Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a writing teacher once who was significantly obese, and she wrote a lot about the social aspects of being overweight and she used the word "fat". She embraced it.

Like "retarded", "fat" is a perfectly accurate word to use, but because it is most often used in a disparaging way, it's seen as an insult and rarely is it meant kindly.
Sort of like calling someone an idiot, right? For example, at Harvard you might be considered an idiot, but at a preschool you wouldn't. Sort of like that. Depends on where you are and who you are being compared to. Vague, opinion based, I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:29 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Stupid. In Germany they lay out in parks naked. Why are people so afraid of a naked body?
Teenagers coming to a dance naked, GREAT idea.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So as long as a Grammy award winner does something we should all be able to do it? That's strange if they won a Grammy why haven't I?

Also it's funny the girl and her parents are not the ones who raised any issue with what happend. A monther of one of the girl's friends is the one who created the fuss.
??? Really? If people aren't shocked by 8 pm programing why on earth would they be shocked by a teen wearing more? The point was they wouldn't. It's just some busy body with nothing to do but start a fire at the expense of another kid. That same person probably admires stars in more revealing outfits.

The point is, who really cares? What was the harm of her wearing the dress? If her boobs fell out it would only affect her, and I assume she can handle it. What is so scary about boobs? Do you think those kids have never seen a set? I'm sure they watch music videos.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Teenagers coming to a dance naked, GREAT idea.
That's what you got from that? Wow.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
The point is, who really cares? What was the harm of her wearing the dress? If her boobs fell out it would only affect her, and I assume she can handle it.
Really? You don't think a teenager would be mortified if her boobs fell out of her dress at a school event? Were you ever a teenage girl?

I would really hope that if an older, experienced chaperone noticed that a young girl had a high likelihood of a "wardrobe malfunction" that s/he would step in and intervene. Even if, especially if, the young girl didn't realize that was likely to happen.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Really? You don't think a teenager would be mortified if her boobs fell out of her dress at a school event? Were you ever a teenage girl?

I would really hope that if an older, experienced chaperone noticed that a young girl had a high likelihood of a "wardrobe malfunction" that s/he would step in and intervene. Even if, especially if, the young girl didn't realize that was likely to happen.
I think kicking her out was worse. It would have been for me as a teen. We had issues all the time, period mishaps, wardrobe issues, but being kicked out of a dance for dressing like a "*****" would have topped the list. They could have handled it better.

I'm curious if they put as much emphasis on what they teach them in class...?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:02 PM

545 posts, read 594,709 times
Another big ole girl not accepting the fact that her oreo eating self can not fit into something that snug!!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
I think kicking her out was worse. It would have been for me as a teen. We had issues all the time, period mishaps, wardrobe issues, but being kicked out of a dance for dressing like a "*****" would have topped the list. They could have handled it better.

I'm curious if they put as much emphasis on what they teach them in class...?

She wasn't kicked out nor did she complain maybe you should understand what happend before commenting

Old 05-24-2016, 04:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn't read anywhere that said the wardrobe malfunction occurred while she was at the prom. Your sewing fix might be entirely hypothetical as the lace per the stated account could have come off well before she arrived and thus there would be nothing to sew on. Additionally it really isn't anyone's responsibility at the prom to have a sewing kit on hand to fix such occurances
From a couple of previous posts quoting a news article on this:

The teen’s father told WATE 6 that an alteration to her dress broke after this picture was taken, causing the dress to be much more revealing once she was at the prom.

Is it anyone else's responsibility? No, of course not. But it is the way it would have been handled before fat shaming became okay. See, the thing is, used to be there were other socially acceptable targets to be prejudiced against, but as one by one they either are no longer acceptable to be prejudiced against or they are ground into the dirt (smokers come to mind), new targets must be found, because for some people the need to be prejudiced will always be there.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Genuine fat hating, nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events