U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 11:25 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think they should have tranquilised the gorilla even though it would have taken time to take affect.

Jack Hanna was on CBS this morning and said that simply getting hit with a dart could've sent the gorilla into a rage that might encourage him to break the kid in half.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:25 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think no one is to blame.

Anyone who has kids knows if you look away for a second, they can be into something. Yes, the mom maybe should have him in a stroller or on a leash, but she had other kids with her too. Yes, maybe she should have had more help to handle multiple kids. But she probably didn't think for a second that her kid was going to get into a gorilla enclosure. Hindsight is 20/20.

The zoo is not to blame for shooting the gorilla. The first responders said the gorilla was dragging and throwing the child. If that were YOUR child, you'd want the gorilla killed before the gorilla hurt or killed him. The zoo officials didn't want to kill the gorilla; they did it because the kid was in imminent danger.

Sometimes things just happen. Everyone is so quick to assign blame, but sometimes there is a series of events where if one thing had been different, the outcome would have been better, but it was not different and you can't do anything about it. IF the mother had had the kid in a stroller or on a leash, IF the kid hadn't managed to get into the enclosure, IF the gorilla hadn't dragged and thrown the CHILD, IF a tranquilizer could have worked instead of shooting the gorilla, etc.

Can you imagine the outrage if the zoo had done nothing and the gorilla killed the child?
Exactly correct. It reminds me of something Lenore Skenazy, she of the "free range" parenting movement (which I strongly agree with), said in an interview once. I don't recall the exact words, but it was to this effect--years ago, if you'd been at a fairground like Six Flags etc and your child ran off and skinned their knee and such, people would be sympathetic and go "kids, got to love how they just run off when you tell them not to and look away for a second" and "poor thing [you the parent], I know you must've been so frightened." Now, by contrast, it's "why didn't you have a leash? Why didn't you put a GPS on them? Why did you bring them to such an environment when they're clearly not old enough?" She summed it up saying "before you got a lot of sympathy, now you get a lot of blame."

Exactly. People's expectations now are totally ridiculous.

And, another thing, what is with all of this griping about selfies and phones? Where does this bigotry come from? I'm tired of it. (Yes, to me, it is a flat-out form of bigotry just like saying women belong in the kitchen or African-Americans belong on the back of the bus.) Unless someone is driving and weaving all over the place, it is nobody's business if someone likes to take a lot of selfies or use their phone a lot. Who died and made these people the self-appointed phone and camera police? It makes me want to take MORE selfies and be on my phone even more just to spite these people. A person liking to be on their phone a lot or take a lot of photos of their food and such is nobody's business.

If, and I stress IF, this were a case of a parent not paying enough attention and not being vigilant enough, it doesn't matter if they were distracted from taking selfies or picking their boogers or getting too engrossed in a conversation with someone else with them or having their ears plugged from an MP3 player or reading National Enquirer in paper form. A distraction is a distraction is a distraction. Period. To make a special thing of it when it involves a phone or a camera is flat-out bigotry.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 AM

11,013 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly. People's expectations now are totally ridiculous.
Its ridiculous to expect parents to keep their child out of a wild animals living environment?! I would have though it was just common sense.

Quote:
And, another thing, what is with all of this griping about selfies and phones? Where does this bigotry come from? I'm tired of it. (Yes, to me, it is a flat-out form of bigotry just like saying women belong in the kitchen or African-Americans belong on the back of the bus.) Unless someone is driving and weaving all over the place, it is nobody's business if someone likes to take a lot of selfies or use their phone a lot. Who died and made these people the self-appointed phone and camera police? If, and I stress IF, this were a case of a parent not paying enough attention and not being vigilant enough, it doesn't matter if they were distracted from taking selfies or picking their boogers or getting too engrossed in a conversation with someone else with them. A distraction is a distraction is a distraction. Period. To make a thing of it when it involves a phone is a form of bigotry.
Ok. You can't possibly be real with these comparisons.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:37 AM

10,833 posts, read 11,564,997 times
I'm sure the thought of the multi-million dollar payout that would have resulted should the Gorilla have killed the boy was a major factor in the decision to shoot the him. We've got lawyers ready to make someone pay for others stupidity while an ignorant jury loves to award massive, unwarranted payouts in such bogus cases.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,633,030 times
I live where this happened. There are gates and walls, i dont understand how the child could have climbed through or over!

IMO: Parenting FAIL, not a zoo fail.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,039,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IN all honesty it depends where you shoot them & what drugs you shot them with.

Show me where wild animal's kill for the hell of it.

How does a Gorilla father treat his children? - Berggorilla & Regenwald Direkthilfe e.V.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:55 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,310,990 times
I think zoos and other public places should have mandatory rules for all toddlers not in constricted strollers to wear APPROPRIATE BODY HARNESSES ATTACHED TO ADULT GUARDIANS. This is to ensure the safety of both the kids and the animals.

This rule, more than even more railings and fences, will prevent such tragedies from happening in the future.

There is only one person at fault here and that is the adult guardian of this child. And the poor gorilla had to pay for her stupidity and incompetence.

The shameless family actually had the nerve to send a public statement of thanks to the zoo. They should have sent out an apology for their stupidity. Once again, it's interesting that the name and faces of the parents are not even shown in the media. Obviously there is a concerted effort to protect that info out of being PC.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,948,777 times
It's easier just to blow away the gorilla than pay the potential millions in legal action.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I think zoos and other public places should have mandatory rules for all toddlers not in constricted strollers to wear APPROPRIATE BODY HARNESSES ATTACHED TO ADULT GUARDIANS. This is to ensure the safety of both the kids and the animals.
My god.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:13 PM

12,107 posts, read 8,098,073 times
Infanticide, is primates isn't normal at all.
Infanticide in Primates

Might want to read up on something before you post it.

Back to the topic. The mom should of watched her son better even more so with him saying that he wants to play in the water, that should of given her a clue. At the same time places like the zoo should look at the walls,glass, etc. When it comes to people's safety not wait until after something like this happens.

Last edited by reed067; 05-30-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or