Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 03:21 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

I think it's very sad that they take these thrill seeking risks, and when they die, their family is left to pick up the pieces, loss and devastation... wives without husbands, husbands without wives, children without fathers/mothers and parents without their children. I'm sure they were all promised by their loved one that they'd be back.

I can't imagine knowing that my husband's, son's or daughter's body would be left forever up on that mountain like in many cases.

To me, for these kinds of extreme sports, they have a suicidal wish, but not quite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:29 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Is this another case of climbers being stubborn and reaching the summit even when they most likely know they should abort?

$$$$$$$$$$$$
I don't understand your "$$$$$$$$" what is that suppose to mean?

Old 05-22-2016, 04:11 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Happens all the time. The climbers know the risks. It's part of why they undertake such an adventure.
Right. If nobody died doing it, would there be a point in doing it? For some folks, no.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
Sad but they accomplished their goal
Yes...... I think its harder COMING DOWN A MOUNTAIN than going up!!!!

God bless them both......

Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Perhaps he is saying this:
Climbing Everest is becoming more and more of a rich man's sport. What is required is not skill, not desire, not that inner drive...but money. It's not really a technical climb (except maybe the "Hillary step"). People pay huge money to climb, companies provide the mean, Sherpa's provide the manpower - setting up lines and ladders, camps, and hauling up the Oz. I've heard of climbers literally short-roped behind Sherpas and literally carried up. Money also drives the Sherpas - it an industry the provides jobs to the locals.
But, the unprepared climb and the unprepared die. All the money in the world won't get you down from the death zone when things go bad.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Climbing Everest is a very expensive proposition. People want to summit so they "get their monies worth".

Old 05-22-2016, 09:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
seems to me their goals should also have included making it back down
That's a mistake mountain climbers often make. Getting up is only half the battle. Actually it's less than half, because by the time the climber reaches the top and has to make the descent, they are suffering from the effects of oxygen deprivation, fatigue, and exposure already. Thus, they need to be sure they have the strength to also make it down, not just up. Weather and timing are important factors as well.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think it's very sad that they take these thrill seeking risks, and when they die, their family is left to pick up the pieces, loss and devastation... wives without husbands, husbands without wives, children without fathers/mothers and parents without their children. I'm sure they were all promised by their loved one that they'd be back.
Well said. Such thrill seeking seems to be very poor stewardship of the life that God gave you. This is especially so as a good proportion of the deaths are people doing it totally on a lark. They are not experienced climbers taking gradually increasing calculated risks, nor are they doing it as a means of employment like the Sherpas and tour operators.

As aside note, CNN is now reporting four dead (2 from complications due to altitude, 1 fall, 1 other with no details given.) There are also two missing with not a lot of hope that they are alive.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Zero sympathy from me. They know the risks and its very selfish of them to leave family behind for the sake of a "thrill".

Only sympathy I have is for the Sherpa's who are poor and do this in order to feed their families.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Perhaps he is saying this:
Climbing Everest is becoming more and more of a rich man's sport. What is required is not skill, not desire, not that inner drive...but money. It's not really a technical climb (except maybe the "Hillary step"). People pay huge money to climb, companies provide the mean, Sherpa's provide the manpower - setting up lines and ladders, camps, and hauling up the Oz. I've heard of climbers literally short-roped behind Sherpas and literally carried up. Money also drives the Sherpas - it an industry the provides jobs to the locals.
But, the unprepared climb and the unprepared die. All the money in the world won't get you down from the death zone when things go bad.

Sounds very much like the "trophy hunts" that people like that dentist who killed Cecil the lion take. No skill involved, just something to brag about at the end of the day.

People who undertake these extreme adventures when they have spouses and children are selfish and I don't feel a bit sorry for them when they die up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events