Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't know about you but I wouldn't wear a dress shirt and slacks, let alone suit on a plane. It's uncomfortable enough just wearing day clothes and also taking off sneakers to go through scanners (though I believe some now allow you to not.) I'm so glad that I am not of the 1960's or so when that was the norm.
That said, I believe that these shorts were almost underwear short so I can understand the complaint. It looked like boy shorts or "trunk" boxers rather than the hot pants like they are supposed to be. At least she should have had pantyhose or leggings underneath.
This.
As I said in an earlier post, I wear shorts and a polo or t-shirt. No way am I going on with slacks, dress shoes, button-up and jacket. It's going to be hell going through security, and then extremely uncomfortable sitting in a plane for hours.
As for the taking shoes off part, apparently if they have the bomb-sniffing dog, you don't have to. Same with taking laptops out of cases/bags. At least that's what the security agent told me when I flew out a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I usually get to the airport about an hour before boarding the plane, so I'm not spending hours in the airport. But even if I was, what does that have to do with how you dress? When I go to the theatre, I'm usually there for at least 3 hours. I don't know who I am going to be sitting next to. I might be sitting next to an obnoxious kid who is too young to be there or a man that is spilling out of his seat. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up on my appearance and start going in my underwear and a gaudy sweatshirt.

The same with flying. I would rather not look like some hobo who just walked in off the streets, or like I'm to lazy to dress myself once I got out of bed. Dressing nice doesn't mean you are uncomfortable. If I'm flying in the summer, I'll wear a cotton maxi skirt, tank top, and sandals.

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/5/optimized/1914185_fpx.tif?$filterlrg$&wid=370
No one is saying look like a hobo. Just don't make it a point to wear out your best clothes, or "dress up."

Also, there is NO WAY you'd catch your flight if you arrived at this airport an hour prior. Not sure how St-Louis is, but in Orlando, give yourself two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
As I said in an earlier post, I wear shorts and a polo or t-shirt. No way am I going on with slacks, dress shoes, button-up and jacket. It's going to be hell going through security, and then extremely uncomfortable sitting in a plane for hours.
As for the taking shoes off part, apparently if they have the bomb-sniffing dog, you don't have to. Same with taking laptops out of cases/bags. At least that's what the security agent told me when I flew out a few weeks ago.
I thought with the newer scanners that have been slowly rolling out you could. I only used then once so I forget to be honest.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:10 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Did it ever stop being a thing?
I don't know any young women who wear them so I think they stopped being a 'thing' a good while ago. At work about the only time I see women buy them is older women who want to wear them to church or to funerals.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 AM

123 posts, read 144,273 times
I'd like to see some of the recent top stories combined. Can we have this lady wear that same outfit and a Chewbacca mask from Kohl's and jump into her local zoo's gorilla habitat?

Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Ok, so think. Looking at my post, isn't it obvious what I meant? When I hear the word dressing up, it means formal. I mean... duh. My post was very clear.
No one is saying to wear formal wear on an airplane. Most people were saying that people used to dress up more, meaning they dressed better. That a is a middle ground between wearing your pajamas and wearing a ball gown.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
No one is saying look like a hobo. Just don't make it a point to wear out your best clothes, or "dress up."
No, but saying that the shorts are fine as long as someone's butt checks aren't showing isn't much better. Its just sad that the new standard for what is considered acceptable means not showing any T&A.

Quote:
Also, there is NO WAY you'd catch your flight if you arrived at this airport an hour prior. Not sure how St-Louis is, but in Orlando, give yourself two.
I don't know what to tell you. I've never had a problem, even in Orlando. I just don't see the point in sitting at the gate for an hour before boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
SundayDrive, I'm curious as to why you didn't question mkpunk post, as theysaid the same thing regarding dressing up.
I guess I didn't notice.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
No one is saying to wear formal wear on an airplane. Most people were saying that people used to dress up more, meaning they dressed better. That a is a middle ground between wearing your pajamas and wearing a ball gown.
Sure there is. Which is what we were saying to you. See the post below (directed at you, so there is no confusion).

Quote:
This.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,983 times
Quote:
Is that what passes as acceptable clothing these days? As long as your butt cheeks aren't hanging out...

Yes, pretty much. What business is it of yours what someone else is wearing?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:26 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pantyhose? Are they making a comeback or something?

I didn't even know they still made pantyhose. The only time I see people wearing them are when they are part of a costume.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I didn't even know they still made pantyhose. The only time I see people wearing them are when they are part of a costume.
remember l'eggs? a couple days ago i was writing a grocery list and i accidentally wrote l'eggos instead of just writing waffles or eggos. i guess i was thinking l'eggo my eggo from the commercial. but then i started thinking about those l'eggs eggs and how funny it was that those pantyhouse came in big plastic white eggs.

i have no purpose for this post. i just had to share with someone.

Last edited by beachie123; 06-01-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events