U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM

7,583 posts, read 5,099,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I personally don't see the appeal in horse racing. If people want to race cars professionally, risking no one but themselves, then that's fine with me but I feel for these horses when they're injured and ultimately put down because they're deemed useless or simply too hurt. Totally avoidable.
You might find considerably less public interest in horse racing (or dog racing) if you took gambling/ betting out of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,803,438 times
I love horse racing. I love watching those beautiful animals do what they were bred to do - RUN!

I don't need to bet on the races to enjoy them, but I do sometimes bet on them (usually a ten cent bet).

I'm also a big animal lover and it is incredibly sad when one has an accident or illness and they die. One of the two horses yesterday died from an apparent heart attack (he was 9 years old, still on the young end of the scale) but he could have died the same way frolicking in a pasture.

The other horse died because of a fracture in a race. Her owners were the owners of Barbaro. Had there been ANYTHING they could have done to save that horse, the Jacksons would have done it. No amount of money would have stopped them. Unfortunately, equine medicine has not advanced enough to make certain injuries less deadly. I know research is being done but sometimes the injuries are just too bad.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I'm also a big animal lover and it is incredibly sad when one has an accident or illness and they die. One of the two horses yesterday died from an apparent heart attack (he was 9 years old, still on the young end of the scale) but he could have died the same way frolicking in a pasture.
Uh huh... I'm sure the fact that the horse keeled over from a heart attack had nothing at all to do with the fact that the horse had just run a mile and a quarter at 40 miles per hour with some guy on its back.

And why?

Because running at 40 mph with a guy on its back is just like 'frolicking in a pasture'...

Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
I think horse racing is sickening and disgusting.

I refuse to have anything to do with it and wouldn't mind seeing it banned.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
whi-I-I-I-I-nee!

clop, clop, clop, clop, clop

<poops>

Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 PM

898 posts, read 654,966 times
I stopped watching horse racing after I saw Barbaro stumble out of the gate when he was going for the Triple Crown. It was so sad watching his battle to live, his owners try so hard to save his life, then finally having to be put to sleep because of laminitis.

They are beautiful animals, bred to run, but it's so tragic when they get hurt.

I just can't watch horse racing anymore.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM

20,860 posts, read 22,433,523 times
I would like to know why this seems to be happening more and more. Are they breeding horses to be so fast that they are too fragile to hold up to what's expected of them? Is it affecting their health?

Look at horses in the days of Secretariat, they were heavier and stronger. You didn't see them collapse after a race. I GOOGLED how many horses died during or right after races in more recent times and came up with this, it's shocking. I used to enjoy watching horse races but I can't any longer knowing this.

Race Horse Death Watch

Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 7 days ago)

3,920 posts, read 3,183,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Fabric Softener is basically coated in horse or sheep fat. Sugar is white because of the ground up horse bone in it. Where's the outrage at that? At least these animals were fed, cared for, trained to be healthy, hundreds of thousands spent on their welfare. It's a shame they died running on the track. I'm sure their owners were devastated, but at least they lived somewhat fancy lives.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:59 PM

3,749 posts, read 2,903,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Uh huh... I'm sure the fact that the horse keeled over from a heart attack had nothing at all to do with the fact that the horse had just run a mile and a quarter at 40 miles per hour with some guy on its back.

And why?

Because running at 40 mph with a guy on its back is just like 'frolicking in a pasture'...
The horse had not run a mile and a quarter, he had run a mile and a sixteenth, and had run 63 times before that. He was a very successful, and very well loved horse.

Ive had horses die of heart attacks in my pasture. They arent preventable, any more than having a 30 year old man die of a heart attack is preventable.

I have never had a horse injured at the race track, but have had horses break a leg "frolicking in a pasture".

Old 05-23-2016, 05:33 PM

468 posts, read 480,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would like to know why this seems to be happening more and more. Are they breeding horses to be so fast that they are too fragile to hold up to what's expected of them? Is it affecting their health?

Look at horses in the days of Secretariat, they were heavier and stronger. You didn't see them collapse after a race. I GOOGLED how many horses died during or right after races in more recent times and came up with this, it's shocking. I used to enjoy watching horse races but I can't any longer knowing this.

Race Horse Death Watch
It's a lot of stress on the legs - a sesamoid bone is very thin, maybe shockingly so. The PSI a racehorse is exerting compared to their ankles and hooves... they do, however, love to run (witness wild mustangs as Exhibit A). They get the wind in their ears and see a wide open expanse and they just perk right up. They will run as fast as you let the reins out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or