U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 04:00 AM

18,260 posts, read 11,663,507 times

Advertisements

So you thought that building homes in California on burial grounds only happened in the film Poltergeist?

Read on: 145-year-old coffin with young girl found under a San Francisco home | Daily Mail Online

What started the sequence of events: Trina Lopez - Filmmaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 07:36 AM

8,716 posts, read 8,919,801 times
Kinda freaky. I think in the back of my mind I'd forever think "What if there are others buried under my home" if I lived there

Old 05-27-2016, 08:26 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,827,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So you thought that building homes in California on burial grounds only happened in the film Poltergeist?[/url]
Does anyone really think that?

In 1870 the population of the United States was 40 million, and the disposition of remains was a lot less regulated than it is now. Those 40 million people are somewhere, and a fair portion of their locations are undocumented.

Hell, our English friends found one of their kings under a parking lot!

Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's - BBC News

Old 05-27-2016, 10:16 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I guess they could do dna testing if they hoped to find her biological relatives. At this point, I'm not sure it matters. Her immediate family is gone. She just needs to be reburied. Preferably where the rest of the people were reburied.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Does anyone really think that?

In 1870 the population of the United States was 40 million, and the disposition of remains was a lot less regulated than it is now. Those 40 million people are somewhere, and a fair portion of their locations are undocumented.

Hell, our English friends found one of their kings under a parking lot!

Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's - BBC News

It was sort of a joke, not meant to be taken literally. Or did that just go over your head?

As for the rest of your comment, did you even bother to read the second linked piece.

The remains as were thousands of others were legally buried under all (then) proper regulations. It just so happened that like many other urban areas (Paris, France for instance) a decision was later made to remove all underground burials from San Francisco and ban further internments.

NYC did sort of the same thing (banning future burials within Manhattan), but burial grounds were mostly left as they were; that is unless the ground was to be repurposed. In that case remains were dug up and moved. However being as that may nothing is 100% and construction crews are still finding burials to this day. Washington Square Park is built upon a former hanging and burial ground. So is Madison Square Park and even parts of Central Park. Washington Square park crypt's bodies most likely belonged to Presbyterian church* | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by BugsyPal; 05-27-2016 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 08:32 AM

8,100 posts, read 4,451,704 times
we have an old cemetery downtown and half of the graves were found outside the wall under the parking lot. ground penetration radar. they just left them there. Been there over hundred years, not really hurting anything.

the story was, if you got divorce you could not be buried in the catholic cemetery , so you were buried outside the wall

Old 05-28-2016, 11:46 AM

96 posts, read 102,618 times
I saw the story a couple of days ago. It didn't freak me out in the sense of 'OMG, some kid is buried under a home'.

That's just me. I was far more interested in the fact that she was described as being virtually intact initially. As in the lavender flowers woven into her hair were still intact and the red rose she was holding, still intact.

And her long white burial dress was still intact. Her body only decayed AFTER the coroner's office broke the seal on her lead/glass coffin. THEN the homeowner's house she was found under was told that THEIR family is now responsible for the cost to re-inter the child. Weird stuff.

I don't discount what some call paranormal activity. I just don't believe in demonic possession or *harmful* ghosts/poltergeists as depicted in movies. Ever since I was a child I get flashes and feelings that foreshadow harm or death.

Won't bore anyone with a lot of detail. I will only say that these feelings I get are more often true than not. But I've never had any feeling that any 'entity' was trying to harm me.

Again, I'm far more interested in how the child's body was intact.

Last edited by Wytchywoman; 05-28-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 04:14 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,146,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchywoman View Post
Again, I'm far more interested in how the child's body was intact.

Those lead-glass type coffins are hermetically sealed, and no air can get inside until the seal is broken. So, bodies don't tend to deteriorate when sealed in them.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Those lead-glass type coffins are hermetically sealed, and no air can get inside until the seal is broken. So, bodies don't tend to deteriorate when sealed in them.

Wrapping and or encasing a corpse in lead seems to have remarkable perseveration properties, this even long before modern embalming techniques and chemicals make it possible to almost preserve a body forever (Eva Peron).

Henry VIII's final wife, Catherine Parr's body was wrapped in a lead casing before being placed in a coffin and tomb.

A few hundred years later a bunch of nosey "ladies" poked holes in the lead casing to find the queen's body very much like it was at death. Sadly by breaking the lead seal the busy-bodies allowed he process of decay to begin in earnest. When next the coffin was opened CP's body was in advanced states of decay.

The Death of Catherine Parr - The Anne Boleyn Files

Sudeley Castle: the curious life and death of Katherine Parr - Telegraph

Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 AM

8,716 posts, read 8,919,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
we have an old cemetery downtown and half of the graves were found outside the wall under the parking lot. ground penetration radar. they just left them there. Been there over hundred years, not really hurting anything.

Years back, when I did construction, we discovered an old crypt buried under a main road under a pretty main street in a suburb of Boston dating back to the late 1700's.

Pretty much just sealed it back up, and moved on and forgot about it.

I'm sure there are a lot more forgotten bodies out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or