U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,525,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Yes because if not because of the US they'd be known as suburban Germany.
Nice try, but if anything, I'd imagine their government would be more focused on the possibility of another people's revolution. I LOVE French Fries. Did you ever hear anyone order Freedom Fries, lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 PM

9,110 posts, read 3,722,434 times
Why is this an issue? I can't even access my email or anything in the office if I am not there.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:42 PM

21,019 posts, read 10,647,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I love France. I know, its Politically Incorrect for an American to say, but its true. They go out of their way to make the citizens life as stress-free as possible. Bravo!
Yes, not so stress free for the impoverished Muslim minority or the society a few of them terrorize. French economic policies lead to high unemployment and terrorist attacks.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:52 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,525,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, not so stress free for the impoverished Muslim minority or the society a few of them terrorize. French economic policies lead to high unemployment and terrorist attacks.
Really? You think the French condition of high unemployment has no relation to high unemployment in the US and other European countries? Interesting concept. I'll have to think about that for a while.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:56 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,215,053 times
I love how every thread on C-D eventually turns into, "Ugh, look at these idiots, we are so much superior."

Mick

Old 05-28-2016, 07:33 PM

748 posts, read 381,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Why is this an issue? I can't even access my email or anything in the office if I am not there.
That's about how it is with my job - the city employee e-mail system can only be accessed through the staff-only websites. (might be different though, for those who work in upper management)

Old 05-28-2016, 07:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,597,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What law does that fall under? Because the last place I worked for emailed employees off hours regarding work and no one got paid for the off hour time. Same with friends at their workplace.

Can you post a link to this? I am retired but I still have friends who are pestered by work emails no matter what time of day and I know they would like to see it. No they were not all exempt employees.
It's the compensable time portion of FLSA. If you look up something like "checking email FLSA" you will find lots of articles about it. Which ones are most relevant depends on your industry and location. (For example, government jobs are exempt from this portion and can give people comp time for checking emails after hours instead of paying them.)

In particular, the "suffered or permitted" part is very relevant. It doesn't matter if employees are not required to check and respond to emails. Just by doing it and the employer permitting them to do it, they have to be compensated.
State laws are often even more strict about this than FLSA too. Whereas FLSA is basically straight time for hours worked checking email, state laws often will have a minimal billable hours (e.g. if you respond to one email, it is automatically an hour of work) and will have daily overtime maximums that FLSA does not. (So, even if you are not at overtime for the week, if you worked 8 hours Friday then checked your email, that time spent checking your email is automatically paid at overtime.)

Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 PM

51,350 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
It is illegal in France to email workers during off hours | FOX25

Any thoughts on this?

Honestly, no one's telling people to check their email during off hours. Aren't we all adults?
It doesn't always work that way. I had a boss who would email you nights and weekends and get nasty when you didn't answer in a certain time frame. She once called one of the other managers at home on a a Sunday night, asking him if his family was ok. He said "yes, why?" She said "I've been emailing you all weekend and you never responded so I thought there must be some kind of emergency."

In other words, "unless you have a family emergency, you respond to my emails."

Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wouldn't go that far. There's definitely an expectation that I check my email during off hours. Especially since I'm an exempt employee with a company-supplied smart phone.
Exactly.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I love France. I know, its Politically Incorrect for an American to say, but its true. They go out of their way to make the citizens life as stress-free as possible. Bravo!
And you get a nice full glass of red wine with your dinner for only 3,50!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or