Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm glad the update was posted. For those who haven't read it or won't click on links,

“The teen’s father told WATE 6 that an alteration to her dress broke after this picture was taken, causing the dress to be much more revealing once she was at the prom. The picture in the post shows a piece of lace that was added to make the dress more conservative. The girl’s parents said that the lace broke off, which made the neckline several inches lower and wider than in the picture. That’s when a teacher asked her to wear a jacket.

WATE 6 will not publish the photos of the teen in the dress after the alterations broke, at the request of her parents. Anglim added that the neither the girl nor her parents complained to the school district about the incident.”

Note that the girl's friend's mother was the one who took it upon herself to state, "This young girl was SHAMED for having breasts.” Not the girl. Not her parents.
And the way such an occurrence would have been handled in my youth or even my children's youth would have been for the teacher to find the sewing kit and help the young woman repair the damage if possible or something similar rather than shaming her for being a "big girl". Which is the real issue here, how the teacher handled it.

It's clear that there are several in this discussion who would have been all over the shaming bandwagon, and that says more about them than it does about the girl or the dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And the way such an occurrence would have been handled in my youth or even my children's youth would have been for the teacher to find the sewing kit and help the young woman repair the damage if possible or something similar rather than shaming her for being a "big girl". Which is the real issue here, how the teacher handled it.

It's clear that there are several in this discussion who would have been all over the shaming bandwagon, and that says more about them than it does about the girl or the dress.
Well, not only that but the tuxedo jacket doesn't hide her cleavage.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yep. I am wearing a blouse under my suit jacket - and I have one of those lace things that you clip onto your bra to eliminate even the hint of cleavage.

Yep.

The girl is fat, and she needs to be mindful of showing too much. I hope that people here are not saying that fat women can wear anything that slim women can, and pull it off. That is simply not true.

No wonder we see fat women in booty shorts and midriff tops everywhere.
I don't think anyone is saying that. I think we are saying that the girl chose a dress that showed off her body type without being sleazy or risque. Cleavage is nothing. This IS the south, right, where Scarlett O'Hara and her sisters dressed in low-cut gowns that of course covered their ANKLES!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OK fair enough, just a pet peeve of mine.

I have always had a thing about fat haters. Being thin most of my life I never thought it was fair that I could eat whatever I wanted while my friend struggled to keep his weight below obese levels. He did nothing wrong other than being cursed with slow metabolism. I see people constantly blaming big people with the belief that they are all lazy pieces of crap who do nothing but eat cookies while watching TV. It's not true and its not fair and I know for a fact that big people find the word fat offensive. And that most certainly applies to adults as well as teens.
I had a writing teacher once who was significantly obese, and she wrote a lot about the social aspects of being overweight and she used the word "fat". She embraced it.

Like "retarded", "fat" is a perfectly accurate word to use, but because it is most often used in a disparaging way, it's seen as an insult and rarely is it meant kindly.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a writing teacher once who was significantly obese, and she wrote a lot about the social aspects of being overweight and she used the word "fat". She embraced it.

Like "retarded", "fat" is a perfectly accurate word to use, but because it is most often used in a disparaging way, it's seen as an insult and rarely is it meant kindly.
However, the girl was asked to cover up because of her cleavage, not because you or anybody else want to let everybody know that it is okay to call her fat.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:27 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
This makes the whole thread and discussion useless.

“The teen’s father told WATE 6 that an alteration to her dress broke after this picture was taken, causing the dress to be much more revealing once she was at the prom. The picture in the post shows a piece of lace that was added to make the dress more conservative. The girl’s parents said that the lace broke off, which made the neckline several inches lower and wider than in the picture. That’s when a teacher asked her to wear a jacket.

WATE 6 will not publish the photos of the teen in the dress after the alterations broke, at the request of her parents. Anglim added that the neither the girl nor her parents complained to the school district about the incident

Old 05-24-2016, 10:40 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
I agree with suzy_q2010 that the real potential issue with that dress is what might occur during dancing, and school officials are not especially fond of dealing with such matters. For a prom dress, it is somewhat over-the-top for a fuller figured teenage girl to wear.
Because she has a few extra lbs she is required to adhere to a different dress code?

So if she's a twig with a flag chest, she can show all the skin she wants? Cut me a break

Just saw the post above mine, it pretty much kills the thread agreed. I graduated in '96, I'm more the positive we had strapless dresses and plenty of cleavage shown at my prom. Still feel this is a joke of a problem.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
However, the girl was asked to cover up because of her cleavage, not because you or anybody else want to let everybody know that it is okay to call her fat.
HUH? Excuse me? Never ever anywhere did I say it is okay to call her fat. I would not do that, and I don't even consider the girl in question to be all that terribly overweight, and I have stated more than once on this thread that I think she looked beautiful.

If THAT is what you got from my post you quoted, you have a reading comprehension issue. Or, more likely, you'te just trying to stir up an argument where none exists. Favorite Internet forum tactic for people, though I don't get why.

DO NOT use my words to make it look as if I said something I didn't say. Thank you.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-24-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Um...her breasts wouldn't be spilling out like that if the dress weren't so low-cut in the middle. Higher-cut dress = problem solved. What's so hard to understand about that?

I know that kids are by nature going to test boundaries but these days it's the parents testing the boundaries. If they didn't buy this stuff for the kids, they couldn't wear it to the prom. Again...a sense of propriety = problem solved....actually, completely averted before it even happens.

Things like this are the fault of the parents who do not have good sense.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Um...her breasts wouldn't be spilling out like that if the dress weren't so low-cut in the middle. Higher-cut dress = problem solved. What's so hard to understand about that?

I know that kids are by nature going to test boundaries but these days it's the parents testing the boundaries. If they didn't buy this stuff for the kids, they couldn't wear it to the prom. Again...a sense of propriety = problem solved....actually, completely averted before it even happens.

Things like this are the fault of the parents who do not have good sense.
She was a senior in high school one month from graduation! I did not purchase my daughter's prom dress. She bought and paid for it herself, along with her shoes, her purse, her tickets, and her dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events