Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 02:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times

Advertisements

She looks like she belongs in an old west saloon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Pretty sure there were dresses at that prom that were as revealing, if not moreso. The problem here is that she has breasts and there is a bias against young women being voluptuous. Says more about the person with the problem with it than it does about the young woman herself. It's a beautiful dress and I see no risk of her falling out of it while dancing. (I never fell out of the things I wore in the 60's while dancing and I assure you there was much more risk of it with those garments!) Even her fellow classmates acknowledge that their own dresses were more revealing.
Yes. If the shoulders were just a couple of inches higher that dress would have been considered perfectly appropriate during the VICTORIAN age! She's beautiful. Her dress is beautiful. She's curvy. I truly wonder about anyone who sees this girl in this dress as inappropriate. One of the most conservative prom dresses I've seen recently.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes. If the shoulders were just a couple of inches higher that dress would have been considered perfectly appropriate during the VICTORIAN age! She's beautiful. Her dress is beautiful. She's curvy. I truly wonder about anyone who sees this girl in this dress as inappropriate. One of the most conservative prom dresses I've seen recently.
There is nothing to wonder about, the dress is too revealing for a high school girl let alone for prom.
It does not matter what *others* are wearing because *others* are not part of this controversy.
She is too young and too heavy (not "curvy"), overweight is just that overweight so refer to it as what it is. She is NOT in the *victorian* era, she went against the school dress code voluntarily and the first thing that happened............she cried on social media. So her teenage legacy is going to be whining about a prom dress that was inappropriate but she got her 15 minutes of fame.
How proud of this moment is she going to be at 35 when she is remembered for her breasts being the most memorable part of her prom?

Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is nothing to wonder about, the dress is too revealing for a high school girl let alone for prom.
It does not matter what *others* are wearing because *others* are not part of this controversy.
She is too young and too heavy (not "curvy"), overweight is just that overweight so refer to it as what it is. She is NOT in the *victorian* era, she went against the school dress code voluntarily and the first thing that happened............she cried on social media. So her teenage legacy is going to be whining about a prom dress that was inappropriate but she got her 15 minutes of fame.
How proud of this moment is she going to be at 35 when she is remembered for her breasts being the most memorable part of her prom?
There ya go. Overweight is the issue. Got it. She should have worn a flour sack. I understand now.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:16 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hello! I am rather pleased to see a beautiful, formal dress like this rather than the sleazy type of dresses some girls were wearing a couple of years ago. She is not a child.
exactly shes not a child.. and the dress isnt half as trashy as some Ive seen at proms... shes a big girl and it suited her... I wonder who was offended..what exactly was the dress code..... high collars.. dresses below the knee, arms covered.. not forgetting dont flutter those eyelashes.. This is trashy and embarrassing.. https://www.yahoo.com/style/is-this-...190613883.html the girl is lovely and doenst need this sort of garb to get attention...

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-22-2016 at 03:40 AM..

Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
exactly shes not a child.. and the dress isnt half as trashy as some Ive seen at proms... shes a big girl and it suited her... I wonder who was offended..what exactly was the dress code..... high collars.. dresses below the knee, arms covered.. not forgetting dont flutter those eyelashes.. This is trashy and embarrassing.. https://www.yahoo.com/style/is-this-...190613883.html the girl is lovely and doenst need this sort of garb to get attention...
It's just a matter of degree. The school has to set limits, or you can bet some kid WOULD end up at prom looking like your link. Just because the dress in question isn't as trashy as you've ever seen doesn't automatically make it acceptable.

I think it's a beautiful dress, the girl looks gorgeous in it, and it is very appropriate for an adult at an adult function. Prom is not an adult function.

Someone posted a link to a Nordstrom dress their daughter wore. I checked out plus sized formal gowns on that website and there were several lovely gowns that covered the plus sized model's cleavage and didn't look matronly or dowdy.

For those saying the problem is that she has boobs, I don't think so. The problem is that the fabric in the dress she chose wasn't enough to cover 3/4 of those boobs. Small chested women wearing the same dress is acceptable not because they don't have boobs, but because 3/4 of the square footage of their boobs (or more) is being covered.

HS's with dress codes always send out guidelines to students and parents for prom. They are very specific about how much skin can show, how much cleavage, how short the dress and how high the slits. If this particular one didn't then I understand the outrage. But chances are they did, and this girl thought that since she was well endowed she didn't have to follow the rules.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
No, high schools with dress codes do not always send out guidelines for prom. The only thing posted about our high school's prom was that it was formal. That's it.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
There ya go. Overweight is the issue. Got it. She should have worn a flour sack. I understand now.
Don't be so dramatic and being overweight is NOT the issue you want to believe I am making it.
I am overweight so what, 20 years ago I weighed 500 pounds more than I do now so you wanting to present me as a skinny fat shamer has just been flushed down the toity.

Believe what you want however the facts are, she went against the dress code, the dress is inappropriate and she is overweight not curvy.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Don't be so dramatic and being overweight is NOT the issue you want to believe I am making it.
I am overweight so what, 20 years ago I weighed 500 pounds more than I do now so you wanting to present me as a skinny fat shamer has just been flushed down the toity.

Believe what you want however the facts are, she went against the dress code, the dress is inappropriate and she is overweight not curvy.
Seems pretty clear from your own words that overweght is the issue. That you are overweight yourself doesn't make that any less the case, in fact, it could very well be the reason you do have an issue with a voluptuous and, yes, curvy young lady looking great in a dress that flatters her figure. Being overweight yourself in a culture like ours can lead to weight issues in general.

And it was her friend that "cried on social media", in other words, got the word out about the hypocrisy.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I don't see anything inappropriate about that dress.

Unless you are coming from the perspective of a 5lut-shaming Christian fundamentalist.

And unless she decides to go bungee jumping on prom night, she is not going to have a wardrobe malfunction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events