U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,479,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IN all honesty it depends where you shoot them & what drugs you shot them with.

Show me where wild animal's kill for the hell of it.
Wolves for one.... Proven repeatedly since they were reintroduced into the Rockies years ago.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,479,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
After seeing the video, I'm on the side of the zoo. I'm surprised the child wasn't killed.

I'm not on the side of the parents. They need to be charged with negligence.
But you KNOW the Zoo is going to be sued because the kid found a way in right?
PAYDAY!!!!

Old 05-30-2016, 11:04 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,479,933 times
Quote:
IN all honesty it depends where you shoot them & what drugs you shot them with.
In other words, a universal quick-acting tranquilizer dart does not exist. Just as I said.

Quote:
Ever seen what a fox or a weasel does if it gets inside a chicken coop? The predator may kill every chicken in the coop - far more than it can possible eat. I can also point you to some great footage of a wild stallion going out of its way to stomp a newborn foal to death, and some more footage of lions and hyenas deliberately attacking and killing each other without any immediate provocation, if you're interested. Ditto bottlenose dolphins, who sometimes deliberately kill harbor porpoises for no discernible reasons (as well as other dolphin species on rare occasions).

Animals don't kill for no reason - but neither do humans. And sometimes the reason can be a pretty lousy one (at least from our point of view).

Old 05-30-2016, 11:05 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think no one is to blame.

Anyone who has kids knows if you look away for a second, they can be into something. Yes, the mom maybe should have him in a stroller or on a leash, but she had other kids with her too. Yes, maybe she should have had more help to handle multiple kids. But she probably didn't think for a second that her kid was going to get into a gorilla enclosure. Hindsight is 20/20.

The zoo is not to blame for shooting the gorilla. The first responders said the gorilla was dragging and throwing the child. If that were YOUR child, you'd want the gorilla killed before the gorilla hurt or killed him. The zoo officials didn't want to kill the gorilla; they did it because the kid was in imminent danger.

Sometimes things just happen. Everyone is so quick to assign blame, but sometimes there is a series of events where if one thing had been different, the outcome would have been better, but it was not different and you can't do anything about it. IF the mother had had the kid in a stroller or on a leash, IF the kid hadn't managed to get into the enclosure, IF the gorilla hadn't dragged and thrown the CHILD, IF a tranquilizer could have worked instead of shooting the gorilla, etc.

Can you imagine the outrage if the zoo had done nothing and the gorilla killed the child?
Suppose it was for a split second that the mom took her eyes off her child (which I doubt, as it takes time for the kid to get down into the enclosure.) I'm a parent and I know that as hard as you may try, you do get distracted and can't stare at your kid every second. It's still my responsibility if in that second, my child is harmed or causes harm to someone else. Maybe the mother wasn't taking selfies or on her phone, but truly doing the best she could. Her best wasn't good enough if her four year old managed to get away from her, crawl through a barrier, and drop some 12 feet into a gorilla habitat before she noticed anything. Maybe the mother was a permissive idiot who was busy with her face in the phone, or maybe she was simply struggling with her multiple children and lost focus on one. The gorilla's death is still because of her negligence, intentional or not. She's just lucky it's not her child's death instead.

I think the zoo personnel did what they had to do to save the child's life, and they did the right thing. They waited 10 minutes before shooting the gorilla, and had they waited any longer he might have been gravely injured or killed. Shooting him was a last resort, but if they hadn't, I agree there would have been outrage at them allowing a child to be mauled while they watched instead of them shooting the gorilla. What's unfortunate is they were forced to even make a heartbreaking decision like that because of a parent's inability to control her child.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Just off the top of my head:

Orcas
Dolphins
Apes
Cats
Dogs

Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM

13,107 posts, read 17,646,574 times
I lost all respect for Jack Hanna when he stated that the law enforcement officers did the right thing in shooting those animals that were spotted when a man who owned a small wildlife place there in xenia I believe it was , and then allowed the media to show those pictures of all the dead animals on the news . I do believe that all of those animals could have been snared or captured versus being shot . I'm sorry but Jack Hanna is not an authority in any shape or form in my opinion or a person of good moral character . He of course sits on the board of the Columbus zoo .

Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times
For those interested- this article has some video and pictures from two other incidents where small children fell into gorilla enclosures-

In one case, a female gorilla carried the child to the service door entrance and then the rescuers removed the child, and in the other, a male gorilla sat near the child until he began crying and then ran away.

Gorillas have shown compassion for young children in zoo falls - NY Daily News

Old 05-30-2016, 11:17 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Maybe they could have used a taser gun, there are taser guns with long range and they work the same way on other mammals.
Tasers don't always work on humans, yet you think they would easily take down a hairy 400lb gorilla?

Old 05-30-2016, 11:22 AM

11,381 posts, read 6,790,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
For those interested- this article has some video and pictures from two other incidents where small children fell into gorilla enclosures-

In one case, a female gorilla carried the child to the service door entrance and then the rescuers removed the child, and in the other, a male gorilla sat near the child until he began crying and then ran away.

Gorillas have shown compassion for young children in zoo falls - NY Daily News
Maybe so, -but would you risk your own child's life speculating upon that possibility?

"Feel Good" stories don't always happen in real life.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:

My cat isn't even wild, and SHE kills for the hell of it if given a chance. If she gets outside, she will kill mice, rabbits, birds - anything she can. She doesn't eat them, she just kills them. If a domesticated cat does it, wild animals most certainly do it. It's instinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or