U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 AM

1,506 posts, read 923,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The gorilla cage was not well secured by the zoo, consequence : one gorilla (an endangered species dead). In my opinion , the zoo is at fault before that family. The zoo should have anticipated that kind of behaviour, unfortunately more and more common amongh the undereducated.
I would need to see the enclosure before I could say. While people going to a zoo (controlled environment) have a reasonable expectation that dangerous animals are not normally accessible by three year olds, a zoo, theme park etc cannot reasonably be expected to absolutely, positvely guarantee that no three year old could ever do "X".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Just stupid IMHO.

There are dangers everywhere, do we need fence, bushes and netting to separate us from every potential danger? Along the roads? Along boat docks? At the edge of the ocean? Where I live, two teens had their arm bitten off by sharks last summer. Who are you going to blame? The ONLY reason lawyers are trying to blame the zoo is because our society allows them to. The sole purpose to try and get some of the zoos money in their pockets.
No, different places have different expectations of safety. The reasonable expectation of safety at a zoo is pretty high. In contrast, the reasonable level expectation of a controlled / safe environment back packing through Alaskan grizzly territory is non existent.

It is the same for employment. While some social darwinists would like to make every form of employment "at the worker's risk", food service employees have a reasonable expectation that the commerical cooking equipment is not going to electocute them. In contrast, the reasonable expectation of a safe environment doing Back Water security contracting in Iraq is probably non existent.

Last edited by Cryptic; 05-31-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 AM

531 posts, read 233,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I think I've seen the depths of how morally bankrupt we've become as people and then I read something as cruel and heartless as this and have to move the gauge down several more notches. I certainly hope you are never put in the care of children.
Wow, you hope Im never put in the care of children? No kids have had their lives put in danger on my watch, those parents however, had their child fall into a gorilla exhibit. Seems like the anger should be on them to me.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,216,625 times
Do you notice that when furry pets or exotic animals get hurt or die, the Internet goes berserk. Death and rape threats are issued. When people die (especially the starving kids with potbellies in Africa), no one notices.

Mick

Old 05-31-2016, 11:24 AM

13,135 posts, read 17,679,712 times
It has also been stated that this woman has had her kids removed twice before by cps . Dad has been in jail and has a criminal record . Has not been in jail just once oh no , several times and yet this daycare thought she would be a good choice to work around kids . Yeah she said she had several kids with her that day ? well guess what she would never have the chance again with my kid or grandkid . I hope the prosecutor does indict her for negligence and she deserves every bit of it . I can only imagine that the daycare is getting several calls parents wanting to remove their children .

Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 AM

1,506 posts, read 923,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
OK .. you take your children into an enclave of wild animals. Think about that statement. How bright it that to begin with. Putting wild animals in cages is a whole separate issue. Laws = society. Laws are written by people. Stupid people make stupid laws even when they think they are smart. Criminals have rights even though they are criminals. We blame anything bad that happens to us on somebody else. We are not responsible for our own actions because it always somebody else's fault. The biggest issue is common sense is not very common any more.
Somalia, Afghanistan and Zaire have created societies where social darwinism is applied on a daily basis in a dazzling variety of ways. Nobody, however, seems to want to live in these societies.

Maybe there is a middle way between "nanny state" and "Darwin society"? In the case in question, yes, the zoo must take reasonable precautions to keep people safe as it presents itself as controlled environment (a zoo). No, the state of Alaska does not have to make any guarantees about back country back packing trips.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 AM

20,697 posts, read 15,469,075 times
As if there wasn't enough blame to go around, now we have this:

Black Outrage Over Gorilla Shot To Protect 'White Privilege'

Click on the dates under those tweets...those are indeed actual tweets.

And humans are superior huh?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM

31 posts, read 24,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It has also been stated that this woman has had her kids removed twice before by cps . Dad has been in jail and has a criminal record . Has not been in jail just once oh no , several times and yet this daycare thought she would be a good choice to work around kids . Yeah she said she had several kids with her that day ? well guess what she would never have the chance again with my kid or grandkid . I hope the prosecutor does indict her for negligence and she deserves every bit of it . I can only imagine that the daycare is getting several calls parents wanting to remove their children .
This is clearly a lie. She would not be able to manage a daycare if any CPS investigation resulted in a determination that she needed so much as a day in parenting class. She would not be certified to do so!

Old 05-31-2016, 12:07 PM

13,022 posts, read 12,474,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Somalia, Afghanistan and Zaire have created societies where social darwinism is applied on a daily basis in a dazzling variety of ways. Nobody, however, seems to want to live in these societies.

Maybe there is a middle way between "nanny state" and "Darwin society"? In the case in question, yes, the zoo must take reasonable precautions to keep people safe as it presents itself as controlled environment (a zoo). No, the state of Alaska does not have to make any guarantees about back country back packing trips.
Some plexiglass along the bottom half of the barrier would have solved the problem without detracting from the experience. You have to assume there will be inattentive parents when designing these enclosures. I'm pissed as hell - the parents are irrelevant losers from what I can tell. But the zoo had a responsibility to its endangered species, and they failed there. An amazing gorilla is dead because the folks designing the enclosure had no idea what a small child is capable of and didn't spring for a plexiglass barrier. Seems like a no-brainer.

So sad.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:22 PM

177 posts, read 233,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
They didn't have to kill the Gorilla they could of tranquilized him there are darts that would of put him just as quickly as a bullet would of. IF the Gorilla wanted to hurt the boy he would of done so within seconds of getting close to the child. Animals don't kill for the hell of it they kill to survive the Gorilla knew the little boy wasn't a threat.
The Gorilla doesnt have to want to kill the boy. Just playing with him or squeezing him could have killed him since Gorillas are such powerful creatures. He wouldn't have known any better.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 2,893,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
The Gorilla doesnt have to want to kill the boy. Just playing with him or squeezing him could have killed him since Gorillas are such powerful creatures. He wouldn't have known any better.
Correct & considering he is a small child just dragging him the way he did could possibly break his arm &/or cause permanent damage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or