U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2016, 02:04 PM
 
11,079 posts, read 6,590,014 times
Reputation: 20054

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's obvious for that most posters, the point of this thread is to trumpet their own wonderful parental talents (by railing to no end against the parents of this child, who judging by the comments are among the worst in history).

Their child feel into the gorilla enclosure, something that no other child has done at this zoo. And I'm going to guess that none of the posters here have put a child that was in their care in such a dangerous situation. So yes, they do deserve the comments they are getting. It is not the zoo's fault that the child was put in danger, but the parents. They may not be the worst parents in history, but they're not going to be writing any bestselling parenting books anytime soon.

 
Old 05-29-2016, 03:03 PM
 
15,009 posts, read 8,562,829 times
Reputation: 24996
I wonder what the odds are that the parents will hit the zoo with a lawsuit.
 
Old 05-29-2016, 03:34 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,761,094 times
Reputation: 36712
The older I get, the more I think zoos are inhumane.
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Austin
11,047 posts, read 6,224,887 times
Reputation: 11935
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
The older I get, the more I think zoos are inhumane.
I disagree. Zoos perform a necessary education, especially for children. I was a volunteer docent for the Central Park Zoo for many years and saw the wonder in children's eyes when seeing our animals. Learning about our creatures, their contributions to our planet, our need to conserve their habitat was part of my talk to our visitors. Seeing these beautiful animals made their importance real for some children and may make them think later in life about the importance of conservation of our planet's endangered species and our wildlife. Breeding programs in zoos also keep endangered species alive.

Events like this one at the Cincinnati Zoo break my heart. Like all good things, it only takes a few people to spoil good things, seriously important things for the rest of us and animals.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-29-2016 at 05:13 PM..
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:07 PM
 
11,079 posts, read 6,590,014 times
Reputation: 20054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I wonder what the odds are that the parents will hit the zoo with a lawsuit.
Of course they will. They won't care that it was because of their own carelessness. And unfortunately they'll probably get a very nice paycheck out of it.
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
8,626 posts, read 16,258,735 times
Reputation: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Exactly.

Unfortunately, in today's world, we are more outraged at killing the gorilla then protecting the child. Ugh.
The video i saw never looked like the kid was being hurt. I'm glad the child is okay but these idiot parents are 100% responsible for the death of an endangered species. They should have been paying more attention to what their kid was doing and had better control of him. Stupid people.
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:19 PM
 
4,249 posts, read 3,318,159 times
Reputation: 7121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How did the 3 year old become unattended enough to fall into the moat???

Ohio Zoo Kills Gorilla to Protect Small Child in Enclosure - ABC News
So, given that this child had to get over the guard railing, go under many wire fences and then fall down the ledge, how did he get so far without any adult supervision? Where were his parents/guardians? An endangered animal had to pay with his life for the negligence of the parents. How is this right?

It's also interesting that my newscast here in Boston did not even mention the name of the parents or even show their faces. Why? trying to prevent any sort of negative coverage? This is just sickening.

There should be justice for this silverback guerilla.
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,654 posts, read 15,452,059 times
Reputation: 24205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
There have been stupid humans forever...

No doubt these parents are at fault but at the end of the day the child's life comes first...NOT the gorilla's.


Not to mention countless sharks, bears, wolves, wild cats, gators, etc.

Human beings are stupid. We destroy more animals than any animal destroys us. Everyone runs around whining about the dangerous animals never realizing HUMANS are the most dangerous animal on this planet. We destroy with our stupidity.

The only reason people say, "child first" is because arrogant humans don't give a flying F about anything but themselves. If something else gets destroyed by their stupidity, they don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's obvious for that most posters, the point of this thread is to trumpet their own wonderful parental talents (by railing to no end against the parents of this child, who judging by the comments are among the worst in history).
No, the point of the thread is that at no time should you ever not know wtf your kid is located. You take your kid to a zoo and turn your back on him? "For a second"...yeah, it's always "for a second" or "it was only a minute". B! S!

I've worked around wild animals. I've seen just how idiotic parents are. Their kids are off running around like out of control savages chasing after animals they have no business chasing after, and their parents are NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. They aren't just "on their phones" or "taking photos" or "turned their back for a second to tend to another kid", they are COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF WHERE THEIR KID IS AND WHAT THEIR KID IS DOING! I've seen it. I saw it, daily! DAILY! We worked around alligators, and these idiotic parents had NO CLUE where their kid was with alligators all around.

It isn't about tooting horns, it's about shaming the crap out of parents who suck at parenting and blame their suckage on everyone else. Another animal died because these parents SUCKED! There is no excuse on the earth for why that kid fell in to a gorilla cage. NONE. Zip. Zero. Nada. The fact that anyone would even try to make excuses for it makes me want to puke. The only people that anyone should be upset at are the useless parents in this situation, not anyone else who has an opinion about how crappy the parents were/are.

If you can't keep an eye on your kid at the zoo, either don't take them to the zoo, or put that child up for adoption so that he/she can be with parents who have a damn clue how to raise kids. Teach your kid how to behave when out in public, watch your kid not everything else - the trip isn't for you if you bring your kid along - the zoo is not a daycare, stop treating zoos, aquariums, and National parks as daycares for your kids...you are STILL responsible for your own fricken kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
To all you "Save the Gorilla" nut jobs.

You wanna see the gorilla really dragging the boy... something the news media is purposely not showing us because it wants sympathy for the f-ing animal rather than the parents and the boy?!
Here you go. Enjoy yourselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJmz5jRlcGk
Argue this!
Already did. That's nothing to the number of animals we inhumanely slaughter every single year because we went in to their territory and got attacked. Duh, what do you think is going to happen if you walk in to a lion's den? Humans are ignorant, arrogant, and selfish. Argue that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't care what you call it. The fact that my "opinion" is supported by the people that make the laws, control the money and have all the authority makes what you think irrelevant.
Are you the type that says, "I got all these Facebook 'likes' so that means I'm more right"? Because that is exactly what your statement sounded like. The poster's opinion is absolutely relevant, who cares if you don't like it.

Last edited by mjlo; 05-29-2016 at 07:27 PM..
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM
 
4,249 posts, read 3,318,159 times
Reputation: 7121
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The video i saw never looked like the kid was being hurt. I'm glad the child is okay but these idiot parents are 100% responsible for the death of an endangered species. They should have been paying more attention to what their kid was doing and had better control of him. Stupid people.
Maybe they were busy breeding more kids and forgot about the ones they already have.
 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
7,178 posts, read 8,772,131 times
Reputation: 6956
Just saw this story on the evening news, another innocent animal murdered because of human stupidity! One I can't believe that a tranquilizer wasn't an option and two how about we start putting bars around these exhibit's to keep the humans out of the animals exhibit it's obvious that these Darwin Award recipients are not capable of policing themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top