Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
My question is why build a school on top of a mountain without an adequate way of reaching it? I wonder how many children have either died or received serious injuries from this climb as I know most of China gets winters with snow I sure as hell hope these children didn't have to climb in such appalling conditions.
Because the kid's families are already living up there. They could probably build their own somewhat primitive school, not unlike the homes. Can that community provide it a teacher is another question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Lu is an anchor baby, and therefore an American. Or something.

Mick
Educate me, Mick. What the heck is an anchor baby?

Old 05-28-2016, 07:03 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Educate me, Mick. What the heck is an anchor baby?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

Mick

Old 05-28-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Thanks never heard of that before.

The Daily Mail reports him to be from China.

Lu Hao: Chinese toddler, 3, weighs a staggering 132lbs and he's still growing | Daily Mail Online

And the Huffington Post reports him to still be there.

Lu Hao, 132-Pound Toddler In China, Gains Weight Inexplicably

Sadly, they report doctors are baffled by his weigh gain - but it seems to me his parents are his enablers. They would rather to satisfy his hunger than hear him cry.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:58 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
I climbed up an aluminum ladder from the ground to the roof of a three-story house once. That was quite high enough for me. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for those kids to make that long climb up the sheer rock face of a mountain on a bamboo ladder. And what must it be like for those poor unfortunate souls who lost their grip and fell . . .

That said, I would have to assume that the villagers are not imprisoned on the top of their mountain. Do they not have the ability to relocate their village to the valley? (Maybe this assumption is off-base, I don't know.) If so, then it's on them if they choose to stay way up there. It's nice that the government is going to build them a "stairway to heaven" but I don't see where they should spend a boatload of money to build them an elevator or a lift or whatever. They've chosen their life (presumably) and they have to accept the tradeoffs that go with it.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Wondering if they have to climb down to get to school as well?

Old 05-28-2016, 10:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Yeah......screw that.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/a...a_2887932a.jpg

http://i0.wp.com/www.weirdasianews.c...size=700%2C462

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsEhzjzIhk

Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Although they might climb a total of 2600 feet to get to school, a tremendous accomplishment, I seriously doubt that the ladder is 2600 feet, a half mile, long.

Of course, why would anybody in the news media question this and check - why ruin a good clickbait story?
That ladder isn't, but there is a series of ladders. Supposedly it takes the kids about an hour and a half to get all the way up to the top.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I had no idea that Lu Hao, the world's fattest kid, was American. Thanks for the update.
China is the most populous country on earth. They have the -est of everything: fattest, tallest, shortest, smartest, dumbest, what have you. And one kid does not an epidemic make.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
China is the most populous country on earth. They have the -est of everything: fattest, tallest, shortest, smartest, dumbest, what have you. And one kid does not an epidemic make.
Hey, you started this, lol.

Just look up fat Asians. There are fat people everywhere. Not sure why the random slam on American kids. Most Americans, even the Asian ones, have adequate means to get back and forth from school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events