, who no doubt had good intentions but damn well should have known better, placed her in a position of being criticized by anonymous keyboard cowboys who feel empowered to criticize and ridicule from the safety of their living room couches. And, yes, the poster Dave referenced is included.

Our teenage years are a time of experimentation, and sometimes we make missteps. While I personally think the young woman looked lovely and appropriate, obviously the school disagreed, and I'm sure that proved to be an embarrassing situation for her. In another time and place, the moment would have passed and everyone would have moved on. Years later, maybe a friend would have mentioned it, and they would have had a good laugh while reminiscing about high school.

Today, however, there is no room for a young person, particularly a young woman, to leave these personal dramas behind. Her face and name are now splashed about the internet, and people will opine endlessly about the dress and her body. It's one of the things I absolutely detest about the internet. This will follow her. Sometime in the fall, potentially hundreds of miles from her hometown, a college acquaintance will search her name, and up will pop all this nonsense.

This is exactly why I don't participate in Facebook and Google+, and I warn my friends not to post anything about me...ever. Everyone deserves to leave their embarrassing teenage moments behind, but this young woman won't have that, because a thoughtless woman thought her outrage was more important than her daughter's friend's right to privacy.

And, truly, I am disgusted to read some of the comments left in this thread. Oh, that you too would be subjected to the scrutiny of the cruel personalities that haunt the internet.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
You may not like it but it's the TRUTH. It's not like it's going to get any easier for her as she gets older. Weight discrimination is rampant in society. Thin women on average are paid $23,000 per year more than their NORMAL weight counterparts. Life ain't fair. Deal with it. I was a little chunky at one point in college. I was never treated like such garbage. What did I do? Sit and cry like a douche in a pint of Ben and Jerry's? No, I hired a personal trainer and hit the gym. Unless she has a legit medical condition, there's no excuse. When you're fat you should cover up. You should not wear what's in fashion, because that fashion was designed for size 0, not 28. At that point, you should just focus on holding in the rolls and invest in Spanx and lots of black monochrome.
Bull. She looks great in that dress. And for the record, you mentioned douche.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
For me it's the "I wore the same thing, but *I* could pull it off" BS.
It just proves that this was about size and not how much skin was showing.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:32 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I wore a more revealing dress, a halter top style, to my prom in the 70s.

This young woman looked completely appropriate for a high school dance. I wonder if some teacher was jealous of her luscious figure?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-23-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Also, anyone who acts like being that fat is okay ought to have their head examined. It's unhealthy and not something to encourage.
So, that's what this is about? That the bigger girls should essentially wear potato sacks, because to encourage them to wear something that *might* make them feel good about themselves is encouraging obesity?

I'd tell you where to take your skinny, judgmental butt, but I'd not like to get banned from this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events