U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,576,851 times

Advertisements

I am fairly proficient with a handgun yet there's a very slim chance that I would be able to shoot a running person in the leg, and even if I got "lucky" there's a relatively high chance to hit a femoral artery or other major vessel and have them bleed to death in no time.

There's also a very high chance that a shot will miss, ricochet, and kill an innocent passerby 100 ft away, while the guy with the knife is stabbing the shooter and getting hold of his / her gun.

In other words, the shot in the leg is (a) extremely iffy and (b) still very dangerous, and actually far more dangerous to the passerbys than the person being shot at.

She got lucky - both of them got lucky - but this was a stupid decision. The officers must be trained to excercise the utmost restraint when using the gun, but once the gun is out it is there to immediately incapacitate the threat - and this does not mean shooting in the leg.

Not a single person who knows their way around a gun would support the "shoot them in the leg" crowd. As with many other issues revolving around guns, the most extreme opinions are held by the people who have zero knowledge or experience with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,630,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

Not a single person who knows their way around a gun would support the "shoot them in the leg" crowd. As with many other issues revolving around guns, the most extreme opinions are held by the people who have zero knowledge or experience with them.

Exactly!

Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Edited to add: Do shooting ranges provide training against an attacker from an angle?
Yes they have many scenarios in live fire training...BUT - for many police departments you have to remember that actual live fire training is altogether inadequate, with some officers having there last training at the academy. That is one of the multiple reasons that officers are trained to hit center mass, because most of them can't hit the broad side of a barn. But that is an altogether separate topic...

Otherwise it doesn't really matter - at an angle the center of mass is still the largest ,easiest, and most vulnerable target to hit, not the legs.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:19 PM

486 posts, read 613,942 times
She was looking at his knife and that was where she shot.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:13 PM

991 posts, read 710,326 times

Old 05-28-2016, 02:13 PM

2,084 posts, read 793,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
She was lucky. She made a wise decision, and it worked. For her, in that incident.
the next person faced with that choice may not be so lucky.
Personally, I would go for the "center of mass" shot. Right in the center of the chest. I would want to ensure that I was able to go home to my family that night! I would not care where the perp went.

Perhaps you could be the one shot in the chest instead of the leg. I hope you get a reprieve if this thing would happen to you. It is not impossible. There is so much violence all around your country. I could not live there for fear of my life. Someone gets mad at me and BANG BANG.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Perhaps you could be the one shot in the chest instead of the leg. I hope you get a reprieve if this thing would happen to you. It is not impossible. There is so much violence all around your country. I could not live there for fear of my life. Someone gets mad at me and BANG BANG.
OK, fine. You keep thinking that way. Tell all your friends, too. Canadians should stay in Canada, not come to the U.S. and put down roots like they do in Whitefish, MT.
Montana is a dangerous place; nearly everybody owns guns, and it is an "Open Carry" state, but Concealed Carry Permits are only necessary in incorporated municipalities. There is no way to tell who is armed and who is not! But then, I am over 74 years old, and have only been shot once. That was over 60 years ago.
Maybe it isn't all THAT dangerous, after all...

Old 05-28-2016, 02:44 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,899,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the threat and don't stop shooting until the threat has been contained. Whether that leaves the target dead or injured is irrelevant as long as they are no longer an immediate threat to anyone.
You are wrong, and if given the chance, will likely be dead wrong.

You don't aim unless you intend to shoot.

You don't shoot unless you intend to kill.

Defense 101.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:14 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,795,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

........ She shot him in the leg, which resulted in him falling to the ground. He was placed under arrest, hand cuffed and treated by Vancouver EMS at the scene.

She made a split second choice to aim at his leg, not his chest.

The link to the news article, with photos.

Amateur photographer captures moment Vancouver police officer shot knife-wielding man | Vancouver Sun

The officer was not injured, but has been placed on leave for 5 days. The Provincial Special Investigation Unit ( a non Police investigation group ) will investigate this case, as they do in all cases where a person is wounded or killed by Police in British Columbia. The SIU will publish it's findings in 60 days to the media.

Jim B.
My browser is out of date so that link wouldn't open for me. I'm curious if it showed the video that was taken of the entire incident from beginning to end or if it witheld information and only showed a few select still photographs of only the actual shooting?

Does it show photos or the full video of what happened to the shot man after he was shot and was trying to crawl away, when he was being kicked and beaten on the ground by 7 or 8 additional police officers while being restrained by them before he was carried away? Because I think that's an important part of the story too and there are a lot of people here in British Columbia who feel that while the shooting was justified those 7 or 8 officers went rather overboard in beating and kicking a shot man after he was down on the ground and who was very clearly totally mentally off the wall and around the bend crazy in the head.

While I guess kudos should go out to the officer who got off what I think was her lucky shot that took the man in the leg instead of center mass, I personally don't feel that this incident was something to crow about or to be posting about. At least not yet. I think if it was something worthy to post about it would have been better to wait until the SIU completed its investigation and published its FULL findings to the media, not only about the shooting but also about the way the desperately crazy shot man was beaten and restrained.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-28-2016 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 04:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,212,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A Vancouver British Columbia Policewoman had to shoot a man who was armed with a knife, at the scene of a car fire. He was rushing towards her and screaming at her .

The man who was carrying a large knife, had all ready wounded himself in the stomach, and then he tried to attack the female officer. She and other VPD officers had responded to a car fire in a parking lot. It is believed that he set his own car on fire.

A bystander captured this on a cell phone camera. At the point where the officer fired her hand gun, the attacker was less than 10 feet from her. She shot him in the leg, which resulted in him falling to the ground. He was placed under arrest, hand cuffed and treated by Vancouver EMS at the scene.

She made a split second choice to aim at his leg, not his chest.

The link to the news article, with photos.

Amateur photographer captures moment Vancouver police officer shot knife-wielding man | Vancouver Sun

The officer was not injured, but has been placed on leave for 5 days. The Provincial Special Investigation Unit ( a non Police investigation group ) will investigate this case, as they do in all cases where a person is wounded or killed by Police in British Columbia. The SIU will publish it's findings in 60 days to the media.

Jim B.
We need more Cops like her...At only 2 metres, it was a sensible thing to do..I am gueesing she aimed at the thigh and got the leg...

Last edited by shanv3; 05-28-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events