U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:16 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,385,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's either really bad training or she is a really bad shot.
Looks to me like she was aiming for his leg.

Lotta jealousy in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 05:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,414,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A Vancouver British Columbia Policewoman had to shoot a man who was armed with a knife, at the scene of a car fire. He was rushing towards her and screaming at her .

The man who was carrying a large knife, had all ready wounded himself in the stomach, and then he tried to attack the female officer. She and other VPD officers had responded to a car fire in a parking lot. It is believed that he set his own car on fire.

A bystander captured this on a cell phone camera. At the point where the officer fired her hand gun, the attacker was less than 10 feet from her. She shot him in the leg, which resulted in him falling to the ground. He was placed under arrest, hand cuffed and treated by Vancouver EMS at the scene.

She made a split second choice to aim at his leg, not his chest.

The link to the news article, with photos.

Amateur photographer captures moment Vancouver police officer shot knife-wielding man | Vancouver Sun

The officer was not injured, but has been placed on leave for 5 days. The Provincial Special Investigation Unit ( a non Police investigation group ) will investigate this case, as they do in all cases where a person is wounded or killed by Police in British Columbia. The SIU will publish it's findings in 60 days to the media.

Jim B.

If you are going to shoot, you shoot to kill. You are taught to shoot center mass, not legs or arms

Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,414,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Not me, I would shoot the knife out of his hand, twirl my gun around my finger and put it back in the holster. Then ride away before anyone has a chance to thank me.
Way too many movies for you. It doesn't work that way in real life

Old 05-28-2016, 05:45 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,796,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You are wrong, and if given the chance, will likely be dead wrong.

You don't aim unless you intend to shoot.

You don't shoot unless you intend to kill.

Defense 101.

All you wrote is pretty much redundant.

You shoot to stop the threat. Whether the target ends up dead or wounded, you don't stop firing until they are are no longer a threat. If you fire once and the target goes down, you don't walk up to them as they are laying helplessly and keep firing. Once they are no longer an immediate threat, you stop shooting.

That is consistent with every firearms course I've been too. If you shoot then you're prepared to kill but ultimately your ultimate goal is to stop the threat, whatever it might be.

Last edited by Juram; 05-28-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 05:50 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,796,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
We need more Cops like her...At only 2 metres, it was a sensible thing to do..I am gueesing she aimed at the thigh and got the leg...
If she was really aiming at his thigh, she is incompetent. The "sensible thing" can also lead to an innocent bystander getting shot because someone was trying to get cute instead of shooting to stop the threat in the safest and most efficient manner possible.

More likely I think she is just a bad shot.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:08 PM

16,782 posts, read 9,487,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
If she was really aiming at his thigh, she is incompetent. The "sensible thing" can also lead to an innocent bystander getting shot because someone was trying to get cute instead of shooting to stop the threat in the safest and most efficient manner possible.

More likely I think she is just a bad shot.
Or a very good one, unlike what you're used to perhaps?

The innocent bystander in this particular scenario were two empty cars and a wall behind the perp, unless you're counting the other female cop backing her up about ten feet behind and to her left.

Even that cop did not find it necessary to discharge her weapon at all. Strange with all that adrenaline surge going on these two both displayed amazing restraint from banging away until the slide stayed back as is typical of your so-called good cops.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 3,027,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Poor shooting skills tend to happen if you drink Molson.

She was probably aiming for center of mass, but ya know, didn't spend as much time at the range as she should have.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM

5,331 posts, read 4,012,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Not me, I would shoot the knife out of his hand, twirl my gun around my finger and put it back in the holster. Then ride away before anyone has a chance to thank me.
I would bank the round off a lamp post, so as not to injure his hand too much. Then ride off into the sunset. Yippee Kay aaaaaaaaaa........

Old 05-28-2016, 07:35 PM

5,331 posts, read 4,012,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Way too many movies for you. It doesn't work that way in real life
And not enough comedy movies for you...it was a joke dude...

Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,579,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If you are going to shoot, you shoot to kill. You are taught to shoot center mass, not legs or arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You are wrong, and if given the chance, will likely be dead wrong.

You don't aim unless you intend to shoot.

You don't shoot unless you intend to kill.

Defense 101.

No, no, and no !!!

Whomever taught you that class owes you money back.

Shooting with intent to kill is a murder.

Self-defense is shooting with intent to stop a threat.

It may result in your attacker getting killed - or not.

Once they're down, and no longer a viable threat to your life, it ends right there and then.

In the situation as described, with BC policewoman obviously pointing the gun down to shoot the perp in the leg, she was a far bigger threat to the people in the street than the guy with the knife. When bullets ricochet off concrete, there's no predicting in which direction they would fly. As far as I am concerned - and without trying to belittle what that brave woman did - it was a stupid decision that, luckily for everyone, played out well.

Compared to aiming at the center of the mass, vs shooting as she did at the thigh:

• She was far more likely to miss.
  • Her shot was much more likely to ricochet and kill an innocent bystander anywhere around her. (Not just in front of the gun).
  • She was almost as likely to kill the perp by hitting a major artery that runs through the thigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events