U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM

20,585 posts, read 15,415,894 times

Advertisements

It's amazing what people do not know.

The common person CAN go buy them....I suppose no one on here has ever worked in a vet's office, so I'll say only this:

Look in the fish aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 PM

21,477 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Soldier treats illness with fish pills - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 PM

The Washington Post via the Chicago Tribune can say what they want, it's the same darn thing.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The Washington Post via the Chicago Tribune can say what they want, it's the same darn thing.
Yes, that was the point of posting the link. What do you think the link is saying? Perhaps I missed something.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, that was the point of posting the link. What do you think the link is saying? Perhaps I missed something.
I read up to the part where they said his condition got worse after taking the "fish pills" and had to go to a "human" hospital.

Quote:
Here's a new one: Guy with a bad sinus infection decides to treat it himself. Buys blister packs of penicillin and other antibiotics--not at a drugstore but at a pet store. Takes medicines formulated for fish because such substances don't require a prescription. Gets worse. Breaks down and goes to a clinic. For humans.

This true story, recounted by doctors at the Pentagon's DiLorenzo Tricare Health Clinic in a recent letter in the New England Journal of Medicine, highlights one of the more unusual examples of drug-seeking behavior: the potentially dangerous practice of using veterinary antibiotics to treat human infections.
That's where I stopped reading. No matter, "they" haven't done anything about it, you can still get the "fish pills" that you need either online or in a pet store.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I read up to the part where they said his condition got worse after taking the "fish pills" and had to go to a "human" hospital.

That's where I stopped reading. No matter, "they" haven't done anything about it, you can still get the "fish pills" that you need either online or in a pet store.
You should have read the rest of it. It explains why the fish product is not the same as the human version.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
No, this is part of the antibiotic apocalypse. There aren't that many drugs left on the shelf, we've already gone back to horribly toxic drugs because our benign ones have failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Before the discovery of antibiotics, did bacteria not mutate into other forms that resulted in other forms of illness or death?

Could it just be that new mutations are occurring all the time, and if we did not use the current crop of antibiotics to kill off the known bad bacteria, more mutations would be occurring and more deadly bacteria would be around?

I agree that once starting an antibiotic regimen you should continue it. I also think that the fear of using too much antibiotics, whether warranted or not, can allow some bacteria to survive beyond the course in some people. Some times, I have been on an antibiotic for the correct reasons, and the pills ran out before the infection was totally out of my system, and I had to start all over again.

Survival of the fittest or survival of the strongest mutation? Thee are many instances in animal evolution of species that have "adapted" to their environment. Did they really adapt, or did a natural mutation occur that made their subspecies better at surviving whatever the environment threw at them? Over time the subspecies became dominant. How much different is bacteria in his regard?
Actually, they're starting to recommend the opposite, to stop the abx when you feel better, on the theory that at that point the selection pressure for the resistant bugs won't be as strong. The length of antibiotic regimes was largely just a guess anyway, few have been tested.

You might want to read about evolution, that is exactly what 'survival of the fittest' is, mutations happen all the time, only sometimes conditions change and they confer an advantage. That is adaptation. Adaptation is not something an individual does, but a population. Although, of course, bacteria have horizontal gene transfer so an individual can gain a resistance gene like the one in the OP without having to mutate or reproduce.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 AM

40,879 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Maybe if doctors would quit peddling powerful antibiotics for every little thing, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Several years ago, my doctor prescribed one week of Cipro to me for some sort of minor infection. Not knowing much about this, and rarely being sick, I took the meds and had no issue - in fact, I completely forgot I ever took them...till both my Achilles tendons fell apart and had to be rebuilt via surgery and months of disability and recuperation.

Come to find out, Cipro (and the other drugs in the fluoroquinolone family - all very commonly prescribed antibiotics) are so rife with issues (Achilles tendon damage being one of the most common side effects) that the FDA has tried to warn doctors and curtail these prescriptions for years. And yet, they're continually pushed on patients for minor ailments and infections like ear infections, UTIs, etc.

These drugs were developed to treat anthrax and ebola. Using them to treat minor illnesses is like shooting a mouse with a machine gun.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/854067
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm365050.htm
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm500143.htm

My advice is to avoid antibiotics whenever possible. And my advice to doctors is to prescribe the smallest dose of the mildest antibiotics possible for each patient.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 AM

15,546 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I agree. My mother-in-law frightens me with her use (or misuse) of antibiotics for ever little perceived infection. It's cultural for her. Her age group cant imagine waiting 3 days for a UTI to play itself out naturally.

I have a 'little person' friend who is wheelchair-bound publicly. Although her legs are useless for walking, its amazing how well she can scoot around in her own home. She has been forced to ride out UTI's, with simply drinking plenty of water and waiting, due to the fact she brought herself into the realm of only having 1 antibiotic left at her disposal. Her doctor advised riding out the UTIs, rather than use the 1 she had left, just incase she should contract a more serious infection that she would really need it for.

I rarely get UTIs. I drink 100% cranberry juice mixed with a good amount of water daily. I have a whole passel of antibiotics at my disposal, because I rarely take them. I am allergic to penicillin, but those who aren't should ask their doctor for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Allowing a simple bladder infection to "play itself out" can result in a kidney infection, which may result in hospitalization and may produce chronic kidney damage. However, it is possible for urine to contain bacteria without causing any symptoms, and patients who are repeatedly colonized may not need treatment. Cranberry juice may indeed help reduce the risk of getting urinary infections, but it will not treat one that is established. I do not know many doctors who would expect a patient to just suffer through a painful UTI.
Thank you, Suzy. As a woman who has suffered for three decades with recurrent UTI, the initial story was my very worst nightmare. Thankfully, mine usually respond to a three-day course, although I've had a few that required stepping up to another antibiotic, usually Cipro. My father's aunt died of urosepsis following pyelonephritis, so I don't mess around with bladder infections. I call the doctor for a culture as soon as I start feeling the symptoms.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:39 AM

20,981 posts, read 10,618,862 times
Thanks, I will be using those from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or