U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 AM

3,030 posts, read 1,387,788 times

Advertisements

90K + bonus is nothing.

Would You want this job for $150K, $200K, $500k and be on the hot seat all the time? Plus being fired at the pleasure of Congress or the President. and not get severence. ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:54 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm
The TSA should be eliminated
I agree totally!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:42 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,053,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
90K + bonus is nothing.
Are you sober?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Would You want this job for $150K, $200K, $500k and be on the hot seat all the time? Plus being fired at the pleasure of Congress or the President. and not get severence. ??
Hmmm ... isn't that what getting a paycheck is all about? Isn't a bonus for being above and beyond? BTW ... this POS really didn't get fired ... he got moved to another position which will allow him to do even more NOTHING.

El Nox

Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM

16,817 posts, read 9,561,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have a lot of experience, you can even say direct experience.

There is no large, organized slow down, they cannot even negotiate compensation like that in their gov position. Do you have any actual proof of this?
You obviously haven't flown when the debt ceiling is approaching and all federally funded budgets are frozen along with overtime pay etc.,

Does over 80 people missing their flights at just one afternoons foolishness, all having to scramble for local hotel rooms, be accommodated on other flights the following day, creating a huge nightmare for airlines have any meaning to you? Does sitting for over two hours in secondary inspection while all agents merely gaze at their computer screens and not actually interviewing anyone while ignoring the scowls from people who've already missed their flights have any familiarity at all?

Do the airline employees, angrier than a hive of disturbed wasps, telling you this happens every time the agents overtime hours are stopped have any relevance?

If you've never experienced that treatment first hand, you haven't lived yet and will drastically modify your opinion of these cretins downward when it does happen to you.

If I ever hear the term "budget sequestration" again during a period of time when I might be thinking of flying through American airspace, my wife has orders to shoot me on the spot!

Last edited by BruSan; 05-25-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 AM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 11 days ago)

13,315 posts, read 7,502,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You obviously haven't flown when the debt ceiling is approaching and all federally funded budgets are frozen along with overtime pay etc.,

Does over 80 people missing their flights at just one afternoons foolishness, all having to scramble for local hotel rooms, be accommodated on other flights the following day, creating a huge nightmare for airlines have any meaning to you? Does sitting for over two hours in secondary inspection while all agents merely gaze at their computer screens and not actually interviewing anyone while ignoring the scowls from people who've already missed their flights have any familiarity at all?

Do the airline employees, angrier than a hive of disturbed wasps, telling you this happens every time the agents overtime hours are stopped have any relevance?

If you've never experienced that treatment first hand, you haven't lived yet and will drastically modify your opinion of these cretins downward when it does happen to you.

If I ever hear the term "budget sequestration" again during a period of time when I might be thinking of flying through American airspace, my wife has orders to shoot me on the spot!
OMG, did this actually happen to you? You have my sympathies, as well as those of all the other travelers who missed flights because of this nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I just signed up for TSA Pre Check. $85 for 5 years and no 3 hour waits. Well worth it. I should have done it sooner but this made me do it. Last year I was in Denver and travelling home on Labor day. The line was out the door and it was well over an hour to get screened. Those on Pre Check it was two minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The fact that a traveler has to pay a hefty fee in order to be able to get through the security line efficiently is repugnant to me. The security screening process should be efficient for ALL travelers, not just for travelers who pay extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
First of all it isn't a hefty fee. You are talking about between $8 to $20 a year for these trusted traveler programs. Plus there are ways of getting your enrollment fee reimbursed if you carry certain credit cards.

There is a difference between the process being efficient and passengers getting though the process efficiently. While people love to blame TSA agents for the long lines, the reality is that a good portion of the delays are caused by passengers. I have yet to see a screening line where there isn't a least one passenger doing something to cause a delay, such as having to take of belts, shoes with laces or buckles, jewelry,or having to dig out laptops or liquids. I compare these programs to paid express lanes on highways. You don't have to pay extra to get to your destination but you can choose to pay extra so that you don't have to worry about delays caused by the government (scheduled construction) or the other drivers (accidents)
That may be true, however, it takes time to take one's shoes and belt off, as well as remove a laptop from a bag. Passengers don't want to carry around laptops unprotected while they are standing in security lines for however long and many don't want to walk on the airport cement in socks. Shoes have laces and buckles. That's part of shoe construction. Passengers can't just beam all their clothes off (as funny as that would be).

If the security process weren't so inefficient at the outset, it would go faster. I see a much more glaring problem when I fly; the lack of open security lanes. My wife and I fly out of one of the busiest airports in America-Intercontinental Airport Houston. Even though the airport has 6 or 8 scanners and x-ray machines, there are only one or two lines actually open every time we have a flight to catch. The heavy volume of passenger traffic requires more open lanes. It's like waiting forever for a checkout at Walmart, only the consequences of waiting too long are much more dire.

As for the Pre-Check, there's a problem with that. My wife has Pre-Check and I don't. It is more efficient. For her, anyway. She got in through United Airines from flying tons of miles before she met me. But because I don't have it, I have to stand in the snail mail line and she ends up waiting just as long as if she didn't have it herself. Many couples and families are in the same position. Some family members have it and not others, so functionally none of the family members have it.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM

12,172 posts, read 6,746,120 times
Since when is getting "reassigned" getting "fired"?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM

2,991 posts, read 1,554,278 times
Quote:
OMG, did this actually happen to you? You have my sympathies, as well as those of all the other travelers who missed flights because of this nonsense.

That may be true, however, it takes time to take one's shoes and belt off, as well as remove a laptop from a bag. Passengers don't want to carry around laptops unprotected while they are standing in security lines for however long and many don't want to walk on the airport cement in socks. Shoes have laces and buckles. That's part of shoe construction. Passengers can't just beam all their clothes off (as funny as that would be).

If the security process weren't so inefficient at the outset, it would go faster. I see a much more glaring problem when I fly; the lack of open security lanes. My wife and I fly out of one of the busiest airports in America-Intercontinental Airport Houston. Even though the airport has 6 or 8 scanners and x-ray machines, there are only one or two lines actually open every time we have a flight to catch. The heavy volume of passenger traffic requires more open lanes. It's like waiting forever for a checkout at Walmart, only the consequences of waiting too long are much more dire.

As for the Pre-Check, there's a problem with that. My wife has Pre-Check and I don't. It is more efficient. For her, anyway. She got in through United Airines from flying tons of miles before she met me. But because I don't have it, I have to stand in the snail mail line and she ends up waiting just as long as if she didn't have it herself. Many couples and families are in the same position. Some family members have it and not others, so functionally none of the family members have it.
That's why my wife is going down the same day as me and getting it done as well. So it will be $170 for two people. It works out to $17 per year for each of us. We each take at least 6 flights a year. It works out to a little less than $3 per flight. So there are people that say the costs are high. However if you break it down I don't believe pre check is expensive. $3 not to stand on a long ass line is well worth it. Look at it this way how much do you spend in the newsstand after you leave the security line?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:29 AM

15,415 posts, read 8,749,263 times
Quote:
After repeated problems with ineffective management over the ever increasing security lines, resulting in thousands of passengers missing their flights and being stranded, as well as security officers missing mock bombs and other contraband in luggage, Kelly Hoggan was removed from position as head of TSA and replaced by his deputy director, Darby LaJoye. He received $90K+ in bonuses in just 13 months on the job. LaJoye promises to reduce wait times and increase efficiency. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully the new director will actually succeed in this mammoth task.

Head of TSA security operations removed from position | KUTV
Those bonuses were given in small increments, most likely to avoid scrutiny. This issue goes higher up that this guy. Time to clean house.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM

32,750 posts, read 17,819,104 times
The Pre-check also means you don't have to get undressed at the "security" checkpoints. My wife and I have it and it's been great especially when going through large airports like Houston, O'Hare and La Guardia.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:00 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,001,144 times
Quote:

While it takes time for people to take off things, there are things that they can do to make the process easier such as wearing slip on shoes, or not wearing a belt, or too much jewelry. They could wait to put those items on after they get through security.

Again I agree that they should have all lanes open but I have long back ups even with all lanes going because people are taking forever to put their items on the belt. Before I had Global Entry, I had things down to a science. I wore shoes that were easy to take off and put on, I never wore a belt, my laptop was easily accessible, and I put my phone in my carryon. Now that I get pre-check I don't have to worry about it but for some reason it wasn't my ticket on my last trip out of BWI so I was unprepared to have to go through regular security and I was annoyed with the time it took me to get ready. I had to untie my shoes and dig out my laptop from the bottom of the bag, and getting everything back together after security took extra time, but that wasted time was all my fault.

Your "problem" with Pre-check isn't a problem, all you have to do is pay for the program. How much is your time worth to you? If you fly only once a year, the program only costs you at most $10 a flight. Is $10 worth saving possibly an hour or more of your time? Fly twice, it's $5, fly even more and the cost is nearly zero, not to mention there are ways for that cost to actually be zero.

I will grant that it is a fair amount for families to have to shell out at once, but with some planning it doesn't have to be done at the same time so you can spread out when you have to incur the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or