U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times

Advertisements

Meh...not sure what his point was, but pennies are money. I have respect for money.

It got the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 09:07 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So, this man is making a clerk count 20,000+ cents (not pennies, cents - the federal government has never minted pennies - 1/100th of a dollar is a cent) in order to protest a city law enacted by local elected government (not by the clerk) and carried out by local law enforcement (not by the clerk).

Does anyone think the local government or police department care one iota that a clerk has to spend a few hours counting coins?

This idiot's grasp of basic logic is on par with his ability to follow the speed limit.
Yep, some people have absolutely no grasp of logic. But I bet he thought it was a brilliant idea.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 PM

8,308 posts, read 8,583,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
30 mph usually means residential and I think the fines should be really high.

Pennies are money. Money is money.
Not exactly. I looked this one up once. Take a look carefully at your coins. Pennies and nickels don't have little serrations on their edges. Dimes, quarters, and half dollars do. Coins with these serrations are known as "milled coins". The upshot of it is that you have a right to pay any debt in full with "milled coin". With respect to unmilled coin (pennies and nickels) you have a right to pay a debt up to about $25.00.

Just a quirk from the U.S. Code.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:37 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
Talking  

Hehehe he is lucky,THEY COULD HAVE DENIED IT!!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,758,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Even without school, you're talking about an area with lots of kids, dogs, joggers, bikers...overall higher pedestrian traffic. Fine should be higher than say 69 in a 60.
I agree. and this is the thing--I tend to stick up for drivers in terms of these ridiculous speed limits you see sometimes and how the police sometimes (or the city) does much of this just to separate people from their money. HOWEVER, I also have a huge amount of respect for the "sacredness" if you will of residential areas. I get tired of these "rat runners" who don't live on such roads using them for shortcuts on their work commute, and then griping about joggers and cyclists and children who "have no business playing in the street."

My response--the public nature of the road notwithstanding, if you don't live there, you have no business being back there. Those roads aren't designed with the idea of everyone in a 15 mile radius using that road for their work commute. The 4-lane "main" roads are what's meant for that, these road are prioritized towards the residents who actually LIVE there. They have the RIGHT to walk their dogs, take their babies in the strollers, let their older children ride their tricycles, and just plain take it easy on such roads. Masses of people who don't live there using those roads because it saves them half a mile on their work commute vs sticking the 4 lane highways, they have no business doing that and ESPECIALLY then complaining about people who LIVE there "getting in the way." As I've said in the past when I was the one living on such a road and someone would become mad and blow their horn because I was bicycling on the road and they were trying to zoom through in a quick manner: "I live on this road, what's YOUR excuse for being here?"

Old 05-30-2016, 02:02 AM

619 posts, read 323,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So, this man is making a clerk count 20,000+ cents (not pennies, cents - the federal government has never minted pennies - 1/100th of a dollar is a cent) in order to protest a city law enacted by local elected government (not by the clerk) and carried out by local law enforcement (not by the clerk).

Does anyone think the local government or police department care one iota that a clerk has to spend a few hours counting coins?

This idiot's grasp of basic logic is on par with his ability to follow the speed limit.
Exactly. Who exactly is going after? And why? While idiot may think it's excessive (or how did he put it? "Extortion"?) to make him pay this amount for his crime, it's not like he *didn't * break the law.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Man pays speeding ticket with 22,000 pennies | FOX25

$220 for going 39 in a 30? definitely sounds like policing for cash to me!

check out the video
Do you think the speed limit signs should have stated:

30 mph + 10

Old 05-30-2016, 03:11 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Man pays speeding ticket with 22,000 pennies | FOX25

$220 for going 39 in a 30? definitely sounds like policing for cash to me!

check out the video
Oh, how manfully cute, cute, cute. Why the hell not take just as much effort to drive within the speed limit.

What an asshat!

Old 05-30-2016, 07:42 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,632,131 times
Has that man got nothing better to do?

I hope he receives another $200 bill in the mail rather than a receipt... along with a ticket for Littering.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 AM

3,535 posts, read 6,955,421 times
In Texas the state tacks on fees to tickets. Last time I looked it was about $85. On top of any fine set by the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events