Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:34 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I edited my post and added some information that's only on Taiwanese sites. I wasn't referring to the drugs, I was talking about the entire system of animal protection.
Ah, I see. It does seem like the animal protection laws in Taiwan need to be improved. Still, the vet's death comes down in the end to depression plus medical knowledge plus access to dangerous medications. If anything else had caused her to become suicidally depressed (relationship issues, financial problems, whatever), the results would have been the same.

And medical fields attract a high percentage of "save the world!" types, which doesn't help. It's not easy to accept the reality that some problems are simply bigger than you are, and you can't fix them (at least not on your own).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 04:37 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
I think its a shame people would put all the ill-treatment of dogs squarely on her shoulders. Why would they bash her rather than simply go adopt a dog, or rally to make no kill shelters the law of the land - IF they care about what she does so much ?

Honestly, the world would be a better place with more Jians and less selfish and reckless bullies.

R.I.P. Jian. No one can hurt you or those countless pups anymore.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:37 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Having to dispose of unwanted dogs has to be a very depressing job. I couldn't do it. It's too bad humans can't be more responsible with their pets.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I think its a shame people would put all the ill-treatment of dogs squarely on her shoulders. Why would they bash her rather than simply go adopt a dog, or rally to make no kill shelters the law of the land - IF they care about what she does so much ?
Because that would require actual WORK! It's much easier and more emotionally satisfying to ignore the larger picture and just bash the poor vet who's stuck handling the mess that others have made.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I would't be able to handle it.

What a terrible story.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
"In a suicide note she left behind, she said: "A (human) life is no different from a dog's;"

Really? *sigh* I have no words.........
Agree.

Here's a thought: quit your job.
No sympathy here. No job is worth your life...

Old 05-25-2016, 08:30 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I feel for that unfortunate veterinarian; she really did have a hard, thankless job. Would that it be that she could have just quit, instead of taking her own life.

Quote:
She had allegedly become upset after animal rights activists had sent her threatening messages and even calling her a 'butcher with beauty' when it was revealed on a television programme the number of animals she had been forced to put to sleep.
Sadly typical of all too many diehard activists, who see anyone not 100% aligned with their cause as an enemy to defeat, rather than someone who may just have a different opinion, or even (as seems likely with this case) someone who is sympathetic to their cause but is overwhelmed with the demands of the real world (which is rarely if ever as black-and-white as the activists want it to be).

Hey, Taiwanese animal-rights activists, did it ever occur to you to adopt one of the dogs from the shelter? Or contribute money to building more shelters where the dogs could be taken care of? Or volunteering your time to help take care of the dogs? No? Didn't think so. It's so much easier, and emotionally satisfying, to sit on your high horse and demonstrate your supposed moral superiority by sending hate mail to someone instead of trying to see things from their perspective and offering them some help.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:04 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
I feel bad now telling him that when a dog is cremated it becomes barkdust.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Here's a thought: quit your job.
No sympathy here. No job is worth your life...
Which is why the story is ultimately about depression, not Taiwan's horrible animal protection laws. Depressed people don't think clearly. And when the depressed person has easy access to lethal drugs, all too often the result is a tragedy.

If this poor vet had been thinking clearly, she would have realized that it was time to quit her job and do something else that would allow her to help animals without burning out. But her depression made it seem like there was only one option left to her, and unfortunately she decided to take it.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
well, he had a long and good life and knew we loved him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events