U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 03:18 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,977,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
... The big slowdown currently going on in TSA "security" at airports just may well be a deliberate action by the employees to make a bid for more pay, benefits, etc.
What evidence do you have for that statement? Links, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 04:24 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,234,215 times
FWIW, the title and OP of this thread would seem to be wrong.

The person who was fired (Hoggan) was the 'Head of Security Operations/ Assistant Adminsitrator.' That position reports to the 'Administrator' who is the actual head of the TSA (Neffenger).

Edit - for kicks, you can look at page 2 of this document to see the TSA org chart: http://pogoarchives.org/m/wi/fams/appendix-a.pdf

Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 PM

11,473 posts, read 14,046,668 times
Finally, a government worker being terminated for incompetence. Hope it's the start of accountability in government.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:08 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,262,562 times
I have been saying for several years

Hire El Al from Israel they get the job done

Old 05-26-2016, 06:29 AM

10,543 posts, read 6,040,757 times
The TSA should be dissolved. Airlines should do their own security based on the risk of the individual.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 4 days ago)

13,536 posts, read 5,285,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
After repeated problems with ineffective management over the ever increasing security lines, resulting in thousands of passengers missing their flights and being stranded, as well as security officers missing mock bombs and other contraband in luggage, Kelly Hoggan was removed from position as head of TSA and replaced by his deputy director, Darby LaJoye. He received $90K+ in bonuses in just 13 months on the job. LaJoye promises to reduce wait times and increase efficiency. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully the new director will actually succeed in this mammoth task.

Head of TSA security operations removed from position | KUTV
This is like moving around the spots on a leopard. It's still a leopard.

What's needed is to "Israeli" security. Travelers need to be engaged on a selective basis based upon a likelihood that they'd be p to murder and mayhem. 80 year olds are unlikely to be at war with the U.S. Teenagers and young adults much more so. Also people's behavior has to be observed in context. I would hope that a reasonably intelligent person could gain a glimmer of knowledge as to what a person is up to. More use of dogs would also help since dogs can sniff fear as well as explosives. In addition terrorists would be thrown off if screening methods were frequently varied. Doing the same thing for the past 14 1/2 years doesn't fool anyone.

Most terrorists are not going to stand patiently in line for three hours for their weaponry to be picked up. Given the failure to detect mock bombs or contraband, and the fact that actual terrorists are unlikely to wait in a long line for the purpose of being arrested, I doubt that a single actual terrorist has been caught in a TSA screening.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 PM

15,132 posts, read 8,660,482 times
About 7 years ago some TSA agent uttered an implied threat to me because I didn't push my bag through the x ray machine belt. This because another agent had told me to not to touch the bag.

I never judge a person by their job but some of these TSA types make me wonder.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM

2,794 posts, read 1,236,567 times
Quote:
After repeated problems with ineffective management over the ever increasing security lines, resulting in thousands of passengers missing their flights and being stranded, as well as security officers missing mock bombs and other contraband in luggage, Kelly Hoggan was removed from position as head of TSA and replaced by his deputy director, Darby LaJoye. He received $90K+ in bonuses in just 13 months on the job. LaJoye promises to reduce wait times and increase efficiency. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully the new director will actually succeed in this mammoth task.

Head of TSA security operations removed from position | KUTV
I am not sure if only the TSA is the reason for long lines. There are inattentive passengers and repeat offenders who dont take off everything until they are at the checkpoint..

I wouldnt complain..since they play their part in securing .

Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,314,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Finally, a government worker being terminated for incompetence. Hope it's the start of accountability in government.
I think he was just reassigned, not terminated.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 8 days ago)

17,571 posts, read 8,659,063 times
Quote:
Agreed. It was high time they got rid of this clown. A news anchor did a brief interview with him at O'Hare just before he was canned. The reported criticized his actions, (or inactions), in reducing wait time for travelers. The reporter said to him that there was no excuse for travelers to arrive at the airport in a timely manner and miss their flights due to excessive wait times in the security lines. These very long lines left them stranded, waiting for a later booked flight, which increased stress on airlines that had no room for these travelers on the later flights. This of course lead to a vicious cycle for the airlines of overbooking one flight after another through no fault of their own. He gave the lame excuse that the lines were due to searches and that he had the security of America in mind.

Congress got in on the debate and said that privatizing airport security is a good idea. The incredibly bloated TSA budget combined with its ineffectiveness makes the idea of privatization worth considering. If the new director doesn't turn things around in a big way, that might be what ends up happening.
Scooby, are you in the Chicago area, too? (I am.)

I'm in agreement with all points you and the reporter have made, and really don't understand the mentality of those saying it's not TSA's fault - it's due to higher travel volume and slow travelers.

If a local grocery store starts running insane sales, increasing the number of daily customers and the majority of new customers are elderly and slow, are the delays in processing the fault of the customer? Or is it the fault of the store who does nothing to accommodate this new volume and demographic?

Common sense tells us it's the latter and not the former. And I suspect those saying it's not the TSA's fault either work for the TSA, are related to someone who works for the TSA, do not travel, or haven't traveled recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or