U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 PM

9,586 posts, read 13,439,367 times

Advertisements

Ok, the outrage was there long before the parents identities were released, not sure how racism can play into it when posters had no clue as to race to begin with.
Also amazed at people who think zoos are only about entertainment or education. Many zoos are very much about conservation (no, nothing to do with keeping animals safe from poaching) and breeding. Hopefully so that one day these endangered animals will be plentiful enough to reintroduce them to the wild. Without these programs a lot of animals would be facing certain extinction. Zoos make money by putting animals on display, money that goes towards those programs. It's a catch 22 for sure but I don't think there are many viable alternatives if we really want to save these animals.

-oh and the argument that a tranquilizer might cause the gorilla to fall on the child....like a bullet wouldn't do the same?
I don't fault the zoo for doing what was necessary, but that is not a logical reason for shooting in and of itself.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:22 AM

752 posts, read 542,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
On the one hand people criticize parents for using leashes on their children in crowded public settings
People should end leash prejudice.

Leashes are great when you're gonna be around crowds or near potential dangers (like busy streets, bodies of water, wild animal cages...) . I highly recommend them, especially for the wilder kids that like to run off and get into trouble. They would make great baby shower presents.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:59 AM

19,499 posts, read 13,151,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya especially seeing she might not have hurt the baby!!!

It was a very tough call. The gorilla was a male, not a female, and all gorillas are extremely powerful. The longer the situation went on, the more excited and unpredictable the animal would have become, and he could have easily killed they child byt simply trowing it down to get out of there. Or broken an arm clear off dragging the child around, or any number of lethal, but unintentionally harmful, actions.

The little kid could have been torn apart by 2 gorillas fighting over him if the male had carried him into the compound's interior. The situation was extremely dangerous, not matter what, and tranquilzers would have taken too long to work. Once hit with a dart, the little child could have been dismembered in seconds if the gorilla was angered by the dart shot.

The worst part of it all was the gorilla is one of the really rare ones that are very protected. At 17, he was approaching breeding age, and there were high hopes he would take over the job for other aging males in zoos all over the world. The hope is if zoos can breed enough of them, a return to the wild could become possible at a time when the wild numbers are still high enough to begin recovery.

So. In a few seconds, a choice must be made between saving a human or saving a very rare animal at the possible cost of a human life. If I was there and had a say in it, I would have saved the human too. And mourned the loss of the animal afterward.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,875,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Here's an article about the wonderful (sarcasm) parents. The father has a lengthy criminal past including burglary, firearms offences, drug trafficking, criminal trespass, disorderly conduct and kidnapping!

Parents of boy who fell into Harambe the gorilla's Cincinnati Zoo enclosure pictured | Daily Mail Online
What does this have to do with anything?

Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 AM

11,178 posts, read 6,673,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
oh and the argument that a tranquilizer might cause the gorilla to fall on the child....like a bullet wouldn't do the same?
I don't fault the zoo for doing what was necessary, but that is not a logical reason for shooting in and of itself.
Yeah, I don't understand that argument either. People seem to think a tranquilizer would be just as quick as a gun, so how come the gorilla would fall correctly with one and not the other?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:11 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,272,751 times
I wonder how many feel bad for the cow,chicken,pig,turkey,fish or lamb that was probably stabbed or shot that is on their dinner or breakfast plate.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:47 AM

4,558 posts, read 1,971,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I wonder how many feel bad for the cow,chicken,pig,turkey,fish or lamb that was probably stabbed or shot that is on their dinner or breakfast plate.
It depends. Does a cow, chicken, pig, turkey, fish, or lamb have the strength of 10 adult men and do their species have a history of tearing apart their young in the blink of an eye?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:33 AM

12,977 posts, read 21,091,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Just logged back in. The thread is a couple dozen pages longer now. Here's one, on the first page I looked at. From Senior member pennyone. Post #430:

And you don't have to look long to find more. I find the whole thing smacks of racism. Mother mentioned as running a day care center. Father mentioned as a criminal. Why? He wasn't even at the zoo! If the parents were white and the father an executive at Procter & Gamble or a professor at the University of Cincinnati would there be this outrage?

This society has gone off the rails.
Amen, Brother Marks.

(to your other posts in this thread as well).

Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 AM

12,977 posts, read 21,091,046 times
KING: Racism has found its way into the Cincinnati Zoo saga - NY Daily News

Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 AM

4,265 posts, read 3,343,541 times
While I agree that the father's history is irrelevant if he was not there, I am still shocked that the attention isn't paid to the mother's gross negligence. The fact that the media only hyped on the decision of the zoo, and kept the mother's name and face unidentified is a clear attempt by the media to stay PC. Of course, as the storm brewed, nothing can be kept underlid for long.

I could care less what the race or ethnicity of the family is. The mother is negligent and she directly caused the death of the gorilla. For that, she needs to pay. If the father is found to also be at the scene, then he needs to be responsible too. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or