U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 25 days ago)

13,418 posts, read 7,570,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Perhaps he is saying this:
Climbing Everest is becoming more and more of a rich man's sport. What is required is not skill, not desire, not that inner drive...but money. It's not really a technical climb (except maybe the "Hillary step"). People pay huge money to climb, companies provide the mean, Sherpa's provide the manpower - setting up lines and ladders, camps, and hauling up the Oz. I've heard of climbers literally short-roped behind Sherpas and literally carried up. Money also drives the Sherpas - it an industry the provides jobs to the locals.
But, the unprepared climb and the unprepared die. All the money in the world won't get you down from the death zone when things go bad.
That depends on the climber. Some climbers are more skilled than others. And every mountain climber has to be in reasonably good shape at least. Otherwise they give up long before they reach Camp II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Sounds very much like the "trophy hunts" that people like that dentist who killed Cecil the lion take. No skill involved, just something to brag about at the end of the day.

People who undertake these extreme adventures when they have spouses and children are selfish and I don't feel a bit sorry for them when they die up there.
Judgmental much? They still died. It is still lives lost. Besides, most of these people are extremely gifted athletes. Have you ever climbed a mountain, or are you just criticizing others who have? I take issue with those who call people selfish just because they do things for themselves. Sometimes people should engage in activities for self fulfillment. Life isn't always about doing things for your children. You have to take care of your own needs as well, or you can't take care of your children adequately. That includes having fun. Oddly enough, life should include fun as well as work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 AM

20,441 posts, read 20,634,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's a mistake mountain climbers often make. Getting up is only half the battle. Actually it's less than half, because by the time the climber reaches the top and has to make the descent, they are suffering from the effects of oxygen deprivation, fatigue, and exposure already. Thus, they need to be sure they have the strength to also make it down, not just up. Weather and timing are important factors as well.

a concessionaire could make a killing with a stand up on top of the summit selling these to aid the summiteer's descent...

inflatable-zorb-ball

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-23-2016 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 AM

5,224 posts, read 3,720,332 times
Quote:
Sometimes people should engage in activities for self fulfillment. I agree with this but not extreme life risking activities

Life isn't always about doing things for your children. You have to take care of your own needs as well, or you can't take care of your children adequately. If you're dead, you can't take care of them either

That includes having fun. Oddly enough, life should include fun as well as work. dying a horrid death is fun?
I think it's just stupid and it IS selfish.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 AM

7,899 posts, read 5,480,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Most deaths on Everest are not due to altitude sickness.

Avalanches are the biggest killer. After that, falls, exposure and heart attacks all kill as many as altitude sickness (which is actually a blanket term for a number of maladies related to the oxygen-content and atmospheric pressure of high altitudes).

Interestingly, the fatality rate for Everest - ie, the number of deaths per 100 summit attempts - is a little over 1%.
This. The news reports this morning made it seem as though there is such a high risk of death in climbing Mt Everest. It's really VERY LOW compared to numerous other mountains, including but not limited to K2 and Annapurna, which for some reason do not receive nearly as much flack, despite fatality rates of 25% and 32% respectively.

Mt Everest is filled with tour guides, as well as quite a few safety protocols.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 AM

1,509 posts, read 935,461 times
Quote:
Judgmental much? They still died. It is still lives lost. Besides, most of these people are extremely gifted athletes. Have you ever climbed a mountain, or are you just criticizing others who have?
Are you referring to Everest in particualr, or high altitude technical mountain climbing in general?

The average climber on Everest might not be the same person as the average climber on say, K-2, or a host of other smaller , but challenging mountains. My guess is that the average climber on Everest is a wealthy person in good physical condition. That does not equate to being an "extremely gifted athelete". Rather, I have a suspiscion it means: "LA Fitness membership taken seriously for a year or two".

Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM

2,844 posts, read 1,262,084 times
Everest is famous because its the tallest. There are many others .. Try KangrinPoqe, its the unclimbable..

Old 05-23-2016, 10:14 AM

7,899 posts, read 5,480,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Everest is famous because its the tallest. There are many others .. Try KangrinPoqe, its the unclimbable..
Indeed it's the tallest, but not by much at all. K2 is only 200M shorter.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 AM

11,126 posts, read 6,318,516 times
Four people have died on Everest in the last few days, including one Sherpa. I don't understand people risking their lives; many with wives, husbands, children, parents, loved ones; just to say they reached the summit of a mountain.

Statistically, 1 in 20 people die trying. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...22448493,d.amc

Old 05-23-2016, 10:26 AM

5,624 posts, read 3,531,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
If you're doing something for your own pleasure and sense of accomplishment, by definition it's selfish.

To argue otherwise is just nonsensical.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM

497 posts, read 279,205 times
Is it anymore selfish than sitting on the couch, eating cheetos and smoking a pack a day? I don't feel particularly sorry for these guys - they new the risks going in - but I have no problem with them taking the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or