U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:25 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,437,392 times

Advertisements

Season Approaches: U.S. Hits Record 127 Months Since Major Hurricane Strike

It will officially be a record in 4 days. Lets all get an early start and congratulate FEMA and federal government policies for this success!! j/k

I think back to post Katrina predictions of ever increasing Hurricane activity due to 'global warming'. No comment by those Chicken Littles Mike Tidwel, Russ Mitchell, Kenny Ausubel, Robert Bazell and others on why Hurricane activity has been so low over the past ten years.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/08/...after-katrina/

Katrina Anniversary: Media's 10 Most Outlandish Hurricane Predictions Full of Hot Air
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,151 times
Thanks Obama!!!!!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM

8,273 posts, read 10,526,318 times
They're defining the stats for Category 3 and over. But Hurricane Sandy of 11/2012 although a Cat 2 was $20 billion and nearly 300 deaths, no small thing.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:12 PM

48,923 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Season Approaches: U.S. Hits Record 127 Months Since Major Hurricane Strike

It will officially be a record in 4 days. Lets all get an early start and congratulate FEMA and federal government policies for this success!! j/k

I think back to post Katrina predictions of ever increasing Hurricane activity due to 'global warming'. No comment by those Chicken Littles Mike Tidwel, Russ Mitchell, Kenny Ausubel, Robert Bazell and others on why Hurricane activity has been so low over the past ten years.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/08/...after-katrina/

Katrina Anniversary: Media's 10 Most Outlandish Hurricane Predictions Full of Hot Air
The issue is that with something that has a low probability of occurring in any given year is that you need lots of years before you can draw any conclusions.

All this really means is that people without an understanding of statistics have incorrectly used them on both sides of the argument. They generally do this to shill for whatever narrative, product etc. they are selling.

For example, if we expected to have 2 hurricanes in a 10 year period, there is around a 14% chance of having 0. (Poisson distribution). 27% of 1, 27% of 2.....1% of 6.

What that should tell you is that a ten year period looking just at US landfalls of just CAT3 or greater is a ridiculously short period of time to draw conclusions from.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM

4,029 posts, read 1,804,654 times
I live on the coast near the NC-SC boarder. Any day with out a hurricane is a good day.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:49 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,437,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The issue is that with something that has a low probability of occurring in any given year is that you need lots of years before you can draw any conclusions.

All this really means is that people without an understanding of statistics have incorrectly used them on both sides of the argument. They generally do this to shill for whatever narrative, product etc. they are selling.

For example, if we expected to have 2 hurricanes in a 10 year period, there is around a 14% chance of having 0. (Poisson distribution). 27% of 1, 27% of 2.....1% of 6.

What that should tell you is that a ten year period looking just at US landfalls of just CAT3 or greater is a ridiculously short period of time to draw conclusions from.
I agree with you in principle, and I will add Hurricanes tend to occur, or not occur, in clusters due to el nino and other weather phenomenon so a simple statistical analysis is not fully accurate.

But your example greatly under estimates the frequency of major hurricanes, according to the data chart in the first link there have been 93 major hurricanes since 1851 to strike the US. That is 5.6 hurricanes in a 10 year period.

The only people making claims from Hurricane data trends were those after Katrina predictors of doom and others that I referenced in my OP. I don't know of any conclusions anyone on "the other side of the argument" is drawing from the recent period of Hurricane inactivity.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:00 PM

48,923 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I agree with you in principle, and I will add Hurricanes tend to occur, or not occur, in clusters due to el nino and other weather phenomenon so a simple statistical analysis is not fully accurate.

But your example greatly under estimates the frequency of major hurricanes, according to the data chart in the first link there have been 93 major hurricanes since 1851 to strike the US. That is 5.6 hurricanes in a 10 year period.

The only people making claims from Hurricane data trends were those after Katrina predictors of doom and others that I referenced in my OP. I don't know of any conclusions anyone on "the other side of the argument" is drawing from the recent period of Hurricane inactivity.
Yep, all good points.

Sure, using the 5.6 and of course ignoring that they aren't truly random variables the odds of zero are around 1 in 270 or less than 1/2%.

It's rare but not exactly lottery odds.

I've seen people point to the lack of hurricanes as proof that there is no global warming....just like people pointed to the year we had several as proof that there is global warming.

I mean, let's face it. ANYTIME there is some sort of odd weather pattern people are going to latch onto it to try to further their views.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:46 PM

11,073 posts, read 9,003,526 times
Hurricanes and/or the lack of hurricanes is most definitely and/or is not at all tied to global warming and/or global cooling.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 10,362,555 times
Ike was 2008. May not have killed many people, but it certainly rung up enough $$ in damage.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:10 PM

2,939 posts, read 1,436,340 times
Maybe they are using matter/anti-matter explosions to kill baby hurricanes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or