U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM
 
Location: In a state of mind
5,998 posts, read 6,371,798 times
Reputation: 11253

Advertisements

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the bush...

The Sheriff of Pinal County in AZ is warning people to carry guns while hiking in AZ - in case they encounter Cartel Assassins!

Hikers, campers warned about assassins in parts of Pinal County - ABC15 Arizona

Finally, a chance to bring out those "assault rifles."

While I think this is probably a bit "overkill," there apparently have been several gunfights in the area south of Phoenix, so it is a valid concern. But probably if you don't go stupid places, with stupid people and do stupid things, you won't get into a gunfight with "assassins."

Good hunting folks!

Last edited by jamies; 05-23-2016 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2016, 10:14 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 943,764 times
Reputation: 3021
These types of stories usually come out a week before Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,836,206 times
Reputation: 37337
Well, the odds of Cletus or Billy Joe blowing off a few of their own toes, one of them accidentally shooting at the other one in the dark, or putting a bullet in their leg while 'cleaning their gun' (that's what they always tell the police when they were really practicing their Dirty Harry moves) are vastly higher than either of them bagging an assassin.

Be forewarned, hikers and campers! If you see these individuals, do not approach them! Remain still and wait for them to either leave or accidentally shoot themselves - whichever comes first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
9,834 posts, read 7,128,875 times
Reputation: 17980
This is a legitimate concern not something to be laughed at. What we are seeing are the cartel drug wars spilling onto US soil and warning campers of the potential danger is like setting up a no go zone in a war.

The West is turning back into the "Old West" where there is danger out there from bandits and outlaws. The only thing the settlers (hikers) don't have to worry about is Indians.


It is crazy to think that we are actually losing parts of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 07:00 AM
 
3,210 posts, read 2,818,634 times
Reputation: 9280
My husband had some training for work in Phoenix around 12 years ago. The class hiked into that area to do some field work on old mines. They were doing their thing and then realized they had another backpack sitting there among them. They opened it up and it had some radio/transmitting equipment in it. They assume it was to help illegals moving over the border. They left the equipment and backpack there and notified the local authorities. They didn't go back either.

The sheriff's office has information we don't. If they don't think it's safe, it isn't. I've talked to a few people who've lived near the border. They've left because they had experiences where they didn't feel safe. There have also been many stories in the news. Our country is in denial if we don't think these people are a threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,496,652 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, the odds of Cletus or Billy Joe blowing off a few of their own toes, one of them accidentally shooting at the other one in the dark, or putting a bullet in their leg while 'cleaning their gun' (that's what they always tell the police when they were really practicing their Dirty Harry moves) are vastly higher than either of them bagging an assassin.

Be forewarned, hikers and campers! If you see these individuals, do not approach them! Remain still and wait for them to either leave or accidentally shoot themselves - whichever comes first.
Yes, we know, nobody should have guns. Hey, maybe we should just send Bernie out there to talk to 'em about the err of their ways...
The desert around our (AZ) border is NOT a safe place, hasn't been for many years now and we'd certainly go armed when we venture out that way.
Of course some places around Phoenix aren't that safe either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 11:54 AM
 
684 posts, read 345,701 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is crazy to think that we are actually losing parts of our country.

Its been happening for decades now and is nothing new. Look at Detroit, Camden NJ, Gary Indiana and a whole host of places that were once great cities or neighborhoods. The blame goes to a number of factors including globalization and loss of manufacturing jobs (and jobs in general) as well as social changes, drugs and lack or people taking personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,555,754 times
Reputation: 7421
Mexican Drug Cartels Threaten Arizona Police - ABC News
This article is from 2010. The Cartel threatened AZ police to stop taking their drugs or they'd start facing death like the police in Nogales. Inch by inch they try and take over. This isn't new for those of us in border towns. I have news for you, we are just the bridge to the rest of the United States.

It all depends on where you live in America. If you live in a posh suburb you probably think this is minuscule and ridiculous. I get it. But, if you live anywhere rule near the border you have a clear idea of how dangerous these guys are. How many are dealing in America, and how many lives they actually take. It's no joke.

They use people who want to come into our country to carry loads of drugs as payment for getting them here. It's not like people just cross the border easily. They have to pay the price to the Cartel to get here. It's all illegal stuff, and dangerous. The illegal part isn't just entering our country, it's smuggling for the Cartel to get here as well. People really should study up on this and get a clear understanding of the problems illegal immigration causes. People seem to have a real romantic notion of how illegals get access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,813 posts, read 4,318,697 times
Reputation: 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Mexican Drug Cartels Threaten Arizona Police - ABC News
This article is from 2010. The Cartel threatened AZ police to stop taking their drugs or they'd start facing death like the police in Nogales. Inch by inch they try and take over. This isn't new for those of us in border towns. I have news for you, we are just the bridge to the rest of the United States.

It all depends on where you live in America. If you live in a posh suburb you probably think this is minuscule and ridiculous. I get it. But, if you live anywhere rule near the border you have a clear idea of how dangerous these guys are. How many are dealing in America, and how many lives they actually take. It's no joke.

They use people who want to come into our country to carry loads of drugs as payment for getting them here. It's not like people just cross the border easily. They have to pay the price to the Cartel to get here. It's all illegal stuff, and dangerous. The illegal part isn't just entering our country, it's smuggling for the Cartel to get here as well. People really should study up on this and get a clear understanding of the problems illegal immigration causes. People seem to have a real romantic notion of how illegals get access.
^^^I've found that the further from the border, the less people understand or care. They're just not interested because they have the mistaken notion that it doesn't effect them. I lived on the border many years--I know exactly what PoppySeed is referring to. Our family and friends with ranches in the Rio Grande Valley don't go out on their own land unarmed. And they make sure their homes are well defended.

Most of these people aren't crossing the border to chase the American Dream. And while they used to confine their criminal behavior in the border states, it's spreading northward. It's international organized crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Outside of Chicago
4,598 posts, read 3,753,873 times
Reputation: 6549
There are two options...
1) Legalize all drugs.
2) Put the national guard there with 24/7/365 drone surveillance and numerous check points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top