U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 AM

7,118 posts, read 2,898,151 times

Advertisements

Yes, blame the zoo. Seriously? The parents were clearly at fault. No blame the zoo. Let the parents collect money for their negligence. That's the American way!!
Now on the news the parents are thanking the Lord. These people are crazy to top it all off.
I do blame them. If the parents were watching their child this disaster would have never have happened. PARENTS ARE AT FAULT.....

Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,098,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
...Since gorillas (and many types of chimpanzee) can rip other animals apart with their bare hands and/or teeth, the gorilla's death was likely necessary.
I wonder why they don't have guns that would shoot a massive shot of tranquilizing or knockout medication.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 AM

2,839 posts, read 1,579,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Show me where.

Do wolves kill for sport?

Dogs are the only animal that definitely kills for sport, but that's only because humans TAUGHT them to do so. When a farmer finds a few dead chickens killed during the daylight hours with no missing body parts, the neighbor's dog is almost always the culprit.

Just because you see an animal kill another one doesn't mean they are doing it for no reason. As humans we don't know everything we assume but don't know.

That's complete BS. Wild cats are well known and documented to kill for sport. So do weasels. Foxes. Wolves can sometimes slaughter all the sheep in the pen and leave without eating them and without being disturbed by the farmer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surplus_killing

Stop spewing nonsense, please.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:09 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,785,951 times
Both are responsible of that mess (zoo authorities and dumb parents), howver in my opinion the zoo is up first since after all the gorilla was its property and the final responsibility lies with zoos for the welfare of the animals that are entrusted to them. That zoo was completely unprofessional and should be boycotted by the public right now!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:11 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,117,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
That's complete BS. Wild cats are well known and documented to kill for sport. So do weasels. Foxes. Wolves can sometimes slaughter all the sheep in the pen and leave without eating them and without being disturbed by the farmer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surplus_killing

Stop spewing nonsense, please.

READ the article above...don't skim though it. The article addresses that.

Stop using sites that can be edited by just anyone.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:11 AM

13,122 posts, read 17,669,146 times
okay for those of you that are blaming the zoo . For your info this woman runs a daycare and her husband has a criminal background . Now how is that for your parents not at fault ? . also a woman has come forward to the zoo stating that she heard the lil boy telling his mama I want to go down there and swim with the gorillas . She also has a picture on her cell phone of the mom looking at her cell instead of her child . She has already given all that to the zoo . This woman had better think twice about suing the zoo because she will be asking for trouble because you can bet that zoos lawyers will have the state and the city up her wazoo so tight they will know what she had for dinner . I'm not kidding .

Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 AM

2,166 posts, read 2,143,896 times
As a parent, the parents are the only ones to blame in this situation. The Gorilla was just being a Gorilla. The Zoo, from what I heard exceeded the safety requirements the code calls for too. The parents should be watching their children. Im not talking about helicopter parenting but you need to keep your eyes on your kids at all times in this sort of environment. Because of bad parenting the Gorilla is now dead.

Its really no different than taking your eyes of your kid and he wanders onto the highway and gets hit by a car. Its not the drivers fault, its the parents fault for not being a parent.

People need to take responsibility. The only ones to blame in this situation are the parents.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:38 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,274,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Because humans are recognized as being unique and having rights through social convention while other forms of life are not. I doubt its really any deeper than that.

However, that's not the point. The point is that there is huge consensus among humans to that effect.

If someone wants to believe that animals are equal and should enjoy certain rights they are completely entitled to that belief. What they are not entitled to do is act upon it. For example, the minute a zoo keeper decides "I'm not going to kill that gorilla to save a child because I like gorillas more than I do people" than I will do everything in my power to remove that zoo keeper from his position.

Some concepts in our society are simply based on convention and everyone is free to challenge those conventions. When they choose to act though in a manner that disregards those conventions they are going to have a big problem.

You may not like that answer, but that's about as deep as it gets.
You're correct that humans have "rights" through both social convention and of course legally too. With all rights come responsibilities commensurate with those rights. We as humans of course are the ones who come up with the "social convention" that we have rights over all else. We pass the laws, and discussed our extreme importance with other humans and decided, by vote, and social convention, that we do, and that all other forms of life aren't quite so lucky...but then again, they weren't able to speak for themselves.....so I guess we decided since they weren't all that all that intelligent or important since they couldn't speak our language, or communicate with us verbally.

To address a couple of your points. Keep in mind, in some of these cases I'm playing devils advocate, but these are things we should think about. We need to know why, we feel the way we do, and not just blunder on secure in our belief that we humans are more important than anything else on this planet. If all animal life disappeared from this planet in a flash, except us humans, how would we fare ? Compare that to if all humans disappeared from this planet in a flash, how would all animal life fare ? Interesting....think about it and let me know. Perhaps we rely on animals to make this planet a habitable place for humans after all.....perhaps they are more important to us than we are to them.

You mention that there is a huge consensus among humans that we humans have elevated rights through social convention, and that animals don't enjoy these rights. Are you saying all humans have equal rights under this social pact we have with each other, or are some more important than others ? If two children were in equal danger in some situation, and one was yours, and one unknown to you, which one would you rescue first ? Both are human and important....so which families social convention of importance are you going to honor....yours or the other families ?

Perhaps your child is more important to you than the other one ? Do you think if animals were making the rules of "social convention", perhaps they would decide human importance a bit differently than we humans do ?

I understand that we humans are in charge of planet Earth.....for good or bad, it's the reality. Looking at how humans treat each other, I'm not all that impressed with our supposed intelligence. We've cumulatively killed many millions of people over the millennia fighting for control of each other, to take others money or resources, or just for flat out revenge at times. If you were a dispassionate observer watching over planet Earth, wouldn't you be shaking your head at the stupidity and savagery of those we so eagerly grant elevated legal and socially conventional rights to ? In many ways animals are perhaps more civilized that we are. If they do kill another animal it's to eat. If they kill a human it's because they felt their safety was threatened.....gee, us humans do that too right ?

We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the importance and inherent "rights" other, non-human beings should enjoy as fellow inhabitants of our planet. Since we're in charge, as we so frequently remind ourselves, have this responsibility whether we accept and acknowledge it or not.

Lest anyone wonder, if it were my child that had fallen into the gorilla enclosure, I'd want my child rescued safely too....even if the gorilla had to be shot. That being said, I cannot be "knee jerk" dismissive about the fact that the gorilla who was minding his/her own business and did nothing wrong paid the ultimate sacrifice for a human blunder. I guess I'm just more willing than some posters to question how my place in the hierarchy affects (positive or negative) all other things for good or bad and what I could do to make things better for all involved.

Last edited by jasper1372; 05-31-2016 at 06:15 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 05:58 AM

8,891 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I wonder why they don't have guns that would shoot a massive shot of tranquilizing or knockout medication.
Because instant knockout medicine doesn't exist. It takes time for drugs to take effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranquillizer_gun

Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 AM

545 posts, read 434,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Positively creepy. You really elevate animals over people?

7.3 billion humans and growing
106,000 Gorillas of all types (wild and in zoos) and declining

What species is in endangered!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or