U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 05:32 PM

9,759 posts, read 5,435,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I heard the experts stating that tranquilizers could have angered this gorilla and harm the kid but why not try the tranquilizer shot and aim to kill IF the gorilla acts out.
You know, police snipers when they get the order to shoot someone holding a hostage may not immediately take the shot.

Why not?

Well, at least two reasons. They might not at a particular moment have the shot which will stop the target dead in his tracks. Alternately, the current shot available to them may be hazardous to the hostage such as having a high potential of having the target's head exploding into the hostage.

They don't shoot once the order is given unless they have that shot which they know will stop the target dead in the tracks and will only harm the target.

This seemingly belief by the public that an expert can put the perfect shot into the target under any circumstance is unreal. If in anything else, consider this......................

...........................................it is probably a lot easier to put that shot into someone or some animal who doesn't know they are about to be shot as oppose to one who has just been shot.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:41 PM

10,391 posts, read 14,230,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Having parented a 4 year old, I can PROMISE you that almost all children of that age understand parental directives well enough to obey them even if they don't understand why. Where I come from, you as the parent don't have to explain why, you only need these 4 words "because I said so." That's all.
>>>
He was supposed to respect that "no means no" and no matter how he felt, no matter his curiosity, DO AS YOU'RE TOLD. Period. When I was a child, if I'd tried anything remotely like that, no one would've lit into my mother for failing to watch me, they'd lit into me for not obeying my mother, and I mean they'd lit into me like a box of matches combined with a case of firecrackers. I'd had my clock cleaned verbally by every aunt, uncle, older cousin, grandparent and such within range, and rightly so, with every person there telling every other person what happened and making me feel about 1" high for what I'd done.
You had your clock cleaned for being disobedient, but you think a four year old should respect that no means no and never disobey, and if he does it's his own fault? Something you were apparently incapable of doing as a child? Yet other children should be capable of it, including your own daughter, and if they aren't they should suffer whatever consequences befall them? Including injury or death.... well okay then.
Children don't always do as they are told, including you from your own account. Parents don't get a free pass just because " I told little Johnny not to do that, but he just didn't listen to me". What a weak argument.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:03 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,860,730 times
Instead of blaming the parents and the zoo staff I'd place blame on the unsecured enclosure. They should have made sure nobody, not even a four-year-old child, could get into the exhibit. I would hold the owner of the zoo responsible for the death of the animal and the injuries to the child. You trust it's a safe place, but as we've seen many times most zoo's are not.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,262,657 times
The mother should be sued and have her children taken away by cps but she will not, in fact she will probably sue and and get millions herself for being a negligent parents at best. She will probably do the talk show circuit and get her 15 minutes of fame maybe she can get a reality show out of this she's probably hired someone to represent her already.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Instead of blaming the parents and the zoo staff I'd place blame on the unsecured enclosure. They should have made sure nobody, not even a four-year-old child, could get into the exhibit. I would hold the owner of the zoo responsible for the death of the animal and the injuries to the child. You trust it's a safe place, but as we've seen many times most zoo's are not.
Yes, heaven forbid a PARENT has to maintain control of their child.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:23 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,242,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I heard the experts stating that tranquilizers could have angered this gorilla and harm the kid but why not try the tranquilizer shot and aim to kill IF the gorilla acts out.
Why? Is SEAL Team 6 onsite?

This is a zoo staff dealing with this situation. Unless Jason Bourne now works at the Cincinnati Zoo then, no, they're not going to tranq a gorilla and then be in position to cut it down with a head-shot if it goes berzerk in response.

Quote:
Wasn't that an option in this case.
No. Because this was a real-life situation, not some ridiculous Hollywood film with unrealistic action sequences.

Repeat - real-life is not what you see on the big screen.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:33 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,345,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Soon, there will be no zoos. The lives of animals can't be protected from humans who threaten their habitat in the wild or in captivity. We are a selfish species.

So true ! We run the world, we're "large and in charge", we're the most important creation of all time, and nothing matters except our convenience, entertainment and safety....regardless of how lazy, greedy, selfish, self-indulgent or stupid we act.

If you lock a wild animal up in a cage, obviously an unnatural (I would say cruel in most cases) place for it to live, YOU are responsible for it's safety. This was an endangered animal I understand, but why is it endangered ? I don't know the specifics of this particular animal breed, but you can bet it's endangered due to one of the afore mentioned human actions......laziness, greediness, selfishness, being self-indulgent or flat out stupidity.

The animal always pays the ultimate price when humans are anywhere near them....regardless of who initiates the contact.

Yes, I'm glad the child is safe, but this situation should never have happened in the first place.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:34 PM

4,596 posts, read 3,582,408 times
Once again, it's the zoo's fault for an uncontrolled and unsupervised kid???? You want your freedom to spawn, and yet you want the whole society to take care of your child for you. Simply ridiculous.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 PM

15,637 posts, read 6,171,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well let me tell you these parents were probably like 90% of the parents I have seen at our local zoo they were on the cell phone more interested in the twitter feed or text they just got than their own kids . I'm sorry but these dip stick parents should have to foot the bill to replace the animal .If I were a cps officer I would be investigating the parents for neglect .I mean I know all of you posters on here have seen these same parents I am talking about , also in the department stores and the grocery stores letting their kids run around while the parents face is in the cell phone . I m sorry a animal had to loose its life because of some stupid parents . I went to an alligator farm a couple of times and saw kids crawling over the railing and such laughing and where was mom ?, on the cell phone of course talking to someone who obviously was so important they could not wait . Man up people watch your kids so the rest of the general public does not have too .
Do you know for sure that the parents were on devices?

One problem I have with these threads are self-righteous keyboard warriors who know everything about parenting, friendship, and driving. They have all the answers; until life gets in the way. Here are a few examples of threads rife with self-righteous criticism that defies reality:
  1. Advice on Upcoming Tense 40th High School Reunion;
  2. Ticket for Holding Phone While Driving;
  3. Did I Do Something Wrong on Shabbat?
  4. Is Being Bare-Chested in Public Around Children Wrong? (not all of them but Posts Nos. 5, 8 nd
  5. Ohio Zoo Kills Gorilla to Protect Small Child in Enclosure
I have a 20 year old and a child who is almost 19. They are both in college and I feel I have been, on balance, a pretty good parent. But even in the days before texting, did I ever get wrapped up in an conversation with another adult, say, at my son's soccer game? Or turn away for a moment while one or both of my sons were in the swimming pool? Of course I did.

Most of the time such momentary inattentiveness does not result in tragedy or near tragedy; until it does.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:38 PM

9,668 posts, read 4,910,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Why? Is SEAL Team 6 onsite?

This is a zoo staff dealing with this situation. Unless Jason Bourne now works at the Cincinnati Zoo then, no, they're not going to tranq a gorilla and then be in position to cut it down with a head-shot if it goes berzerk in response.
It amazes me that this even needs to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or