U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2016, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Houston
20,984 posts, read 10,622,648 times
Reputation: 8213

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post



The villagers may be fine with the life they have, but access to healthcare, markets and education are a problem for them; otherwise, they may be perfectly happy not having other modern conveniences. If the place is as beautiful as it sounds, and I cant think of a more rewarding and stress-free existence than farming, the government should provide them a working lift, and let them continue on with their peaceful lives.
So other Chinese can stress out and pay taxes to heavily subsidize the stress free existence of a small village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,522,928 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So other Chinese can stress out and pay taxes to heavily subsidize the stress free existence of a small village?
So how much do you figure they will stress out over the cost of running a simple lift? It could probably be powered by a ox or two, a wheel, and a cable if need be. As China is a communist country, it would seem to go against their basic principles to exclude these people from any benefit of be subjugated to their law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Houston
20,984 posts, read 10,622,648 times
Reputation: 8213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
So how much do you figure they will stress out over the cost of running a simple lift? It could probably be powered by a ox or two, a wheel, and a cable if need be. As China is a communist country, it would seem to go against their basic principles to exclude these people from any benefit of be subjugated to their law.
China is no longer a communist country and communist countries have even harsher limits than capitalist nations of what they can subsidize. It seems like the villagers chose not to pay for such a lift themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,522,928 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
China is no longer a communist country and communist countries have even harsher limits than capitalist nations of what they can subsidize. It seems like the villagers chose not to pay for such a lift themselves.
Perhaps I stand to be corrected. I know that economic reforms have been put in place, but I have seen nothing pointing to political reforms.

"For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, China was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Chinese Communists under Mao Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, Mao's successor Deng Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled in China. For much of the Chinese population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight. China since the early 1990s has increased its global outreach and participation in international organizations. (Source: CIA World FactBook)"

No longer being a closed society completely does not mean they are no longer communist. Can you point to any documentation that supports your stance? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 831,761 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Perhaps I stand to be corrected. I know that economic reforms have been put in place, but I have seen nothing pointing to political reforms.

"For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, China was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Chinese Communists under Mao Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, Mao's successor Deng Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled in China. For much of the Chinese population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight. China since the early 1990s has increased its global outreach and participation in international organizations. (Source: CIA World FactBook)"

No longer being a closed society completely does not mean they are no longer communist. Can you point to any documentation that supports your stance? Thanks.
you are correct. though, trade has opened in past 30 years, chinese citizens are still controlled by communist regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Reputation: 11035
Next time I read about NAMs blaming their poor school performance on "prejudice", "white privilege", not having teachers who look like the students, not having free this or that - and all the other excuses, I'm going to link to THIS story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Houston
20,984 posts, read 10,622,648 times
Reputation: 8213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Perhaps I stand to be corrected. I know that economic reforms have been put in place, but I have seen nothing pointing to political reforms.

"For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, China was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Chinese Communists under Mao Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, Mao's successor Deng Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled in China. For much of the Chinese population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight. China since the early 1990s has increased its global outreach and participation in international organizations. (Source: CIA World FactBook)"

No longer being a closed society completely does not mean they are no longer communist. Can you point to any documentation that supports your stance? Thanks.

Let's just start with the fact that they were never truly communist. As envisioned by Marx communism was the state where all voluntarily shared the means and output of production after the state had withered away.

What China was is a socialist nation where the state owned much of the means of production. They have transitioned to a state where the state controls most of the output of production. Fascist state better applies to China's current economic status.

http://blogs.worldbank.org/eastasiap...w-big-are-they
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,522,928 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let's just start with the fact that they were never truly communist. As envisioned by Marx communism was the state where all voluntarily shared the means and output of production after the state had withered away.

What China was is a socialist nation where the state owned much of the means of production. They have transitioned to a state where the state controls most of the output of production. Fascist state better applies to China's current economic status.

State-owned enterprises in China: How big are they? | East Asia & Pacific on the rise
Fine, but you didn't say that before. So, okay - its a facist country mascarading as a communist one. China's flag is a clear representation of communism.

I find it interesting that people act like everything is a criticism of Asian culture. I think there are some good aspects of worrying about face and honor. I think there are some good aspects of communism on a community level. I see my neighbor's helping each other, feeding each other, and doing things voluntarily to improve our block. They will help me and feed me too, although I am not Chinese. It reminds me of an America long ago.

Things that were once commonplace, like being invited to walk in and out of my neighbor's home at will - I still see in them.

I see their second and third generation children, although very American, still worrying when they don't please their father. We should be able to discuss those things. It doesn't give Asia a weak face at all in my opinion to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 02:13 PM
 
4,754 posts, read 1,870,062 times
Reputation: 4816
Sometimes beautiful things come with a price. I can see why the people live there, your house looks down on the world. More power to them and for all the money in China they can put a goddamn set of stairs on it ffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Status: "MAGA" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: New Jersey
10,435 posts, read 5,979,636 times
Reputation: 10262
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So other Chinese can stress out and pay taxes to heavily subsidize the stress free existence of a small village?
Soon they'll start taxing the villagers' crops and moonshine to pay for stair maintenance. Then the maintenance workers will start demanding more money and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top