Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Looks like the Gorilla dragged the kid through the water as if to quickly get the kid to safety. Then the animal stood the kid up looked him in the face and held his hand. There was no sign of that the animal was about to kill the child. BUT the American way is to shoot first and ask questions later. Why was there not one brave and intuitive person who was on staff to go down into the pit and get the kid?
Yes, he was dragging the boy through the water. Zoo officials said he was dragging the boy none too gently and this kid was hitting his head on the concrete floor while being dragged so violently.

This was a valuable gorilla not just monetarily but invaluable as far as conservation goes. The zoo didn't want to shoot him. If they had another option that wouldn't have put the kid in more harm they would have chosen that.

The zoo director was on CNN yesterday and he was the one who said they had no other choice but to shoot the gorilla and they were heartbroken over having to make that decision.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:17 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It has also been stated that this woman has had her kids removed twice before by cps . Dad has been in jail and has a criminal record . Has not been in jail just once oh no , several times and yet this daycare thought she would be a good choice to work around kids . Yeah she said she had several kids with her that day ? well guess what she would never have the chance again with my kid or grandkid . I hope the prosecutor does indict her for negligence and she deserves every bit of it . I can only imagine that the daycare is getting several calls parents wanting to remove their children .
Do you have a source? I don't see anything even releasing the name of the mother. I think this is just another Internet lie.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:23 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
It's interesting People are more upset over this gorilla dying than tamir rice(a child) being murdered the police

Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It's interesting People are more upset over this gorilla dying than tamir rice(a child) being murdered the police

It's also interesting that for some reason people always seem to change subjects to push their agenda on something totally different.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
It's also interesting that for some reason people always seem to change subjects to push their agenda on something totally different.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:28 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Why is everyone going ape**** over this ape?
Ok - I'll play. Because this was a beautiful, magnificent specimen of a endangered species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It has also been stated that this woman has had her kids removed twice before by cps . Dad has been in jail and has a criminal record . Has not been in jail just once oh no , several times and yet this daycare thought she would be a good choice to work around kids . Yeah she said she had several kids with her that day ? well guess what she would never have the chance again with my kid or grandkid . I hope the prosecutor does indict her for negligence and she deserves every bit of it . I can only imagine that the daycare is getting several calls parents wanting to remove their children .
Where are you getting this from? I can't find any information on this.

Are you making it up? Clearly she isn't "Mother of the Year", but there is nothing online to support this.

And there is no information online that I can find to back up this claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Do you have a source? I don't see anything even releasing the name of the mother. I think this is just another Internet lie.
Here ya' go - from the NYT, yet. Not hard to find:
Quote:
“She had three other kids that she was with. She had a baby in her arms.

Gorilla Killed After Child Enters Enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo - NYTimes.com
So, she's at the zoo with a baby, toddler, and two other kids - total of FOUR kids? Small kids should have been in strollers or on leashes - especially Isaiah who is reported to be autistic.

Re: the parents - Michelle Gregg and Deonne Dickerson:
Quote:
Here's an article about the wonderful (sarcasm) parents. The father has a lengthy criminal past including burglary, firearms offences, drug trafficking, criminal trespass, disorderly conduct and kidnapping!

The parents-of-four whose son fell into zoo enclosure sparking controversial killing of Harambe the gorilla as it emerges father has a lengthy criminal history | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-31-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
OK .. you take your children into an enclave of wild animals. Think about that statement. How bright it that to begin with.

Ha ha. I'm a grown man. The idea of going to the zoo wore off and lost it's luster to me decades ago. I take my kids because they love it and I enjoy it vicariously through them. I imagine a lot of zoos would go out of business if kids suddenly stopped having the desire to go.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM

76 posts, read 68,169 times
I think it's pretty simple: if we don't want accidents and death (human or animal) to keep occurring in these situations, we should not continue to keep wild animals in confinement for our amusement. It's 100% wrong and this is just one example of why.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Ok - I'll play. Because this was a beautiful, magnificent specimen of a endangered species.

Here ya' go - from the NYT, yet. Not hard to find:
So, she's at the zoo with a baby, toddler, and two other kids - total of FOUR kids? Small kids should have been in strollers or on leashes - especially Isaiah who is reported to be autistic.

Re: the parents - Michelle Gregg and Deonne Dickerson:

Thanks for the link, but I responding to the claim that the mother had CPS called on her twice and was running a daycare. Which is what I questioned in my post. Neither article mentions that.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha ha. I'm a grown man. The idea of going to the zoo wore off and lost it's luster to me decades ago. I take my kids because they love it and I enjoy it vicariously through them. I imagine a lot of zoos would go out of business if kids suddenly stopped having the desire to go.
Exactly; it's more of a thing to do with the kids than anything. I don't find much joy in seeing live, man-crushing animals live in front of me anymore, but I sure did as a kid, as do my kids now. Were kids not allowed in zoos, theme parks, fairs, I'd probably never go to any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events